Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should I run away from 2013 used LSV with MTC?

bigperm2

I have been shopping for a new to me Malibu.  I am pretty set on 2008 up 23 LSV's.  I found one that I like, and it has the MTC 6.5" screen that I have read plenty about the delamination issues.  This one has signs of delam on the left side of the screen.  Those who have gone through this, how fast does the screen become unusable?  Any chance the delam will stop and remain useable for say 5+ years?  I don't expect a perfect 10yr old boat, but this is a big purchase and I don't want to plan a $3600 screen on top of the boat purchase.  Should this be a deal breaker?  Thanks in advance!  

20 minutes ago, bigperm2 said:

Those who have gone through this, how fast does the screen become unusable?  Any chance the delam will stop and remain useable for say 5+ years? 

Hard to say on both of these points.

Ive seen screens delam in 6 months and stop working altogether, Ive also seen screens that were 6yrs old that looked like the front glass was going to fall off and they still worked.

They are solid boats and now there are multiple fixes for the screen issue for much less money than a new one.  I would not let this screen stop you and maybe you can use as a reason to get the price lower.  See this thread:

Second what COOP said there is really no way in knowing how long it might last. Seen some where the touch still worked but were super dim and others with no touch look perfect. If the boat is clean and a good deal I wouldn't shy away because of a partly delaminating screen. Just part of the gamble when buying a 15 year old boat. 

My 2014 developed a couple of small bubbles  in the screen several years  ago. I bought a replacement screen but have not yet installed it. Knock on wood, my bubbles have not gotten any worse and the screen is still functional. 

ahopkins22LSV

Didn’t the 2008 model only have the center screen with the mux switch panels? I don’t know if those are any less or more prone to failing but they weren’t touch screen if I remember correctly. The mux switch panels were more prone to failing from what I can remember. 

Edit: I’m maybe confused. Is this about a 2008 or 2013? Or everything in between lol?

Thanks for all the replies.  I had not read about the MTCscreens.com solution.  Seems like a no brainer.  Yes, a little confusing post.  2008 up is the criteria.  I found a 2013 that is in question.

• Like 1

I know it’s a slippery slope, but the LSV underwent a hull redesign for 2014 and is a much better surfing platform. The main screen/dash was upgraded for 2015. 

I would look for a 2015. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 2:52 PM, COOP said:

Hard to say on both of these points.

Ive seen screens delam in 6 months and stop working altogether, Ive also seen screens that were 6yrs old that looked like the front glass was going to fall off and they still worked.

I bought my 2014 with a screen showing substantial delam. It had 1/2" of delam around entire screen.  It worked flawlessly for 3 seasons for me.  It survived a marina fire which destroyed most of the entire interior and required 2 weeks worth of shop time to repair 50% of the hull and repaint it (obviously the boat was totaled by insurance and sold to a local boat shop to complete the rebuild).  The screen is still running strong 2 years later and it is the original screen.  So yes they can be pretty tough!

That said, after the marina fire we upgraded to a 2015 which had a near perfect MTC.  1 season later it had developed a single tiny bubble in the lower right hand corner of the screen.  "no big deal" I thought - knowing how the last one faired I didn't think anything of it.  Within about 10 boat hours I was having all kinds of issues, the screen would ghost and turn off the stereo at first, no big deal, a few more hours later it was flashing around continuously, magically changing settings and eventually not relaying any information at all to the main dash screen.  It never left me high and dry - it would always start and run when I needed it to but as soon as the other screen started to act up along with it I was calling my service advisor and getting a $3500 replacement screen on short notice in peak season.  

In closing - If I were you I would inform the seller that you know about the MTC issues and that the boat should either come with a significant price reduction or a brand new MTC screen.  If they give you a price reduction I would start saving some cash and scour these TMC classifieds for used screens because it can save a lot of money and keep you on the water even if your unable to find a new one in stock anywhere.