Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switching options for dual batts.

Faceplant409

On "the other" forum many shot down the West Marine "battery combiner." Why?

What makes this different from the highly touted Hellor...(sp) system?

I surely hope someone else anwers with a far better explanation but I'll start with my understanding:

The Hellroaring Combiner/Isolator is automatic (don't know much about the West Marine but I know the comon Perko switch is not.)

The Hellroaring has MANY different configuration options available to accomplish many different goals so it tends to be a bit more flexible.

The Hellroaring bleeds off less power than many other options that are diode based.

Someone else please expand and/or correct my comments! I am about to buy the Hellroaring option so a better understanding would be good.....

Jeff/AirChair1

The Hellroaring Combiner/Isolator is automatic.

The Hellroaring has MANY different configuration options available to accomplish many different goals so it tends to be a bit more flexible.

The Hellroaring bleeds off less power than many other options that are diode based.

Someone else please expand and/or correct my comments!  I am about to buy the Hellroaring option so a better understanding would be good.....

Jeff/AirChair1

There was quite a bit of discussion about the Hillroaring's use. I tried to find it but alas, Cry.gif no success.

Hellroaring Technologies, inc.

Edited by Sunsetter95

The West Marine combiner is incredibly simple to install and also automatic.

It basically connects the positive terminals of 2 batts with +/- 10ga wire. When there is a charge coming to batt 1 it opens the path to batt 2 to charge them together. When there is no charge the batts are separate. It acts like an electronic checkvalve.

I just ordered a Stinger 200 amp relay for $44.00 to get the job done. Its automatic and much cheaper than the Hellroaring.

2 batteries from the guy who SWEARS that stereos in a boat is of the devil?!

Don't even tell me you're going to put up tower speakers. I'd be happy to find the post where you said 'only a fool would put those on his tower...'

Come on sneaker boy, love to see you eat some crow ;)

Don't even tell me you're going to put up tower speakers. I'd be happy to find the post where you said 'only a fool would put those on his tower...'

Wooooah! Back the truck up! Show me where I said that boat stereos are the work of the devil.... I may have said something similar about tower lights (because they are illegal to cruise with... plus you can't ride at night...) --Silly USCG regs... (seriously, I think you have me confused with someone else...) I got no prob with tower speakers IF USED WITH DISCRETION. They simply aren't my style.

I have the same basic system I had in the last boat. 2 Kicker amps, 4 Infinities, and a 10" sub at the drivers feet. I'm just isolating the stereo and any 12V add-ons form the starting battery to avoid a dead battery thread...

BTW: I farted in your boat that same day..... Tongue.gif

[J/K] P

Edited by Faceplant409
I have the same basic system I had in the last boat. 2 Kicker amps, 4 Infinities, and a 10" sub at the drivers feet. I'm just isolating the stereo and any 12V add-ons form the starting battery to avoid a dead battery thread...

BTW: I farted in your boat that same day.....  Tongue.gif

[J/K] P

ROFL.gif

He needs the extra battery so he can operate the 12v blender and make some strawberry daquiris Tease2.gif

BTW: I farted in your boat that same day.....  Tongue.gif

[J/K] P

ROFL.gif

He needs the extra battery so he can operate the 12v blender and make some strawberry daquiris Tease2.gif

Daquiris---gotta keep the women happy--- Actually it's for kid's smoothies. Biggrin.gif

Edited by Faceplant409

Can't give you the brand name, but I have had both the Perko manual A/B switch and the automatic.

The downside to the Perko is it is either in A or B mode meaning only one battery is charged at once. Obviously, you spend all your time switching back and forth to use and/or charge your two batterys. Not a very good solution.

The automatic was put into my boat by the manufacture, so I don't know the brand, but it worked perfectly. Both batterys were always being charged.

The starting battery ONLY was used to start the motor and the deep cycle battery was ONLY used for the boat accessorys (fridge, inverted 110v outlet, 12v outlet, microwave, lights, stereo, VHF radio, GPS etc.) We never got stuck with a dead battery to start the boat.

I would never put two batterys in a boat again that did not have an automatic charging system for both batterys with isolated start/accessory use.

Wooooah! Back the truck up! Show me where I said that boat stereos are the work of the devil.... I may have said something similar about tower lights (because they are illegal to cruise with... plus you can't ride at night...) --Silly USCG regs... (seriously, I think you have me confused with someone else...) I got no prob with tower speakers IF USED WITH DISCRETION. They simply aren't my style.

[J/K] P

OK, maybe I 'overstated' your dislike for tower speakers. But as you mention, you don't like them.

Here's the LINK

Your stereo sounds nice. All except the part where you leave out the tower speakers - DUUUUH!!!!

OH, and if you farted in my boat that only PROVES you really are a JERK! Oil on your shoes and flatulance. No wonder my boat's never been the same.

;)

[J/K] P

OK, maybe I 'overstated' your dislike for tower speakers. But as you mention, you don't like them.

Here's the LINK

Your stereo sounds nice. All except the part where you leave out the tower speakers - DUUUUH!!!!

OH, and if you farted in my boat that only PROVES you really are a JERK! Oil on your shoes and flatulance. No wonder my boat's never been the same.

;)

Hey pal, I can be annoying enough on my own.... I don't need tower speakers to "help me out". ROFL.gif

(oil, really?????) :( Noooooo!

Hey pal, I can be annoying enough on my own.... I don't need tower speakers to "help me out".  ROFL.gif

(oil, really?????)  :( Noooooo!

OK, so there wasn't any oil either.

I can't help but exagerate on this thread. :)

But I still think you're crazy not having tower speakers. But that's OK. When we're on the same lake I'll turn mine up just for you. Tongue.gif

Hey pal, I can be annoying enough on my own.... I don't need tower speakers to "help me out".  ROFL.gif

(oil, really?????)  :(   Noooooo!

OK, so there wasn't any oil either.

I can't help but exagerate on this thread. :)

But I still think you're crazy not having tower speakers. But that's OK. When we're on the same lake I'll turn mine up just for you. Tongue.gif

..got any Eminem..I like the stuff wiff lotsa kussin... I'm sho yo kids likes em too...

Tongue.gif