Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Aftermarket DSP to defeat factory settings.

555nova

I’ve been reading how the WS amps are locked and pre programmed to”safe” levels from the factory and just wondered if anyone has tried a good automotive DSP to fix the factory WS settings? With some of the automotive DSP’s like Helix, JL, Mosconni ect it  might be possible to get a flat signal out of the axis/Malibu black box and just everything pre amp to increase performance.

I have seen people in centurion boats use line drivers because of the stock black box low output voltage, could be same thing here. 

Dsp you fine tune what you put into it, then throw that to amps. Most people that use dsp set crossovers then leave amps wide open because dsp only sends what you tell it to. If the amps are limited to only play certain x-overs, dsp wouldn’t change that. 

IMO, if spending the $$$ and effort on dsp, just re amp for first stage, if still not content add dsp. 

12 hours ago, 555nova said:

I’ve been reading how the WS amps are locked and pre programmed to”safe” levels from the factory and just wondered if anyone has tried a good automotive DSP to fix the factory WS settings? With some of the automotive DSP’s like Helix, JL, Mosconni ect it  might be possible to get a flat signal out of the axis/Malibu black box and just everything pre amp to increase performance.

What @Brandonloos21 said… make the investment to get new amps. Malibu has been using these “oem” DSP amps since 2017 model year, and nobody has successfully been able to “jailbreak” one. It’s a shame; I always feel bad pulling out brand new, perfectly good hardware from my new boats. But the music gods demand it! 

016FC358-D267-4D34-A78E-3E2419C15F4F.jpeg

• Like 2

Double edged sword. You could RTA the oem-dsp amps and then defeat the EQ portion by reversing it to flatten or boost/buck whatever you're looking for in a sweep. But like brandon said, you can't defeat the crossovers unless you're going inside the existing parameters, which could be found through an initial rta sweep as well. 
I really should sit down and do this one day now that i'm thinking about it.

It does stand to reason that you could get more output from the super conservative gain settings of a DSP amp with an intermediate line driver to boost the input gain?  Curious to hear whether that works in real life. 

On 3/5/2023 at 10:25 AM, IXFE said:

What @Brandonloos21 said… make the investment to get new amps. Malibu has been using these “oem” DSP amps since 2017 model year, and nobody has successfully been able to “jailbreak” one. It’s a shame; I always feel bad pulling out brand new, perfectly good hardware from my new boats. But the music gods demand it! 

It probably wouldn't be to hard to brute force the password. It's just a matter of getting the needed software from Zeff. They don't even have their ubuy website going anymore. 

Last time someone leaked the software Wet Sounds cleaned house. 

They are VERY protective of it. 

Id be willing to bet if it was leaked by Zeff they risk being sued. 

Just buy the plug kits and new amps and move on.

Edited by COOP
  • Like 2