Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help: Finding a cover for 2001 VLX with Titan tower, will 2002-03 VLX with Titan Cover work? (or just go with an over-the-tower cover)

MellowYellow

MellowYellow

TL;DR: I'm having trouble finding a cover for my specific boat... any of the online retailers of "exact fit" boat covers never list my exact boat, however it seems they stock a cover made for a 2002-03 VLX with Titan tower, I would think it should fit my '01 fine, thoughts? TIA 

My stock Malibu grey sunbrella cover has seen better days, and as I just spent thou$ands on an entire new interior last season, I'd like to replace it. Typical google search for exact fit covers gives me a handful of good options, all of which have a large number of Malibu models/years/towers to pick from, however I cannot locate my model/year/tower combination. 

My 2001 Wakesetter VLX has the first generation titan tower, stock bimini. The options listed on overtons and other retailers: 

For 2001:

1. WAKESETTER 21 VLX COVERS EXT. PLATFORM I/B
  2. WAKESETTER 21 VLX w/ECI TOWER COVERS PLATFORM V-DRIVE
  3. WAKESETTER 21 VLX W/SWOOP TOWER COVERS SWIM PLATFORM

For 2002:

1. WAKESETTER 21 VLX W/TITAN TOWER CUTOUTS COVERS PLATFORM
  2. WAKESETTER 21 VLX W/TITAN TOWER CUTOUTS DOESN'T COVER PLATFORM

I assume the 1st option for 2001 is for a boat with no tower. I'm aware that the changes from '01 to '02 is mainly a few inch taller deck (area above rub rail), and some other small trim and interior differences, however with the hull being identical between the years I would think the covers would be similar enough and at worst the cover made for the '02 vs the '01 will be a big "baggy" around the rubrail. In most cases I'd just have a custom cover made but the quotes I've heard are between 2-3k, and these online covers are just under 1k for the same material (sunbrella). I also don't want to make a $900 mistake since these are made when ordered and are non-returnable.

The boat sits in a covered lift during all summer and then this cover used when between weekends while still in the hoist. The stock cover with cutouts for the tower fits ok but still allows a lot of spiders in, which I've heard the over-the-tower style helps with this, but I'm worried how annoying that would be to cover when the boat is inside the lift, or if I want to keep the bimini up. FWIW I think the cover with the cutouts looks better but the spider webs around the tower racks and speakers are also annoying.

Advice? TIA

spacer.png

Edit: This is a list of covers for 21 VLX from Westland covers (savyboater):

1. Wakesetter 21 VLX Inboard with Extended Platform (1999-2001)
  2. Wakesetter 21 VLX with ECI Tower & Platform V-Drive (1999-2001)
  3. Wakesetter 21 VLX with Swoop Tower & Platform (2002-2004)
  4. Wakesetter 21 VLX with Swoop Tower & Swim Platform (1991-2001)
  5. Wakesetter 21 VLX with Swoop Tower (no Platform) (2002-2004)
  6. Wakesetter 21 VLX with Titan Tower Cutouts (no Platform) (2002-2003)
  7. Wakesetter 21 VLX with Titan Tower Cutouts with Platform (2002-2003)
  8. Wakesetter 21 VLX with Titan Tower Folded Down & Platform (1995-2003)
  9. Wakesetter 21 VLX with Titan Tower Folded Down (no Platform) (1995-2003)
  10. Wakesetter 21 with Titan Tower with SWIM Platform | & V Ride (2004)

Still none of these seem correct...

Edited by MellowYellow

Cory is awesome, but I am also guessing he will be 6 plus months out on an order now.  

If you are normally under a lift and this isn’t for towing, I love my over the tower cover from Dallas Canvas.  Bimini stays out and boards can even stay in the racks.  They may be worth a call to see what they have for your year.  It will likely be over $1,000 for the over the tower style, but is a great setup for the spiders and ease of use when normally in a slip.  

I roll my cover from the front and back and put each “end” up into the cargo net I put over my slip when I go out, and then just flip it back into place when I am ready to cover.  

http://dallascanvas.net/covers/Malibu.php

image.thumb.jpeg.1068e5b717a758aefb226ce9e5339c57.jpeg

• Like 1
MellowYellow

Probably not willing or have the need for the evolution covers, even though they look sweet.

Starting to consider the over-the-tower style much more, would be nice not to have to clear the webs from the tower and speakers. I'd like to order one online, since the boat is in storage and would rather not have to take it to a shop and have them custom make it. The online ones seem like they're all semi-custom covers, any one have experience with these? Caver seems to be the main manufacturer.