Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing and installing a 5.7 Mercruiser engine

I just bought a 95’ Sunsetter DD project boat. The block is cracked from previous owner’s poor winterization so I’m trying to weigh out my options. Does anyone have a write-up on pulling the engine and reinstalling? It’s the 5.7 Mercruiser engine

I just pulled my engine out this past February and reinstalled a rebuilt engine in March.  Also due to a cracked block.  I just pulled the engine and left the trans in the boat, easy to do if you have an engine tilter for your engine hoist.  I found a Vortec Goodwrench engine with 20,000 miles on it, had the heads rebuilt to marine specs with Inconel valve seats and clearanced for a high lift cam.  It's not hard to pull, just a little hard to reach, I have an A-Frame hoist in my shop.  You can us a forklift, bobcat, heavy duty cherry picker, or whatever works for you.  Be sure to bag and label your bolts and nuts.  Bring it over and you can use my A-Frame.

17 hours ago, agetech30 said:

I just pulled my engine out this past February and reinstalled a rebuilt engine in March.  Also due to a cracked block.  I just pulled the engine and left the trans in the boat, easy to do if you have an engine tilter for your engine hoist.  I found a Vortec Goodwrench engine with 20,000 miles on it, had the heads rebuilt to marine specs with Inconel valve seats and clearanced for a high lift cam.  It's not hard to pull, just a little hard to reach, I have an A-Frame hoist in my shop.  You can us a forklift, bobcat, heavy duty cherry picker, or whatever works for you.  Be sure to bag and label your bolts and nuts.  Bring it over and you can use my A-Frame.

Thanks man! If I purchased a replacement marine block, what all would have to be swapped over?

Everything ! What a journey it will be. Starter/alternator/water pump/raw water pump/exhaust/intake/electronics/bellhousing/cooling lines, etc.

Carbureted or fuel injected will have their own details as well as attachment to it's computer and things like timing settings.

Steve B. 

On 4/9/2023 at 8:21 PM, Steve B. said:

Everything ! What a journey it will be. Starter/alternator/water pump/raw water pump/exhaust/intake/electronics/bellhousing/cooling lines, etc.

Carbureted or fuel injected will have their own details as well as attachment to it's computer and things like timing settings.

Steve B. 

Mine is fuel injected. What will need to be done for timing?

Timing of spark at the right place at the right time will need to be set. Your engine has a computer that will need to be put into a service mode to make the timing setting. You'll have to search further. The process involves putting #1 cylinder at it's top position then installing the distributor such that the firing pathway points to that plug at that time. Then, fine adjustment in timing can be made using "service mode". Fuel pressure will need verified, oil pressure to the computer needs verified, temp sensors to computer need verified. Depending on the level of finish of the block you get will also change various details you'll have to accomplish.

Keep us posted.

• Like 2
Bluefishcay
11 hours ago, Joshh8120 said:

Mine is fuel injected. What will need to be done for timing?

As stated above, line up #1 at tdc and the distributor should point at #1.  Also if reusing your intake, mark the distributor to the intake.   Will keep timing close.   On my recent swap we first put the distributor in 180 out.  Won’t run when you do that. Then was one tooth off, runs poorly.  Once it was on the right tooth and power stroke, it didn’t need any adjustment and was right at the correct 10deg.  
the service mode just prevents the computer from changing timing which it normally does a lot to smooth out running.  If not in service mode, you will notice timing at idle is not steady.  In service mode it will be steady making it easy to check with a timing light.  

12 hours ago, Joshh8120 said:

Do you have any pictures of the engine on the hoist? Did you have to make a DIY extension or anything fancy for it to reach?

Yes, I removed the wheel from the trailer but even with that it was too short to reach, so I had an extension made, you can see it here in the pics.  This is just a cheapie HF picker that I borrowed from someone.  Also with the transmission still mounted it was too heavy, so I used a bunch of fork lift forks for counter weight.  In all, it was a very easy job to do.  The hardest part was sourcing the marine grade cardboard, you can't just get that stuff anywhere.

