Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Other High Hour Malibu's? I'm sitting at 1580 hours

smashj

Curious to hear from others with some big hours. The Indmar in my 2011 VLX has 1580 and runs like a top.
Took her for a cruise today, always a relief when she runs so well early season, especially after the bitter cold snap we had in central TX this year. 

Before we bought our 23 MXZ in 2020 we had 850 hours on our 2013 23 LSV with the Monsoon 350. Other than catalytic converters ours was 99% trouble free and we religiously maintained it. 

Our 2020 23 MXZ has 350 hours on it.  It's been trouble free also. 

i traded in a ‘14 a20 with 1127 hours after 7.5 yrs. the vast vast  majority of those hours were done by me and wife.  driver and rider only!

Used to work for my buddies surf school a bit. I ran a 2018 ri237 up to 2000 hours, no major issues, just alternator, thermostat, few sensors, pumps, actuators and belts. Probably close to 2500 now. 

18 minutes ago, windy1 said:

750 hours and 4 touch screens

I wonder if future adverts will have less focus on engine hours and more on if the screens, computers, wedge & surf actuators have been replaced............ :lol: 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, uk_exile said:

I wonder if future adverts will have less focus on engine hours and more on if the screens, computers, wedge & surf actuators have been replaced............ :lol: 

Considering the replacement of a screen can cost nearly as much as a used engine, they should.

Have 1000 hours on my 2018 lsv with the 575 raptor.  No major issues either.  Religious on the oil changes and maintenance.  I'm glad to see some others running up some hours on these boats successfully.  I always feel like I am the only one with a boat that has more than 300 hours on it.  Always wonder how far I can push it!

These have turned out to be amazing quality machines built for serious fun. Many hold incredibly long term value.

Mechanically mine has only needed a fuel pump. Interior only flaw is the center rear seat that gets stepped on, and even that fix is so minimal I just haven't done it. Only sections of carpet need replace but that is the next project and a trailer re-fresh. Amazing.

Steve B.

• Like 2

New to the forum, so sorry to sound like I’m making fun, I’m not. I’m surprised you guys think 1,000 hours is “high”. 2,000, now your getting up there. 4,000, legend status

• Like 2
On 3/22/2023 at 4:10 AM, aupatking said:

New to the forum, so sorry to sound like I’m making fun, I’m not. I’m surprised you guys think 1,000 hours is “high”. 2,000, now your getting up there. 4,000, legend status

The reality is we see very few 1,000 hour boats.  Most would say perhaps 50 hours a year is average.  That is a 20 year run to hit 1,000 hours.

43 of 4,800 boats on onlyinboards right now are listed with more than 1,000 hours.  

I think most of us all agree these will run several thousand hours, but real life examples seem few and far between.  

On 3/22/2023 at 4:10 AM, aupatking said:

13 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

The reality is we see very few 1,000 hour boats.  Most would say perhaps 50 hours a year is average.  That is a 20 year run to hit 1,000 hours.

43 of 4,800 boats on onlyinboards right now are listed with more than 1,000 hours.  

I think most of us all agree these will run several thousand hours, but real life examples seem few and far between.  

I don’t disagree that boats should last several thousand hours.  But @hethj7 hit the nail on the head.  Short seasons in most parts of the country, and most boats being used as weekend warrior status makes 500 hours seem high in most peoples mind.  I sold my last boat with over 600 hours on it, and I had virtually no interest until I took out the references to hours in the ad.  Even then I ended up trading it in as no one wanted a high hour boat.

I hate the adage that perception is reality, but it sure fits here.

• Like 3

Our club 2014 Nautique 200 just upgraded it's 4000+ hr 5.7 (still running great if you are interested in a nicely broken in motor) with a 6.0.  Use them year round & routine maintenance and they go forever!

• Like 3
On 3/23/2023 at 6:57 PM, hethj7 said:

For us slalom skiers on private lakes in the south, I can easily hang 300 hours on a boat in a year. I guess that’s a good problem to have. Look at the 3-event ski boat section on ski-it-again. Over a third of them have 600 hours or more. There’s a good looking 2015 Ski Nautique 200 with 2147 hours that I wouldn’t be afraid of.

• Like 2
Bluefishcay

In the north with a 5 month season with wearing a wetsuit, high hours tends to be 1000 ish.  At an hour a day, 5 days a week it’s only 100hrs per season.  Unless you live on a lake, most people won’t even come close to that number.  50 seems to be a more normal to high side hours.   See a lot of 10-15 year old boats with 200-300 hrs.  

Our 2007 Wakesetter VLX has 1100 hours on it and has been almost trouble free (we did have to replace the throttle body). We always maintain it well, and keep it garaged except for the weekends that we are using it. To me, a boat that is used regularly seems to be more reliable than one of the same year that sits idle.... But, maybe that's just my opinion... 

Edited by bboozer
  • Like 2