Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Response Lx and Response Lxi

macca

Hi all,

Do I need the Monsoon engine in the Response Lx or the Response Lxi. The reason I ask is that a Response Lxi in Australia is quite expensive (IMHO)(51,500 USD). I am trying to save a few dollars and one option is to get it with the 320 Lcr rather than upgrading to the Monsoon....

What are your thoughts:

Do I need a Monsoon in a Response Lx

Do I need a Monsoon in a Response Lxi

Many thanks

Jason

Hi Jason

I had a 2000 closed bow response with the 325hp monsoon and it had plenty of power. It would pull 2 barefooters easy.

I have just ordered a 07 lxi with the 320hp lcr as it is pretty much the same engine as my old monsoon. I cannot justify $2500 extra for the current monsoon. My dealer believes you cannot tell the differance between the 2 on the water.

Both engines had/will have closed water cooling. Far better off spending the same money and getting that.

Isn't the Monsoon a 340HP? Hard to justify paying 2500 dollars for 20 more horsepower. Unless barefooting is your primary watersport, I'd go with the 320...you won't be disappointed. ;)

You think that is outrageous? I was just looking at a Sanger boats price list for engine upgrades. To upgrade from their standard 330hp Black Scorpion to the 8.1 375HP Engine is 7500 dollars!! Shocking.gif

Edited by areamike

You will definitely see a difference between the LCR and the Monsoon. Now, whether the difference is worth $2500 is more a matter of how you will use the boat and personal opinion.

Keep in mind the 2007 RLXi runs a lot more hull in the water, therefore has more drag than a Response or Response LX. More power in this situation is a good thing.

Peter

Peter brings up a good point though the Australian price point doesn't look very friendly Shocking.gif .

I have only heard great things about this boat ('cept noted windsheild issue being addressed). I'm sure Malibu wouldn't put an engine in that wouldn't do the job, however would you be happy with yourself if you got the smaller engine only to discover you weren't 100% happy with it? Also - more horses do better with resale if that is in your future at all.

Edited by Bill W

I thought just like you, but to be honest, it is the only option I regret not getting on y Response... like others said, it depend what you do with it...

My suggestion is that if you mainly barefoot, get the Monsoon and cut back on options that can easly be added later when you have money such as bimini, judge seats, heater, stereo, etc... If you don't barefoot a lot, the LCR will be fine. I get 43,6MPH with a skier in tow and the SSP bent at 5/64 inch, 46PMH without the SSP. If you are a heavy footer, you may need a MPH or 2 for one foot tricks and crossings if you have the SSP.

Edited by 1FootDan

I hope ther isn't much difference as I buy my new '07 RLXi tomorrow with the LCR 320. I have 2 thoughts on this. One, I don't have to deal with any outstanding problems with the catalytic convertors and 2, it is still 55HP MORE than my 94 Echelon. Props to Zach at THE EDGE for hooking me up with a great boat for a great price. Yahoo.gif

I hope ther isn't much difference as I buy my new '07 RLXi tomorrow with the LCR 320. I have 2 thoughts on this. One, I don't have to deal with any outstanding problems with the catalytic convertors and 2, it is still 55HP MORE than my 94 Echelon. Props to Zach at THE EDGE for hooking me up with a great boat for a great price. Yahoo.gif

The Hull Technology has to be somewhat improved as well since 94... But I have to say driving my brothers Echelon with the same tower and different prop I do not notice much of a difference between his (320 Monsoon) and mine (265 Merc) But his seat is more comfortable.

I don't think you will be disappointed. I have 07RLXI on order looked at one at the EDGE. thought I was treated very well. I have a frend with the 340 monsoon we don't use full throttle to launch. I have footed behind sunsetter LXI with 310 hp heaver boat no problum. I ordered 320 LCR don't need to go through catalytic issues. did you get the black/red one? Congratulations.....

I went through the same process as a freind has ordered a new Response LX. The basic short block is identical between the two engines, same camshaft being the key item here. The difference will only be at the top end as the fuel calibration and intake manifolds are different.

I'll be curious to hear how the RLXi compares to your 94 Echelon. I have the latter, but I bumped the power level up to 385 and removed about 300# in the process. Runs great.

Is the SSP the adjustable rudder? (I assume not a stainless steel prop)

SSP=Scarpa Supression Plate

It's mainly for flattening out the wake table. Makes slalom a lot nice as well as great for barefooting and wake crossings. But it can take the top speed down a few miles per hour. This is true.

See link for info and videos

http://www.ronscarpa.com/rs/servlet/Trim

Edited by areamike

Boatman brings up a good point. I remember when we thought the 265hp mercruiser carby was plenty of power and still pulled 2 footers. yes boats are bigger and heavier now, but also as previously mentioned, more efficient. Either that or we are a lot heavier.

I don't think you will be disappointed. I have 07RLXI on order looked at one at the EDGE. thought I was treated very well. I have a frend with the 340 monsoon we don't use full throttle to launch. I have footed behind sunsetter LXI with 310 hp heaver boat no problum. I ordered 320 LCR don't need to go through catalytic issues. did you get the black/red one? Congratulations.....

Actually. I got the sister to the black and red one. It is Midnight Blue and Driftwood w/ Extreme tower. I added a walk thru seat and heater. Thumbup.gif

It's mainly for flattening out the wake table. Makes slalom a lot nice as well as great for barefooting and wake crossings. But it can take the top speed down a few miles per hour. This is true.

I wondered if it was that given the initials. Have you used the SSP? What are your experiences with it? Have you used it for slalom and if so, what line length?

I wondered if it was that given the initials. Have you used the SSP? What are your experiences with it? Have you used it for slalom and if so, what line length?

the SSP is a barefoot tool...my experience was that for what you gain in footing wake, you lose in slalom...this was behind a RLX.