Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV

Good afternoon Malibu Family....  I'm looking to replace my steering cable this weekend and looking for the correct replacement part to order.

This looks to be the correct one, but just wanted to get confirmation from someone that has ordered recently from Bakes Online.

Bakes Online: https://www.bakesonline.com/teleflex-tfxtreme-rack-and-pinion-steering-cable.html

Additionally I assume its the 20 Foot cablehttps://www.bakesonline.com/media/resourcelibrary/MalibuBoatsfitchart.pdf

One last item, I have seen many videos to replace the steering cable, however does anyone have a favorite they like to that references the job best?

Thank you in advance for the help, support and feedback.

Malibu dealers can use your boat HIN (hull identification number) to search the BOM (bill of materials) for your boat to see what steering cable was originally used during assembly.  There is also a stamped part number, length, and build date on the cable housing within 36" of the cable end nut.

Dometic (the company that bought Teleflex/SeaStar Systems and currently makes the replacement steering cables) had a recall on many of their rack steering cables last year and this year, too.  You may want to check the date code on any replacement cable you buy to make sure it is not part of the recall.  Any SSC134xx and SSCX154xx model cables with date of manufacture codes 22188x-23060x are part of the current USCG 23MF0131 recall and may need a field repair kit installed.  Cables dated 22126x-22231x are subject to the recall from last year.

We just got a 21' replacement steering cable last week for a 2008 Malibu 23 LSV that was subject to the recent recall.

Thank you again for the input and help with my steering cable question.  One more follow up question....

I spoke to the dealer and they referenced my Hull ID and said my current cable is the 21 foot cable.  Part # 3620213 that is now superseded by Part # 3620217.

I actually ordered the 20 foot cable from Bakes Online due to their Reference Chart.  I just called to see if I could change the cable shipped over to the 21 foot cable, however they are out of stock on the 21 foot cable due to the recall. 

They do have the 22 foot cable and could ship it rather than the out of stock 21 foot cable and I was curious on your thoughts?

Thank you again for your help and support with this question?  

Edited by Jay23LSV
Additional information