Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Big Guy" ski

mook222

Help.gif

I've skiied since high school, and getting up on one has never been an issue until recently. I wakeboard now 80% of the time, but every once in a while we'll have an all day "ski, board, knee board, tube marathon" on the lake and I like to ski in between wakeboard sets.

I've started having a little trouble getting up on one and am sticking to the excuse that it is because I am using my wife's ski that is too small for me. (I realize that this is probably not the case and it has more to do with my age approaching the 1/2 century mark, or that my back can no longer pull my rear out of the water)

Anyway, I've seen the wider skiis that are designed for bigger guys, and wondered if anyone has used these or if they are "taboo" with the hardcore skiers. Also, even if they are taboo, would they make it easier to get up, and do they perform the same as normal ski once you hit 30mph?

Thanks for any experience that you can share.

Mook

Note: My wife skiis on an O'Brien "World Team" ski (which is what I can get up on but is becoming more and more difficult), and I'm approx 6'2" & 210lbs.

Sounds like the HO Charger 69" would be perfect for you. It is wider and easier to get up on, but still can be taken through the course.

Another to consider in the HO line would be the Triumph 69". It is a bit more responsive than the Charger. It is what I ski on.

The wide skis can make a significant difference in ease of getting up on 1. If your wife's ski is sized correctly for her, it most likely is too small for you. A wider ski may be taboo for some of the hard core course junkies, but if you're not skiing short line in the course at 36 - it doesn't really matter. There are also typically 2 distinct levels of wide-ride skis. You have the REALLY wide skis, that are good for learning & skiing mostly straight behind the boat, then there are the wide/shaped skis based off of each brand's top of the line ski. The slightly wider skis seem like they would fit you well. Some examples the slightly wider skis would be HO Nitro/Triumph/FreeRide, Radar Senate/Theory, Connelly FIX, Obrien Synchro, etc. They are wider, but can still hold their own in the course through 32 or 34 MPH. I've recently switched from the FreeRide Charger(69") to the HO Vengeance (not made any more, but similar to the Nitro). 6'2", 240. You probably want to stay away from skis like the HO Rival, or Connelly Big Daddy. They are easy to get up on, but wouldn't really hold up well to an attempt in the course.

Edited by weinrdog

I am also looking at a new ski for this season. The HO Triumph is in my sights. The only problem I am having is that I am not sure what length..67" or 69"? I am a pudgy 5'9" 210 lbs. I am leaning towards the 69" just for the added length and perhaps easier get up. I am not too concerned about the course, but I do like to get a bit agressive in the recreational sense. Like every other chubby old guy, I "plan" on shedding some lb's so I don't want to be stuck with stick that is too big either. If I get to my target weight at 180, is the 69" the wrong ski? Any suggestions?

I am also looking at a new ski for this season. The HO Triumph is in my sights. The only problem I am having is that I am not sure what length..67" or 69"? I am a pudgy 5'9" 210 lbs. I am leaning towards the 69" just for the added length and perhaps easier get up. I am not too concerned about the course, but I do like to get a bit agressive in the recreational sense. Like every other chubby old guy, I "plan" on shedding some lb's so I don't want to be stuck with stick that is too big either. If I get to my target weight at 180, is the 69" the wrong ski? Any suggestions?

Try them both out.

I demoed a Triumph 67 and loved it. My wife got me a Triumph 69 as a surprise last year, which was the correct size for me based on my weight - at the time 5'11" 195#. I didn't like the ski. It felt sluggish to me and so traded it in for the 67". I have since dropped over 20# and am anxious to try out the ski this year not dragging as much weight.

I would still suggest you demo the ski, but my guess is that you will want the 67.

Help.gif

I've skiied since high school, and getting up on one has never been an issue until recently. I wakeboard now 80% of the time, but every once in a while we'll have an all day "ski, board, knee board, tube marathon" on the lake and I like to ski in between wakeboard sets.

I've started having a little trouble getting up on one and am sticking to the excuse that it is because I am using my wife's ski that is too small for me. (I realize that this is probably not the case and it has more to do with my age approaching the 1/2 century mark, or that my back can no longer pull my rear out of the water)

Anyway, I've seen the wider skiis that are designed for bigger guys, and wondered if anyone has used these or if they are "taboo" with the hardcore skiers. Also, even if they are taboo, would they make it easier to get up, and do they perform the same as normal ski once you hit 30mph?

Thanks for any experience that you can share.

Mook

Note: My wife skiis on an O'Brien "World Team" ski (which is what I can get up on but is becoming more and more difficult), and I'm approx 6'2" & 210lbs.

As some of the other members have posted, I also highly recommend the HO Charger (lets say 28-30mph). Two years ago I switched to a 69" Charger as well (215-220lbs) 5' 10 and loved it but have since moved up. If you are in the course quite a bit or want something more nimble, the Triumph would be a good choice for the added performance at say 30-32mph (it's a little narrower and has characteristics of the System 8 with an adjustable fin for us larger individuals) Up from there, say (32-34mph) you could chose the Nitro which is only a slightly shaped ski that is good for performance/competition up to 34mph for those of us with big bones. HO has been wonderful with sharing detail and info on the phone & E-mail responses. Plus, if you look around, you can get a good deal on a previous year model that may just have different graphics ....

Adrenaline watersports HOskishop etc.

A few years ago, when I couldnt get out of the water, after not skiing since high school, i bought a HO Rival. I used it for a couple of years and then got a Triumph last year.

I used to like to make my runs at the course a few years back. Knee injury and later surgery mixed with the 3 babies every 2 years and many extra pounds unfortunately took me out of the running for that.

