Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Waterski fin protector?

skistud1

I recently saw what appeared to be a molded PVC tube around a waterski fin block and I'm trying to figure out where to buy one. Can anybody point me in the right direction? It goes by an odd sounding website IIRC.

I made one similar to this one ( I broke it)

http://www.h2osmosis.com/IMG/jpg/fin_protector.jpg

What I liked about the PVC is that it wrapped around the tail of the ski and didn't touch the fin. The owner of the ski even stood on the tail!

Edited by skistud1

From the waterski forum:

Cheap fin guard - 4" thinwall PVC, about 14" length. Fit an old sock over the end of the ski, then the PVC. Works like a charm

If you want to, you can cut off the upper portion of the PVC, so it is shaped like a C. It will still protect the fin, but won't stick up too far from the top of the ski. You'll have to look/experiment. IIRC the moulded PVC fin guard was made just around the corner from here in Morrow, OH, but I can't seem to find the site.

Edited by weinrdog

Kind of a neat idea. Though it protects the fin nicely, one of my fears of airline handling would be the tail of the ski/fin.

Corey, you may want to put something in your profile that clarifies your business interests. Lots of friendly folks here that'd be glad to help you out.

From the waterski forum:
Cheap fin guard - 4" thinwall PVC, about 14" length. Fit an old sock over the end of the ski, then the PVC. Works like a charm

If you want to, you can cut off the upper portion of the PVC, so it is shaped like a C. It will still protect the fin, but won't stick up too far from the top of the ski. You'll have to look/experiment. IIRC the moulded PVC fin guard was made just around the corner from here in Morrow, OH, but I can't seem to find the site.

Thanks.

I think I might try that route first. What I liked about the PVC setup is nothing touched the fin and it appears it would be more protective of a side impact.

I work for www.waterskis.com an online watersports store. We also have a storefront in Crystal, MN.

We have a large pro shop and an MC dealership. (There's a good Bu dealer in MN so I don't see us getting the Bu line anytime soon)

Since we've started our website we've actually had quite a few hits coming from themalibucrew. I think somebody must have posted a link for a product or event. Because we had traffic coming from this site I checked it out. The main thing I need is a picture of a BI XTI Boom which is installed on a boat, then I need authorization to use the picture on our site (see XTI BOOM post)

Personally I've worked at a waterski/wakeboard shop since 1995 and I am excited to se how much the industry has grown over the years.

Nice website, and great product selection, how about offering a Malibu Crew member discount?

I work for www.waterskis.com an online watersports store. We also have a storefront in Crystal, MN.

We have a large pro shop and an MC dealership. (There's a good Bu dealer in MN so I don't see us getting the Bu line anytime soon)

Since we've started our website we've actually had quite a few hits coming from themalibucrew. I think somebody must have posted a link for a product or event. Because we had traffic coming from this site I checked it out. The main thing I need is a picture of a BI XTI Boom which is installed on a boat, then I need authorization to use the picture on our site (see XTI BOOM post)

Personally I've worked at a waterski/wakeboard shop since 1995 and I am excited to se how much the industry has grown over the years.

We could probobally offer a discount to members. I don't really have anyway to track who is actually a member but in the grand scheme of things I don't think we need to be to strict about it.

For now you can use coupon code tmc and save 10% on ski and wakeboard products and accessories.

We could probobally offer a discount to members. I don't really have anyway to track who is actually a member but in the grand scheme of things I don't think we need to be to strict about it.

For now you can use coupon code tmc and save 10% on ski and wakeboard products and accessories.

COOL! and Thanks, I would also hope that it would be good for water skis and accessories?

I knew I would find it with a little perseverance:

http://shortline-sports.com/db1/00099/shor...finfirkin50.JPG

and I also had to make use of Andy's generous offer. Yahoo.gif

Again, the advantage that I personally saw with this model is nothing touched the fin, something to consider when trying to keep something with .001" in spec.

Edited by skistud1
Hey Rob,

If you want one of those, Morrow is just down the road from here. I'll go get a couple. One for me of course Biggrin.gif

Thanks for the offer, but I just sent them payment via Paypal.

Finally got my calipers last week Yahoo.gif however, unless the fin was seriously banged around (which I doubt) I must be taking measurements wrong with my digital vs. Wade's dial caliper. I'm very close, but not quite. I'll bring my setting/numbers when I see you in May.

At our ski club a member makes one out of wood. I would be happy to get pictures for you if you want. I actually have an extra one I could send to you.

Brad