Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 23 LSV Throttle Position Sensor???

englandsrsu

I had our first major issue this past weekend. I believe the throttle position sensor is the problem. Can anyone advise?

Friday- Ran the boat like normal for 2-3 hours, stopped to eat at the marina for an hour, leaving I throttled up as normal then quickly throttled back as we were about to lose unsecured gear. Stowed the gear, then throttled back up. (it all happened quickly) This time, the power seemed to disappear slowly and the engine shuttered (no alarms). I stopped and shut everything down, checked the prop, and started back up. At this point engine is sputtering and shaking at 1000 RPM. Slowly made it back home. 

Sat.- Troubleshooting- with fake a lake, engine is backfiring and getting hot. Check impeller (its new late last season and in good working order), change thermostat, still backfiring, change all plugs and wires (none of the plugs were gapped to manufacturers specs, change distributor cap, and rotor. Pull full rails and test injectors (#1 misfire code) this injector is clogged. 3 bottles of heat fuel treatment. 

At this point we get things running on land fairly well. go to the lake for sea trial and at 2800 RPM, lose all power and slight shutter. 

Sun. - no parts = no boating

Mon. - no parts = no boating

Tues. - Parts ordered

Wed. - hurry up and wait

Thurs. - UPS should be here anytime.

Can a bad TPS cause injector to clog?

Am I on the right track?

Anything I should know for this evening when changing that TPS?

The TPS sends a signal to the ECM so a multiplier can be used to affect the fuel injector BPW (base pulse width) either keeping the injectors opened longer to enrichen the fuel mixture during acceration or to shorten how long the injectors are open to lean the mixture during deceleration.  This prevents backfires or bogging when the throttle is moved quickly.

Low or high fuel pressure, a clogged or leaking injector, ignition problem, or an internal engine mechanical issue may be a more likely cause of the running issue.  Checking the fuel pressure, cylinder compression, and spark plugs would be a good place to start. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I had TPS go out at Lake Powell. Was able to get one at auto zone for 250 bucks. We googled the part number on the TPS and a 2007 Chevy Sierra came up. We went to auto zone asked for a 2007 Sierra TPS they had one it looked just like the one we took off the boat. Bought it put it on boat runs like a champ the marine dealer in page Arizona wanted over $1000 for one and it was special order.

21 hours ago, sorinorrin said:

I had TPS go out at Lake Powell. Was able to get one at auto zone for 250 bucks. We googled the part number on the TPS and a 2007 Chevy Sierra came up. We went to auto zone asked for a 2007 Sierra TPS they had one it looked just like the one we took off the boat. Bought it put it on boat runs like a champ the marine dealer in page Arizona wanted over $1000 for one and it was special order.

What engine and what was the part number?.  Would be good to have a spare.