Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shallow Launch Trouble - Cannot Float Off Trailer

Kswa

Hi All, Our cabin has a shallow launch that works fine in the spring but as the lake drops over the summer I can no longer get deep enough to float off of the trailer. Anybody deal with this issue and have any suggestions to help unloading? Winching back on can be a little tough but doable. My biggest problem is getting off the trailer.

Does your launch ramp end or drop off? If not just back in further, on a level ramp you can get your truck pretty far in without doing much damage. I’ve had my running boards full submerged to get a x24 off the trailer. Diffs should be sealed and exhaust is fine if you keep it running. 

You might be able to get some extra depth using receiver extensions like this:

IMG_4951.thumb.jpeg.8a3ed0b3969475be96eac44618be11fd.jpeg

probably wouldn’t want to tow at highway speeds but it might be worth swapping out at the launch parking lot.

Maybe swap to roller bunks?  Or I agree - if it doesn’t drop off, I have launched with all 4 tires well into the water before, so just keep backing up.  

15 hours ago, Kswa said:

Hi All, Our cabin has a shallow launch that works fine in the spring but as the lake drops over the summer I can no longer get deep enough to float off of the trailer. Anybody deal with this issue and have any suggestions to help unloading? Winching back on can be a little tough but doable. My biggest problem is getting off the trailer.

Edited to redact post.

Thanks to the moderators for everything they do!

Edited by justgary
56 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Use some silicone spray on bunks.  It'll make it easier to push off and winch on.

Yup.  It'll come off.  Including in the parking lot or half way down the ramp if you are not careful with the strap.  

17 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

Yup.  It'll come off.  Including in the parking lot or half way down the ramp if you are not careful with the strap.  

Yes.  You definitely need to hook your safety chain and use the transom straps as soon as it is out of water 

Thanks all, I did pick up some liquid rollers to try this weekend. Unfortunately the launch gets shallower if I go back more. I put the trailer tires in the deepest part. It has concrete pads at the bottom so I can’t make a hole. Sorry for the double post. Realized this was probably a better place. 

26 minutes ago, Kswa said:

liquid rollers

Use extreme caution.  I'd consider being strategic with the application and not just coating the whole bunks.  A little friction is a good thing running down the highway.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

Use extreme caution.  I'd consider being strategic with the application and not just coating the whole bunks.  A little friction is a good thing running down the highway.  

Meh.  People survive using full roller trailers.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Meh.  People survive using full roller trailers.

Sure they do.  But people also get used to how a boat sits on a bunk trailer with friction holding it on and get careless with the strap and forget and the boat ends up on the pavement.  I have personally seen this happen more than once.  And I could see me forgetting so maybe I'm projecting bit.  

I use cheap turtle paste wax on my carpet bunks every couple of years. It takes about 4 containers. It lasts well. It makes  the bunks slick so attach your bow straps before exiting the water. 

Edited by RebesMalibu
11 hours ago, Kswa said:

I put the trailer tires in the deepest part. It has concrete pads at the bottom so I can’t make a hole.

What about turning to one side a bit as you get down the ramp?  You don't want to undermine the concrete (well, actually it sounds like a good idea), but a little strategic prop wash can do wonders at creating a deeper ramp.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

What about turning to one side a bit as you get down the ramp?  You don't want to undermine the concrete (well, actually it sounds like a good idea), but a little strategic prop wash can do wonders at creating a deeper ramp.

Well, deeper in one spot and then a mound back a little further ;)

10 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Are we talking needing an inch or two.  Letting the air out of the tires helps clear a garage, would also help here.

Everything helps so this is definitely an option. A roller trailer would probably be ideal however I haven’t seen anything that handles the weight of these boats. 

14 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Use some silicone spray on bunks.  It'll make it easier to push off and winch on.

This is what I do. Our launch is only a couple feet deep and does not drop off. Almost even with the road. I need the bunk spray more for loading than unloading.

IMG_3493.thumb.png.68794f4253fade4b2a85d583338f5c07.png

23 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Well, deeper in one spot and then a mound back a little further ;)

If you are in forward gear, yes.  It isn't too hard to get what you need with a bit of strategic thrust placement.  The mound can easily end up deep enough to not matter at all.  It can also end up on the shore.

For that matter, a gas-powered 2" trash pump could make a great place in about 30 minutes and have all of it on the shore.  Tree roots could be a problem.  I'm not suggesting that anybody should go out in the dark of night without a dredge and fill permit, but I might have seen it happen in the past.

At the very least, power loading has a way of keeping the concrete ramp from silting up, giving you the deepest water you can get from it.

This may sound a little extreme, but if your cabin is in a community with others having the same issue you could do what a nieghbor did at his vacation home.

He bought a Farmall tractor for about 4 or 5 Grand. and launches and retrieves with it.

You could offset some of the cost by renting it to other nieghbors to launch their boats.

Also you would be the coolest guy on the lake. LOL

1218625803_Tractorlaunch.jpg.c0a6ab4aaf5f2b3a686120a9a9599b8d.jpg

Edited by Rack
  • Like 2

You could probably use a quick spray of Pam on the bunks if you want to see if it will help slide on/off - I remember using silicone spray on my jet ski ramp and I would go up and right back down - way too slick.  Pam wears off pretty quick so you probably wouldn’t have the issue of staying really slick while trailering.