Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Gate Retracting Slowly- Need Help

I have a 2017 Axis and have been having issues with the port side surf gate. It was not deploying in service mode or on the water but in service mode you could hear it trying to retract. So I replaced the 4 pack relay with a new one from Malibu. Now the surf gates both extend as they should but the port side retracts slowly, the starboard gate comes in fully and quickly. The Port gate moves in much slower and cycles on and off 3 times until it fully stows in service mode. I have not tested on the water yet.  I have checked the wire connection on the port gate and it was clean. What else would cause the port gate to retract slowly?

The actuator could move slowly if the hydraulic bypass value is partially open, if there is an internal hydraulic leak, if the wires from the connector to the actuator are damaged, or if the actuator motor is worn or damaged.

2 minutes ago, csleaver said:

The actuator could move slowly if the hydraulic bypass value is partially open, if there is an internal hydraulic leak, if the wires from the connector to the actuator are damaged, or if the actuator motor is worn or damaged.

Thanks @csleaver  I made sure the red bypass valve is closed tight. We have rarely ever surfed with the port gate  so it has gotten very minimal use so I wouldn't expect it to be worn out. Im going to open up the through hull fitting to check the wires, I have already pulled the floor to check connector and wires there.   Since it just reverses polarity to retract would that indicate all the connections are fine since it deploys properly? Is there a way to check for internal leak? 

Malibu does not have any internal parts or service kits available for the surf gate actuators and I do not have any information on who may have them available.  If there is an actuator hydraulic issue, water intrusion, or actuator harness failure, then the only thing I could recommend is actuator replacement.