Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warranty Transfer

mlange

Looks like I've got my boat sold and I'm officially staring the serious search for an RLXi.

If I go the promo route the warranty will transfer for free and the length (for the engine) will be the full 3 years just as though it were a new boat, correct?

If I go the used route, do you guys think it makes sense to pay the transfer fee for the engine? hull?

My thinking on the hull is if the HDS hasn't acted up within a year it won't at all and the $400 (or whatever it is) isn't worth it. I'm a bit torn on the engine. The Monsoons are so darn solid I would also tend to think that the $$$ would be better spent elsewhere, but $450 for two years of coverage would be a nice insurance policy.

Thanks,

Mike

I don't believe a promo warranty transfers for free...the promo driver has to purchase the boat from the get go. Useless Male can confirm this as he purchased aneal000's 04 LSV.

If you buy a dealer demo, they normally have not been titled, hence warranty begins when you register it with Malibu as the owner. I've seen all kinds of boats that have hours on it be claimed as demo boats - show ski club boats, ski school boats, and boats used by dealers and their employees.

If it were me, I'd probably buck up and spend the $$ to get the warranty transferred...

Depending on how the dealer and the promo person have there situation worked out you may not have to pay to transfer the warranty but, in any case I don't think you'll get an extention of the time - just the balance.

I transferred the engine but I thought the transfer of the hull was not valuable to me-I picked mine up with 10 hrs. The hull warranty didn't seem to cover very much. For instance if I broke a stringer that would be covered by the warranty and would certainly be more $ than the $400 but I also think that my insurance would cover it. the engine was definitely worth it- one fuel pump and it pays for itself.

Good luck with your search- I think the RLXi is the best boat out there and I Love mine!

the engine was definitely worth it- one fuel pump and it pays for itself.

Well pretty close anyway, SKidim has them for $269. I was just over there looking at them as mine is making a racket and my dealer won't warranty it until it quits. :)

I would definitely get the engine warranty however, the monsoon is solid but it is still a mechanical thing with lots of parts.

The hull warranty is iffy, if its a new boat it probably doesn't have enough hours on it to identify if there really are any issues. I would think a boat with 100 hours on it however would be a safe bet. Better check your insurance policy in regards to hull defects before you make this decision.

I went with the hull warranty and skiped the engine. I would only have had 1 year on the monsoon left and the hull is for life. It paid off. The engine has performed every start and would be off of waranty now. I hope the hull is the same way, if not it is covered.

By the way, I have an uncle that is a rep for a bass boat company. They also have a lifetime waranty for their boats and it transfers for less than $50. :unsure: Why is Bu so expensive?

Hey:

The warrenty did not transfer for free when I bought Tony's boat. I paid to have transfered. IIRC 400 to Malibu and 200 to Indmar plus the cost of the transfer inspection at Tommy's.

I figure it's worth it. I hope I don't ever have use either!