Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

stuffing box drive shaft miss match, what to do.

1993 malibu echelon

I hit unmarked under water object, bent my prop/shaft/strut.  So time to replace. 

I had a leaking stuffing box, so while I'm replacing the drive shaft may as well replace the packing in the stuffing box and stuffing box hose.  bought the 1 3/4 id hose for a 1 1/8 inch drive shaft and measured shaft log too, which was for id 1 3/4.   go to put the stuffing box together with the shaft log and find out my 1 3/4 hose fits the shaft log but the stuffing box is too small. so I went back and measured the old hose and measured the stuffing box.  Turns out the stuffing box has an od of 1 5/8 and the old hose some how tapers to fit the shaft log to the stuffing box.  I noticed that the 1 inch drive shaft stuffing box takes a hose with id of 1 5/8.....so Im assuming my stuffing box is the one for the 1 inch drive shaft, not the 1 1/8 inch drive shaft that I took off my boat and bought a replacement.   How is this possible, I would think the 1 inch stuffing box would not work with a 1 1/8 drive shaft.  Do I need to buy a new stuffing box??  If not any ideas how to taper the hose to fit?

• 1 month later...

went ahead and bought the stuffing box for the 1 1/8 drive shaft.....the answer to my question: the boxes are id the same, only difference from the box for the 1 1/8 shaft and the 1 inch shaft is the OD of the male side of the box... 1 inch box has od of 1 5/8  and 1 1/8 box has thicker material to make od of 1 3/4......so if you make your hoses fit it doesnt mater which box you have they both are the same on the id and fit 1 inch and 1 1/8 drive shaft.