Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Micorfiber Towels

jfish1288

I always wipe down the boat with Hot Sauce after pulling it out. I have used various microfiber towels through the years, and find that some seem more absorbent than others. I tend to think of the more absorbent ones as "better" but I don't actually know if that is true.

What types of towels are you guys using?

How are you cleaning the towels after use? I have been washing with regular laundry detergent, and I think they are becoming less absorbent over time because they are not getting clean enough.

Can't say that I have seen absorbent micro fiber, I use them for cleaning but they don't really hold much moisture.  I use chamois for drying (or just regular old beach towels)

Edited by oldjeep

On the boat, I just use a dry beach towel to wipe it off.  For my truck I have a couple of towels from Chemical Guys.  My Dad has a 63 Ford Galaxy and a Roush Mustang that he always hand washes.  I just got a couple for him for Father's day since he is hard to buy for.  The key to these towels seems to be to just lay the towel flat on the surface and rub your hand across the towel and not wipe the water off.  Prevents streaks and works really well getting the surface completely dry.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/woolly-mammoth-microfibers-drying-towel/woolly-mammoth-microfibers-drying-towel.html

I used to search around, but found they were all about the same and microfiber doesn’t really absorb. So I just started buying a bulk pack from Sam’s/Costco and throw them away after using. A pack gets me through the season and only costs about $20.

• Like 4

I find for basic wiping down and cleaning microfibres never seem to last. Generally buy the kirland ones from Costco or just use a beach towel. 

Edited by Cole2001
  • Like 3

I tend to grab Micros from Harbor Freight, they seem to work decent for cleaning and are cheap but I agree not for end of day wipe down. We use old beach/bath towels as well and we definitely avoid fabric softener of any kind on any car or boat towels. Makes a huge difference.

Costco packs of yellows.  I wash them with with detergent made for microfiber, but the second they hit the ground or look worn, they are in the trash.  

I am a detail guy so the idea of using beach towels or shop towels makes me cringe.  

For an absorbent microfiber I like the Chemical guys options as well as others.  https://www.chemicalguys.com/woolly-mammoth-microfibers-drying-towel/woolly-mammoth-microfibers-drying-towel.html

I will up a pressurized bottle with ONR or similar rinse less wash and then use the towels to dry it off. 

I use two chemical guys microfiber towels for drying. They are big like beach towel size. Think they were about 20 bucks each. All too often I forget them and use the yellow costco microfiber towels I keep in the truck. Like was said earlier if they touch the ground I toss them. 

On 6/5/2023 at 12:50 PM, jfish1288 said:

How are you cleaning the towels after use? I have been washing with regular laundry detergent, and I think they are becoming less absorbent over time because they are not getting clean enough.

Use the P&S Microfiber wash,  cold or warm water,  dry on low temp, no softener in washer or dryer.    I always run a rinse cycle before washing to try to remove any left over chemicals or dirt from the towels so the wash water is cleaner.   

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Detail-Products-Microfiber-Concentrated/dp/B08NWJ68NX

Edited by gtfish

You mean there are other options than a slightly damp beach towel to dry off the boat with? My poor Sunsetter has only received the beach towel treatment for the past +30 years :lol:

29 minutes ago, 87Warrior said:

You mean there are other options than a slightly damp beach towel to dry off the boat with? My poor Sunsetter has only received the beach towel treatment for the past +30 years :lol:

We are on a lift.  We have lost 1/2 dozen "slightly damp beach towels" when the kids drop them in the water by accident.  It amazes me that in 5' of water how quickly you can't find them once the go under (our water isn't very clear!)  Because of this we use smaller cheaper towels!

If you keep a good sealer or wax on the boat there isn’t a bunch of moisture left on the surface of the boat for wipedown. I maybe go through 4/5 per wipe down including interior. the girls wipe down the interior and boys take the exterior 

I use the yellow Costco towels and treat them as semi disposable, they go from the boat bin to wash( oxyclean) and either back in the bin or relegated to the shop towel bin for metal /grease clean up, then to trash

Edited by Stevo

I was confused about the absorption issue of microfiber and just realized why microfiber works for us vs a damp beach towel. We don’t wipe down at the marina. Too hot standing out on the asphalt and too many people standing around. We pull it home, letting it air dry, and then use Hot Sauce and microfiber towels once it’s in the garage. Some people wipe it down while other put the gear away and hang up the wet life jackets. Microfiber works great in that scenario.

I find that for wipedown, old terry cloth shower towels do the job just fine.  I spray the whole boat with a mix of Meguiars detail wax with a tiny bit of vinegar in it.  Most people don't believe my boat is above legal drinking age.  :)

• Like 2

Check out the Rag Company.  They have a great selection based upon application and at reasonable prices.  I have used their stuff with no dissatisfaction or issue. 

Menards (at least the one by me) has some great microfiber towels at great prices  (Viking Microfiber Monster Drying Towel $8.99)  Works very well, big, thicker and absorbent.   I was surprised to find them there.

One thing I found out in the last year is how to care for a microfiber towel.  I never knew the dryer degrades them.  I always washed and dried them with other towels, and now I know to never dry them, and also to not wash them with other fabrics, as they will collect and imbed the lint from the other fabric and then you've defeated the purpose of the microfiber.