Two summers ago I found myself not able to get up on my slalom anymore either. I blamed it on the old Nautique. Then we got the Bu last year--same result. So off I went to find a longer ski. I also chose the Charger so that I could use it a slow enough speeds to maybe make my attempts back at the course again. I absolutely love it! Now I just need to continue to get into shape so I can use it more this year. I was so surprised to see how easy it turned considering how much wider it was than my old Connelly. The tail is a lot wider too. Also wider than the O'Brien world team you were using (tail and forebody). I compared those side by side since that is what my husband uses and I also considered a smaller version of his.

Weinrdog--too bad I didn't ask for advince when I was looking--you could have just sold me your Charger when you switched!

TeamLombo,

How fast do you ski? I'm about the same size as you and I go the 69" for xmas, I can't wait to try it out. This is the ski that is the "right" size for me, but as you know you are right on the borderline. I would say if you ski at 33-36 you may want to go down a size to the 67" but the 69" would still be OK, especially if you didn't actually shed those pounds.

Trying it would be the best, but if you have to make a decision I would factor in whether your actually going to shed the pounds and the speed you ski at. If you just can't decide, go with HO's recommendations (69" for you) they've been doing this for a while, they should have the sizes figured out by now Biggrin.gif

mook222,

I bought a Triumph 1/2 way through the season last year. It is a good stable ski. The design is a system8 with about 3/4" added through the middle. I am 52 6' 180 and ski a 67". I ski the course with it, does fine, mostly I free ski and have a blast. At 220 you may want to go with the 69"

Edited by awilco
Weinrdog--too bad I didn't ask for advince when I was looking--you could have just sold me your Charger when you switched!

89 - I would have if you had asked early enough. I sold it to a friend just after I got the Vengeance. I'm considering moving to a Senate this year and migrating to the newer designs (MPD vs CDX based) - know anyone who wants a Vengeance - it's significantly more aggressive than the Charger, but still feels similar - it's about 1/2" narrower the entire length?

(Just kidding, there are 2 69" around here on Ski-it-again & if I get the boat, all my extra funds will be tied up getting it customized to my liking)

B Potts,

I will usually ski 28 to 32 mph @ 15' off. Sometimes I'll go down to the orange 22' off. I will even try to push it sometimes and kick up the speed to get in a couple good wipeouts and provide some entertainment...then go back to reality.

Edited by TeamLombo

Being a little larger than you I got the HO Magnum, same ski as the charger just a 71. Best thing I ever did, I can get up easily and spend my energy skiing. Don't feel bad going for a big ski if that works for you. Because of kids I've only been on a ski once or twice a year for the last couple. This ski has allowed me to get up first try and have fun.

B Potts,

I will usually ski 28 to 32 mph @ 15' off. Sometimes I'll go down to the orange 22' off. I will even try to push it sometimes and kick up the speed to get in a couple good wipeouts and provide some entertainment...then go back to reality.

TeamLombo,

My guess is you'd be happier with the 69" then, but what do I know.. ;)

I can probably speak to big guy better than anyone else. I am 6'5", 240 pounds. I learned to ski 3 summers ago (35 years old) and I was closer to 260 when I first started slalom skiing. I can tell you that without a doubt shaped skis work. When I was trying to ski on two, I couldn't even get close with regular skis then I got a pair of shaped combos and was up after a couple attempts. My first slalom ski was a 68.5" HO Rival. It was a decent first ski and lasted me about 1 year. If I could learn to get up on it, that means it was a very easy ski to get up on. Before last summer, I switched to a 71" Triumph. I think the Triumph is a great ski. From what my research was, the levels go from Rival to Charger/Magnum to Triumph. In my opinion, if you are already an experienced skier, a Triumph would be a good ski for you.

'Bu Crew,

I really appreciate all the info.

Looks like there are more "big skiiers" than I expected amongst the crew....

I'm going to see what I can find on E-Bay and the net before buying new, but the Charger or Triumph 69" are most likely going to work better than what I've got now.

Thanks for the assist!!

Mook

Clap.gif

'Bu Crew,

I really appreciate all the info.

Looks like there are more "big skiiers" than I expected amongst the crew....

I'm going to see what I can find on E-Bay and the net before buying new, but the Charger or Triumph 69" are most likely going to work better than what I've got now.

Thanks for the assist!!

Mook

Clap.gif

Keep an eye out at ski-it-again.com, adrenaline watersports and a few other online retailers. It's possible to pick up a previous year model for less than $200. The ski hasn't changed, just the graphics

Like skistud said, Adrenaline has the '05 Triumph for $179 (67 or 69"). Personally, I think it's better looking than the '06s anyway.

By the way, we have both the Charger and Triumph. I like the Triumph way better and I don't think you'd go wrong with it. The Charger is really easy to ski but I don't think it will hold up in the course or be as strong a performer as the Triumph.

I may have an older Charger for sale soon if you're interested... :)

CarveItUp,

I agree on the Triumph it skis better than the Charger. I tried the Charger before I bought the Triumph.

So, how is Bend these days.

I started going up there in 1976 when my brother moved there from SLO Ca.

At that time there was only one Mac and no other fast food and only one stop light in the town.

I love the area, brother still lives there, have not been there in over 3 years.

Andy

Don't forget to look at your form also. If you have something going on in your launch it can make or brake getting up. I think this is more important as we age and put on an extra pound or two.

Don't forget to look at your form also. If you have something going on in your launch it can make or brake getting up. I think this is more important as we age and put on an extra pound or two.

Amen to that. I could be something as simple as a smaller lifevest that isn't floating you as high in the water. The important things for me are to make sure I am floating as high as possible in the water and then to keep as much ski as possible out of the water.