Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mooring covers

ShuswapChris

ShuswapChris

I’ve recently become the proud owner of an 06 Sunsetter Lxi with a Titan lll tower. The problem I’m having is the factory Malibu cover fits like crap. The boat will be moored in a slip for a couple months during the summer and I like to cover it in the evenings and when I’m not at the property. The factory cover doesn’t tighten around the rubrail very well and is quite loose without tying the straps down rendering it almost useless in the rain or wind. That’s great on the trailer but in the water there’s nothing to tie to. 
Is there a good cover available that fits well and can be put on from inside the boat or am I destined to be having a snap on cover made?

Thanks. 

Congrats on the new boat! 

I'm surprised that the "factory" cover doesn't fit well.  My '06 came with a Great Lakes cover that extends around the swim platform.  When cinched tight on either side, with or without the support poles snapped in place, it fits pretty snug.  The poles only serve to prevent low spots where rain water might pool. 

I also have a Rankin cover (very similar to Evolution; I believe that Cory at Evolution worked for Rankin at one time).  It's a "towing" cover, designed to stay on the boat while trailered at highway speeds, so it fits like a glove.  I could bounce quarters off of it when cinched tight!  Great cover, but, by design, it doesn't provide any protection for the transom or swim platform.  So, I actually prefer to put both covers on during the off-season, the Great Lakes over the Rankin.  Keeps the Rankin looking like new, and I only have to wash dust, spider webs, and bird poop off of the top cover.

My boat has been kept at a covered slip (on a lift) at a marina pretty much every day since the day I bought it in 2006.  I've never had a problem with either cover staying in place, even through [rare] gale force winds.