Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

storing a trailer

flapjack

I've got my boat in a lift.

I'm not willing to pay for a garage/covered storage.  I'm also not looking forward to blowouts the 1-2 times a year I decide to trailer a boat somewhere.

What are some ways you all protect the tires, bunks, etc. for trailers in storage?

1 hour ago, flapjack said:

I've got my boat in a lift.

I'm not willing to pay for a garage/covered storage.  I'm also not looking forward to blowouts the 1-2 times a year I decide to trailer a boat somewhere.

What are some ways you all protect the tires, bunks, etc. for trailers in storage?

I store mine outside. Sunlight is your enemy.   I have my tires over inflated by a couple psi (of tire max rating) and covered with “RV” tire covers. I also have 2x6 boards under the tires to keep them from sinking in the ground.  I pull the trailer out a couple times a year, clean it up, and put it all away again.

If you are in a hot/sunny climate, maybe remove tires, bag & store indoors and cover the trailer with a suitable tarp. I agree with above, sun is the enemy.

Tough call.  My bunks took the brunt of the damage to be honest when I did outdoor storage.  I put the tire covers on.  Cheap vinyl things from Overtons. They worked okay.  The owners of the field I stored it would move the trailers around to mow so that probably helped mitigate dry rot from the inside. Later,  I took an old boat cover and my wife sliced it up and stitched some bunk covers up.  The sunbrella kept the carpet in decent shape.  The tires were still okay a decade later when I sold it.

Depends on where you live.  In MN, I used to keep my car trailer in the driveway and the sun was never a big enough issue to worry about the tires or deck.  If you live on the surface of the sun or have no shade then maybe pull the tires and toss them in a stack in the garage - make sure bottom one is not on concrete

I rigged the winch strap as a ridge and throw a cover over the trailer. My cover is .060" roofing rubber. I also cover the tires on the (morning) sunny side of the trailer.

• Like 1