Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interior Seam Repair - 11 year old vinyl

As much as I tell everyone to quit stepping here...  :)  I have zero experience working with vinyl like this, but there are some pretty cheap kits out there with curved needles and heavy duty thread.  Do I have any chance of closing this thing myself?  Any tips from the group here would be greatly appreciated!  It's complicated taking this thing to the shop - boat's on a lift and my trailer is stored at a relative's house so if I can do this myself it would be wonderful!

TIA!vinyl_repair.thumb.JPEG.566cd1dd8ac52523fa42c28478ab17a8.JPEG

Edited by BCoch
missing photo
1 hour ago, BCoch said:

As much as I tell everyone to quit stepping here...  :)  I have zero experience working with vinyl like this, but there are some pretty cheap kits out there with curved needles and heavy duty thread.  Do I have any chance of closing this thing myself?  Any tips from the group here would be greatly appreciated!  It's complicated taking this thing to the shop - boat's on a lift and my trailer is stored at a relative's house so if I can do this myself it would be wonderful!

TIA!

If it is a removable cushion, you could remove it and take it to a shop.  What part can you step on that isn't removable?

Based on the pic I think trying a needle will make it worse. If I was going to try a home repair I would use some kind of patch/fillerproduct - finding a shop is probably your best option.

14 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

Based on the pic I think trying a needle will make it worse. If I was going to try a home repair I would use some kind of patch/fillerproduct - finding a shop is probably your best option.

yeah, that's what I wondered.  I've not worked with vinyl like that, but I wondered if it would pull closed, or just rip through.  thought I'd hit it with a heat gun to improve stretch...but yeah, might just make a bigger mess.