Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wearing a lid for watersports other than boarding

bobofthenorth

Whats the current state of thinking? I suffered my 3rd traumatic brain injury last weekend while downhill skiing at Banff. Made me reconsider snow skiing without a lid - I'll be lidded next time out. But what about skiing and footing? We make the kids wear brain buckets for wakeboarding but that is more related to getting whacked upside the head with a flying board. What's the consensus on cranial impact on the water? Hard enough to scramble your gourd or just a PITA?

Crazy.gif

There is some risk from other than just the board. I wear a helmet boarding and sometimes footing (especially backwards). Especially helps minimize the risk of a ruptured ear drum.

Why not wear one for any water sport?

Is it THAT inconvenient? I wear one for everything except surfing. I even wear one while tubing. (on the rare occasion)

A brain bucket is a good and easy idea for protection from damage to ear drums, board hits and those nasty back side falls either boarding or foot'n. Plus these days they don't look too bad. There really is not any good reason Not to wear one.

A brain bucket is a good and easy idea for protection from damage to ear drums, board hits and those nasty back side falls either boarding or foot'n. Plus these days they don't look too bad. There really is not any good reason Not to wear one.

I wear a ProTec for hydrofoiling. Eardrum protection is part of it - even simple falls happen from 7 feet off the water. The other issue is that you're sitting on a 5-foot long lever arm and if your feet come out, you're very likely to get bonked by the foil swinging around.

After 3 ruptured eardrums.... my entire famly wears ProTec's.... primarily for ear protection. Mostly skiing.... but some boarding.

(Side note: When the ears don't heal themselves.... it's either living with a permanent hole into your middle ear with the constant risk of infection, or tympanoplasty surgery.... which may or may not work.)

Signed "Got too smart too late."

post-114-1172409451_thumb.jpg

Edited by doughickey

I wear a ProTec for hydrofoiling. Eardrum protection is part of it - even simple falls happen from 7 feet off the water. The other issue is that you're sitting on a 5-foot long lever arm and if your feet come out, you're very likely to get bonked by the foil swinging around.

I Use Cinchmax footstays to keep from having your feet come out of the foil binding. If your foot pulls out, it will probably end up with a bad cut on the rear of your heal from hitting the seat tower base. Plus that bad blade is still comming up behind your head at the same time. We also wear Protec Helmets while foiling.