Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 A22 | Surfgate issue when boat is turned off

I tried to search for a thread with this but couldn't pinpoint a similar issue.   In short, when underpower or idling, our gates remain stowed.   It appears that they operate as they should with the surfgate function as well.  What is strange is when we turn off the boat, after a 5 to 10 second delay, the star board side surfgate will deploy ~ 4" or so.   If we switch off the boat battery before it has a chance to deploy, it will stay stowed.

I have run through calibration and as far as I can tell there are no obstructions that would cause this to happen.   While things are certainly manageable, I am concerned that this may be a leading indicator of a bigger issue or become a more significant issue down the road.   Any suggestions for things to check? 

• 1 month later...

I just posted similar on my 18 VLX. Did you get this figured out. Our just did it after 6 pack relay replaced my dealer today. Power off and my port surf gate now moves. If we switch batteries off then on it closes. Serious injury potential there if we hadn’t noticed it moving when no power. 

If the surf gate contacts the swim platform and can't completely retract, or if there is a problem with the reed switch sensor in the actuator (or with the wiring going to the sensor), then the actuator may extend when it is not supposed to.

Not contacting the platform and started after went in for the new PW actuator and 6 pack relay. Came out with this issue which is baffling to me. Could the new relay pack be defective. What could have happened while in service to cause this is my question or is this something easy to fix. 

Our relay pack was replaced last fall due to issues with our wedge.  We probably only got 10 or 12 hours on it last fall after the replacement and only got out a couple of times this spring before we noticed it.  

I helped a friend rebuild his relay pack after it was out of warranty using a write-up we found on here. Added diodes to control the peaks in voltage and it has been working great for him.  I'll see if I can find the write-up

On 7/6/2023 at 8:57 AM, JeffK said:

The 2016 A20 surfgate 4-pack relay rebuild continues working great!

It is my understanding the 6-pack relay set could be rebuilt/replaced similarly. 

14 hours ago, atLakeSantee said:

The 2016 A20 surfgate 4-pack relay rebuild continues working great!

It is my understanding the 6-pack relay set could be rebuilt/replaced similarly. 

My friend is so grateful for this thread!  His is still working flawlessly.  Thank you for an amazing write-up.  It was easy to follow and I enjoyed building this for him.

• Like 1