Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raw Water Pump Leaking on 2016 Malibu VTX

AS you can see in the video and photo there is a leak coming from the raw water pump. I replaced the impeller & gasket and the leak is still the same. A few notes: One of the bolts holding the front plate will not tighten. I swapped that bolt with one of the others & it still did not tighten but the one I swapped did (so the issue is with the female...). Could the leak be happening because I have 1 loose bolt? Is there a solution other than changing out the water pump housing? Could this leak be coming from something other than the water pump?Video and photos of leak, impeller and inside of housing

Looking at the video it looks like it’s coming from the backside of the impeller housing, not the front. They can leak from there too. There is a thread on here on how to rebuild them, or you can buy a new housing and have all the screw holes operational. They are easy to strip out if you over tighten the screws.

All: Some more photos & info:

There is an armature (bracket) you can see in the photo that looks like it should be bolted to something for support but it hangs loose and it can swivel in and out...could this be there to secure the water pump & currently not securing it...hence the leak. See photos & video from underneathNew photos and video for VTX water pump leak

19 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Looking at the video it looks like it’s coming from the backside of the impeller housing, not the front. They can leak from there too. There is a thread on here on how to rebuild them, or you can buy a new housing and have all the screw holes operational. They are easy to strip out if you over tighten the screws.

take a look at the new photos & video I addedhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/UY9FFFJNHzkSTcDHA

• Like 1

Yeah - looks like the seal on the backside is leaking.  Likely because the bracket that keeps the pump from spinning and holds some of the weight is not connected and the pump has been allowed to just flop around.

Buy new pump or rebuild current one.  My vote would be to buy a new one

Edited by oldjeep

I concur with the Jeep, you should buy a new housing and get it put back together correctly with the mounting bracket. Looks like shes been leaking for a while.