Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

illusion x pin problem

Mike d Wakeboarder

i have a 07 VLX with an illusion x. i have not had it out on the water yet but i have one question. i have 2 friends with 06 23LSVs with illusion x towers. both of them have had problems with the pins on the tower that hold it up poping out when you drive it. a few times there tower almost fell down after the pins poped out. they ended up putting duct tape over the pins so they did not come out. have any of you had this problem with your tower. :)

Edited by Mike d Wakeboarder

This has been brought up several times already.

Pull the pins, lower the tower.

On the tower base there are adjusting set screws that need to be tightened. Slide the pins back in the holes and tighten the set screws slowly while moving the pins in & out. When the pin won't come out, back off the set screw until it comes out but it is still hard to pull. There are springs with steel balls under the set screws that ride in the notch on the pin. The springs have to be loaded enough to push the ball into the notch with enough force to not let the pin work out on it's on. Make sure to set the pin ring behind the space in the tower so it won't work out.

On the tower base there are adjusting set screws that need to be tightened. Slide the pins back in the holes and tighten the set screws slowly while moving the pins in & out. When the pin won't come out, back off the set screw until it comes out but it is still hard to pull. There are springs with steel balls under the set screws that ride in the notch on the pin. The springs have to be loaded enough to push the ball into the notch with enough force to not let the pin work out on it's on. Make sure to set the pin ring behind the space in the tower so it won't work out.

thanks. that is a great thing to know Biggrin.gif

My 06 had the same problem and believe it or not, the screws were never put in from the factory or dealer. I called Metcraft and they were kind enough to overnight them to me. Great cutomer service and an easy problem to fix.

Wht doesn't Malibu and Metcraft put this info in the troubleshooting pages of owners manual?

My 06 had the same problem and believe it or not, the screws were never put in from the factory or dealer. I called Metcraft and they were kind enough to overnight them to me. Great cutomer service and an easy problem to fix.

WOW Crazy.gif that is crazy. i have not checked mine yet. i will be taking it out of storage in less then 2 weeks so i will check it then. it is at the dealer so if i do not have screws i will hav e them get me some. thanks for the heads up. :)

WOW Crazy.gif that is crazy. i have not checked mine yet. i will be taking it out of storage in less then 2 weeks so i will check it then. it is at the dealer so if i do not have screws i will hav e them get me some. thanks for the heads up. :)

Yeah just take a look at the pins, if they pull out easy you will need to make an adjustment. Many dealers do this before delivery.... but it also sound like some don't Mad.gif