Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sierra Brand Coolant 2021 M6

Whats everyone using for coolant? My heater circulation pump was leaking and now I need more coolant. Manual says Sierra Brand, seems hard to find. 

Are there any differences in the seal formulations ect that would not hold up as well with Ethylene Glycol?  I have wondered if it was just a save the fishes thing or if there could be an issue with corrosion/seal failure using Ethylene in a system designed for Propylene.  If there was a coolant related issue could Malibu refuse to warranty over the wrong antifreeze formulation? 

Had the same issue which was apparently unresolvable (loose hose clamp) by the dealer. :Doh: Just went and bought the same color PG from the AutoZone. Not an issue since, cause or fluid. 

Ethylene Glycol is hard to find anymore due to EPA regs. I seem to recall reading that PG won’t harm operating systems that used  EG. You really don’t have a choice anymore. Like ATF fluid, I bet the only difference between two labels, is the label.

1 hour ago, wdr said:

Ethylene Glycol is hard to find anymore due to EPA regs. I seem to recall reading that PG won’t harm operating systems that used  EG. You really don’t have a choice anymore. Like ATF fluid, I bet the only difference between two labels, is the label.

Huh?  All the normal green stuff at the auto store is ethylene glycol.

I’ve been using Prestone LowTox works great. Just needs to be propylene glycol.

IMG_3144.webp

Edited by T-Roc
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Huh?  All the normal green stuff at the auto store is ethylene glycol.

I probably wasn’t paying enough attention to the labels. But I do recall thinking when I bought the refill stuff that all I saw was the eco friendly stuff.

I bought the Peak Sierra Concentrate at my local Napa easy enough. image.thumb.jpg.9ed047175eb2ace32e2edf508004c5ad.jpg

It’s polypropylene glycol. 

Edited by Slurpee
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, BuFootin said:

Found it here.  Reasonable price and shipping.  Bought 2 gallons as I was doing a heater install and expected to need some + have some extra just in case👍

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rra-18-9350?srsltid=AfAwrE7kLtT6BNH-j-tiymmgMCUsEDcT3Uriil6cTXCf0aF8vKuFbrzUt8A

This link takes me to their Marine Diesel product, the detailed description says it is ethylene glycol.  I almost bought this before when I was looking.

Oh boy!  :bash: I think I got a problem. That is the exact product that is pictured in the 2022 Malibu owner’s manual for coolant.  However the wording in the owner’s manual specifically states “propylene glycol”.  Which after carefully reading the specifications of the Sierra Marine Heavy Duty Extended Life Antifreeze you are correct it is Ethylene Glycol based.