1972533226_Enginepull1.thumb.JPG.dbcd0e37a3925c3fbce00342e3a81733.JPG770735114_Enginepull2.thumb.JPG.e6ada735b9acde925c88db258d666647.JPG407362062_Enginepull3.thumb.JPG.4370e595853df57f5b2bcecaa028502d.JPG1979373195_Enginepull4.thumb.JPG.9762660a0cd4e9e1ea7804eef3a96066.JPG1469747041_Enginepull5.thumb.JPG.177b8c83b64b2a3767f8c9d9d7c88ff4.JPG

For base timing:

1. Crank engine
  2. Jump "A" to "B" with a wire on the engine MEFI port connector; idle will shift to 1000 RPM
  3. Use a timing light and observe crankshaft; set timing to 10* BTDC by slowly rotating distributor
  4. Remove jumper
  5. Turn engine off

@Joshh8120 - to your question of 'if I just purchased a marine block' - the way you stated that implies just the block, to build up a 'short block' you would need to be a competent wrench as you have to install all the guts, pistons, rods, crank, camshaft and understand how to build an engine.  Is that what you are asking?   What capability do you have as there are a few routes to take - 1. buy a 'block' and build the engine basically from scratch,  2. buy a 'short block' and swap over the components,  3. buy a 'long block' and install the marine components,  4.  buy a replacement engine & basically plug it in.  Costs increase as as read across the list.

Your typical Harbor Freight (very common) style engine hoist does need just a bit more reach which can be done via moving the chain out to the very end, and the trailer tire needs to come off and lowered down closer to ground to get the engine/trains up over the gunnel.  FYI - It weights 1,000 lbs. w/ trans being 140 lbs of that total.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:57 AM, Woodski said:

@Joshh8120 - to your question of 'if I just purchased a marine block' - the way you stated that implies just the block, to build up a 'short block' you would need to be a competent wrench as you have to install all the guts, pistons, rods, crank, camshaft and understand how to build an engine.  Is that what you are asking?   What capability do you have as there are a few routes to take - 1. buy a 'block' and build the engine basically from scratch,  2. buy a 'short block' and swap over the components,  3. buy a 'long block' and install the marine components,  4.  buy a replacement engine & basically plug it in.  Costs increase as as read across the list.

Your typical Harbor Freight (very common) style engine hoist does need just a bit more reach which can be done via moving the chain out to the very end, and the trailer tire needs to come off and lowered down closer to ground to get the engine/trains up over the gunnel.  FYI - It weights 1,000 lbs. w/ trans being 140 lbs of that total.

Thanks for this info! Mine is a long block, so I would just have to swap all of the marine parts over, which I think I can handle. Definitely not knowledgeable enough to build a short block, lol.
So you’re saying the engine can be removed with a harbor freight hoist or will I have to modify and extension somehow?

On 4/11/2023 at 9:09 AM, Michigan boarder said:

Yes, I removed the wheel from the trailer but even with that it was too short to reach, so I had an extension made, you can see it here in the pics.  This is just a cheapie HF picker that I borrowed from someone.  Also with the transmission still mounted it was too heavy, so I used a bunch of fork lift forks for counter weight.  In all, it was a very easy job to do.  The hardest part was sourcing the marine grade cardboard, you can't just get that stuff anywhere.

1972533226_Enginepull1.thumb.JPG.dbcd0e37a3925c3fbce00342e3a81733.JPG770735114_Enginepull2.thumb.JPG.e6ada735b9acde925c88db258d666647.JPG407362062_Enginepull3.thumb.JPG.4370e595853df57f5b2bcecaa028502d.JPG1979373195_Enginepull4.thumb.JPG.9762660a0cd4e9e1ea7804eef3a96066.JPG1469747041_Enginepull5.thumb.JPG.177b8c83b64b2a3767f8c9d9d7c88ff4.JPG

How did you go about making an extension?

On 4/11/2023 at 9:09 AM, Michigan boarder said:

10 hours ago, Joshh8120 said:

I measured the opening that I needed, the length that I needed, and went to a local welding shop and explained my dilemma.  They grabbed some stock that they had on hand and I bought it, then drilled my holes and put it in place.  I probably could have ordered the same stock on line, but I thought I'd try the local shop first.  

I found out it was too short by putting the lift in place first and realizing that it was not on center, then took a measurement to see how much further I needed to get.  In the end, the whole thing was pretty sketchy, but I was able to get it done by myself.  Removing the exhaust manifolds took off a lot of weight.  I probably could have separated the transmission too, but I thought it was best to remove it as a whole unit, and install it similarly after the rebuild was complete.

martinarcher

I welded a I beam into my car lift and installed an electric hoist.  It made pulling the engine and transmission really nice and easy.  Not sure if you've got a car lift or access to a gantry crane but its a nice way to go.  In my last garage I used a come-along from a big 6x6 that spanned a half dozen trusses.  

Here's the crane build....