Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

what battery do you use in your bu

joey_durgin

2 stock batteries. not sure wht they are i just got the boat and have not had the cover off of them to see. they were $70 each

Edited by Mike d Wakeboarder

Optima blue top.

I would be interested in what other people think of these vs. a more generic (Exide or other) as I want to add another with an isolator setup.

Edited by dlb
Optima blue top.

I would be interested in what other people think of these vs. a more generic (Exide or other) as I want to add another with an isolator setup.

Interstate's AGM battery is an optima...they own Optima.

I have a Seavolt Group 27 AGM battery...it is HUGE!!!!

Would highly recommend it as a good compromise between a single and dual battery setup.

I have a Blue top Optima for the boat and two smaller deep cycle dry cells for the stereo. I can't remeber the name but you can get them at stereo shops , I think Stinger carries them also.

I forgot to mention that I've had them for almost 4 years.

post-149-1172253375_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigD

I had a two Optima blue setup with a standard perko switch, but then my dealer owed me a free isolator. They told me it was better to get one yellow top and one blue top. I've been running their setup for a few trips now without any issues.

Has anyone else heard of this or see the benefit?

They told me it was better to get one yellow top and one blue top. I've been running their setup for a few trips now without any issues.

Has anyone else heard of this or see the benefit?

The deep cycle yellow top is the same as the deep cycle blue top with the exception of the color and the extra terminals.

But in your case the blue top may be the starting version which is the same as the red top.

The deep cycles have a light gray case, the starting versions have a dark gray case.

I always ran dual batteries: a marine cranking battery and a deep cycle marine with switch/isolator. Deep cycle always seemed to keep the tunes and stuff running when parked and floating for hours, and the cranking battery always cranked the boat. Had this setup since 98 and now have it in my new Malibu. As far as brand, after all those years, I guess I just bought what was convenient. My last batteries came from Sam's and lasted over five years and work perfectly. Those were left in the boat all winter on a boat lift with an occasional charge. Nothing special.

Lakenut - which Exide are you using? I checked their website and there are 5 or six that are "maint. free".

Here's what was listed:

Orbital Marine Starting

· Completely sealed design

· Retains voltage off-season

Orbital Deep Cycle

· No spills, no gassing, no maintenance

· For continuous charging and re-charging

Stowaway Dual Purpose

· Provides starting and deep cycle power

· Rugged, vibration-resistant case

Stowaway Marine Deep Cycle

· Extra thick plates for deep cycle applications

· Twin stainless steel terminals

Stowaway Marine Starting

· Constructed for maintenance free operation

· Built to perform in the marine environment

Nautilus Marine Gold Deep Cycle

· Maintenance free design

· Unique alloy reduces gassing and water loss

Nautilus Dual Purpose

· Maintenance free design

Nautilus Marine Starting

Maintenance free design

Looks like the Exide Orbital Deep Cycle is almost equal to the Optima D34m battery. 50 AH versus 55 AH for the Optima. It's about $50 less than the Optima too.