Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MBB Viper400 No Sound Zone 1

Hi,

I have a ‘17 Axis A22, with an MBB Viper400 head unit.  I have no sound in Zone 1 (internal amp), but I do have sound in Zone 2(external amp).  Has anybody heard of the internal amp getting blown, or is there something else I should check?  If the internal amp is blown, what are my options - I can’t find a replacement online.

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 8:22 AM, shawndoggy said:

@shawndoggy any idea if the 400m (linked) and the 400 which I can't find are the same or how they are different?

My full system just started cutting out and is now gone amps and heads had power the hole time and still function but nothing to any speaker or zone.

12 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

@shawndoggy any idea if the 400m (linked) and the 400 which I can't find are the same or how they are different?

My full system just started cutting out and is now gone amps and heads had power the hole time and still function but nothing to any speaker or zone.

The 400M has all of the Malibu proprietary plugs for the dsp amps. The 400 has rcas and is universal. If you are getting rid of the dsp amps anyway the 400 is a good option, though you will lose the surf gate alarm. If you are keeping the amps the 400M is the way to go. 

On 6/19/2023 at 8:00 AM, shawndoggy said:

The 400M has all of the Malibu proprietary plugs for the dsp amps. The 400 has rcas and is universal. If you are getting rid of the dsp amps anyway the 400 is a good option, though you will lose the surf gate alarm. If you are keeping the amps the 400M is the way to go. 

@shawndoggy - sorry I'm dense here...  I would in theory like to keep my amps (no issue with them that I'm aware of) and the current unit is a 400.  How would I lose anything going to the M if the M is the more proprietary unit?

2 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

@shawndoggy - sorry I'm dense here...  I would in theory like to keep my amps (no issue with them that I'm aware of) and the current unit is a 400.  How would I lose anything going to the M if the M is the more proprietary unit?

You need the M unit. https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/medallion-boat-radio-receiver-6312046-mbb-viper400m-sirius-bluetooth

The non-M unit is for use with standard (not wetsounds DSP/propietary) amplifiers.

18 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

You need the M unit. https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/medallion-boat-radio-receiver-6312046-mbb-viper400m-sirius-bluetooth

The non-M unit is for use with standard (not wetsounds DSP/propietary) amplifiers.

@shawndoggy but why would I have the non-M unit now (stock) that's the part that's messing with my head (unless they didn't say M on the front in '18)

20230618_155553.jpg

3 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

@shawndoggy but why would I have the non-M unit now (stock) that's the part that's messing with my head (unless they didn't say M on the front in '18)

20230618_155553.jpg

do you have dsp amps?  

I have a non-M version and it has regular RCA pre-outs.  I replaced all my DSP amps with regular (non dsp) amps, so that works for me.  If you have DSP amps, you want the M version.  If you don't have DSP amps you don't.  

If you have DSP amps and a non-M version, all I can say is that Malibu and Prospec probably had some kind of OEM deal and Prospec made some M versions without stamping the M on there?

21 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

do you have dsp amps?  

I have a non-M version and it has regular RCA pre-outs.  I replaced all my DSP amps with regular (non dsp) amps, so that works for me.  If you have DSP amps, you want the M version.  If you don't have DSP amps you don't.  

If you have DSP amps and a non-M version, all I can say is that Malibu and Prospec probably had some kind of OEM deal and Prospec made some M versions without stamping the M on there?

@shawndoggy - I'll have to look but since I'm sound system dumb what exactly is a dsp amp?  I see DSP and think Digital Signal Procesisng from college but I think this sounds like a brand/etc...

1 hour ago, MustGoFast said:

@shawndoggy - I'll have to look but since I'm sound system dumb what exactly is a dsp amp?  I see DSP and think Digital Signal Procesisng from college but I think this sounds like a brand/etc...

no you are smart!  DSP = digital signal processing.  Wetsounds makes proprietary amps with pre-set dsp settings for Malibu so that customers don't blow their speakers or amps by poorly tuning them.  If your amps have RCA inputs and settable crossovers and gains, you don't have DSP amps.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:40 AM, shawndoggy said:

no you are smart!  DSP = digital signal processing.  Wetsounds makes proprietary amps with pre-set dsp settings for Malibu so that customers don't blow their speakers or amps by poorly tuning them.  If your amps have RCA inputs and settable crossovers and gains, you don't have DSP amps.

So I need the non-m version then.  When I was in there I saw paired RCA connectors I dind't look for any setabble crossover/gains though.  What would the proprietary connector have looked like (just making sure I dind't confuse it).

Thus if I need the non M version any idea where to source one?  I keep striking out on trying to replace the head unit/remote to test that too and haven't found the non m other htan a dealer link that wanted 1200 when the m I found was like 300.

PPS ... your note says w/ out the M prop you lose surfgate alarms... I think I have those but don't have the M I'm confused... assuming you mean the alarm when you go to fast w/ surfgate out. @shawndoggy

Edited by MustGoFast
  • 10 months later...

@shawndoggy - just wanted to say thanks... Took me most of the winter to find a stupid black box as sadly the version I had was not available anywhere ended up having to order from the dealer at 2x the price of all the out of stock places I found on line.  On the bright side hull is wet this spring and stereo is back to new again!