Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cylinder 8 misfire / OBD port??

Murphdigler84

Hey guys, kinda new to this whole thread deal. I have an 08’ Wakesetter with a monsoon 340. My boat threw a cylinder 8 code last week and lost all power. I have approx 345hrs. I’ve read to replace the cap and rotor is the most common culprit. So I’ve done that and started it back up on a fake lake and it seems to be running smooth now. But it’s still coming up as “service required”. I know sometimes it takes a certain amount of “cycles” to clear a code. Is there another way to clear it faster maybe an OBD port to hook it up to so the code is cleared out of the boat completely? Anyone else have issues with this code as well? Dunno how to post the pic of the code or I would 

Worn spark plugs is also a very common cause of misfires, but not the only possible cause.  Three heat cycles will clear an active fault code that is no longer occurring.  The Rinda TechMate or Diacom kit with the CAN adapter can be used to clear active or inactive fault codes. 

Murphdigler84

I’ve had it runnin (on the fake lake) in the driveway 3 times and let it run for 10-15 min. But between cycles I turned the perko off idk if that matters or not. Also where does that hookup in order to clear the codes?

A heat cycle is when the engine is started with the cooling system below regular operating temperature (below about 130 degrees F), then run up to regular operating temperature (above about 130 degrees F).  Do that 3 times.

Murphdigler84
1 hour ago, csleaver said:

A heat cycle is when the engine is started with the cooling system below regular operating temperature (below about 130 degrees F), then run up to regular operating temperature (above about 130 degrees F).  Do that 3 times.

Got it. So sounds like it’ll have to be on the water to do that. 

Murphdigler84
4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah, it is a pain in the rear and the reason I own the Diacom software - so I can reset those codes immediately after trying a fix

Don’t happen to be close to Rockwall Tx do ya lol 

10 hours ago, csleaver said:

You could consider paying a shop or dealer to do it.

Yup.  All depends on what your time is worth to you and how often you need it over the years.  At $80+ an hour doesn't take long to pay for it, even without figuring in the time to go to dealer - and getting an appointment during their busy season.

Edited by oldjeep
Murphdigler84

True. But at this point with it running fine with misfire fixed it’s just the annoying “service required” coming up every few min on the display screen