Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Response fuel pump replacement

So I realized my fuel pump is failing and started looking for replacements. My engine is the Monsoon 320 and has MPI. After quite a bit of digging, I feel more confused now than before. I've seen the issues with the old fuel pumps being unavailable and modifications required to make a different pump work. These seem easy enough but where I'm lost is the fuel pump itself. Everyone recommends fuel pumps like the Carter P5000 that are low pressure like they are for a TBI setup and my fuel pump says "high pressure" on it. Looking up the specs, I thought the Monsoon engines needed 40-50psi. Before I go ordering some random fuel pump and figuring out my own way to adapt it, does anyone have a lead on what pump I should buy? 

Several threads suggest that the Carter P5000 works just fine, but is not marine rated.  I just checked the Summit Racing site, and the P5000 is not available.  The current solution at Bakes Marine is a Pierburg pump kit for $465.00.  Sheesh.

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-556014-fuel-pump-conversion-kit-to-pierburg.html

The marine rated Carter P61171 pump is available from Summit Racing for $91, but does not come with a bracket or other giblets to make the conversion seamless.  That's how I would go, but I'm generally not afraid to fabricate brackets and electrical connections.  For all I know, your existing bracket may work (with the addition of a plug in the side).  YMMV.

Perhaps you can freshen up the subject by posting your solution here when you actually find something that works.

P90043 will come with the necessary fittings.  It's not marine rated.  I actually bought the 90043 and a 61171 to have the necessary bits to make it work.  The 90043 is in he garage as a spare.

Never mind, I found it.

@jfw432 This one is a few bucks more and comes with a lifetime warranty. You can get 10% off if you sign up for an account. Might send that amazon one back. 

https://www.highflowfuel.com/qfs-oem-replacement-marine-outboard-electric-fuel-pump-hfp-706/

Boz- did you run your pump yet? I remember you said it looks to be of good quality. 

2 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Never mind, I found it.

@jfw432 This one is a few bucks more and comes with a lifetime warranty. You can get 10% off if you sign up for an account. Might send that amazon one back. 

https://www.highflowfuel.com/qfs-oem-replacement-marine-outboard-electric-fuel-pump-hfp-706/

Boz- did you run your pump yet? I remember you said it looks to be of good quality. 

Funny because I actually tried to buy that one last night. When I went to complete the order, it cleared my credit card info and I took that as a sign to maybe do some more research. Probably should've pulled the trigger on that but figured it'd be easier to return something from Amazon if the pressure was incorrect. 

5 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Never mind, I found it.

I bought it as a spare pump. So I have not put it into service. It has all the feel and look of a high quality part. Certainly better than the OEM pump (my third) that is in service. The only thing scary is that it does not cost as much as previous fuel pumps or the work around kit. 

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Bozboat said:

I bought it as a spare pump. So I have not put it into service. It has all the feel and look of a high quality part. Certainly better than the OEM pump (my third) that is in service. The only thing scary is that it does not cost as much as previous fuel pumps or the work around kit. 

Is it the same diameter as the old pump (i.e., will it fit the bracket without modification)?

On 3/2/2023 at 7:50 AM, justgary said:

Is it the same diameter as the old pump (i.e., will it fit the bracket without modification)?

@BlindSquirrel 

@justgary

The quantum and the indmar look to be the same, the Quantum does not have the exact fittings that are on the Indmar, but it looks like you could transfer them over.

29B2FAD5-B83F-49DE-8C25-D0883C2665F1.jpeg

2121ED6A-6B3D-480C-B600-682AA1B091A0.jpeg

058FA954-6586-47F6-8AB6-6CC313F5BD39.jpeg

773EE68F-10C0-4326-B9D6-6B7DB52426F7.jpeg

929C5739-54E2-45E5-AD10-EB52EDF0A560.jpeg

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
On 3/2/2023 at 12:23 PM, Bozboat said:

@BlindSquirrel 

@justgary

The quantum and the indmar look to be the same, the Quantum does not have the exact fittings that are on the Indmar, but it looks like you could transfer them over.

29B2FAD5-B83F-49DE-8C25-D0883C2665F1.jpeg

2121ED6A-6B3D-480C-B600-682AA1B091A0.jpeg

058FA954-6586-47F6-8AB6-6CC313F5BD39.jpeg

773EE68F-10C0-4326-B9D6-6B7DB52426F7.jpeg

929C5739-54E2-45E5-AD10-EB52EDF0A560.jpeg

What came of this repair?  Did it work for you?  I've purchased the same Quantum pump and installed it.  Also replaced the filters.  I can hear the pump running but when trying to start it acts like its not getting any fuel.  In fact it ran - albeit rough - for the first 30 seconds after replacing it but won't run at all now - just cranks.

5 minutes ago, MEJinCLE said:

What came of this repair?  Did it work for you?  I've purchased the same Quantum pump and installed it.  Also replaced the filters.  I can hear the pump running but when trying to start it acts like its not getting any fuel.  In fact it ran - albeit rough - for the first 30 seconds after replacing it but won't run at all now - just cranks.

Replaced the connector and fuel pump with the quantum fuel pump and all is well. The pump is a straight bolt in but you omit one line. I really think it was just the connector the whole time but I bought a lifetime warranty pump so might as well put it in.

Yours must be different.  The Quantum I have looks just like the original with the return line on the bottom - like the pics Bozboat posted above.
Looking at the comments, I don't think he ever installed it. 

1 hour ago, MEJinCLE said:

Yours must be different.  The Quantum I have looks just like the original with the return line on the bottom - like the pics Bozboat posted above.
Looking at the comments, I don't think he ever installed it. 

I have it in my spare parts inventory. Surely it will work?

• 1 month later...