Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Branded Oil

Anyone have a brand of oil they’re using for the M6 motor that they like over the $16 a quart Malibu oil? Obviously 5w-30. Dexos 1 GEN 2 full synthetic. 

5 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I've been going with Valvoline or Mobil1. Whatever I can get locally cheaper at the given time. Anything that is full synthetics, 5w-30 and meet the DEXOS ratings will work just fine though.

Thanks for this info. I see a bunch of oils with Gen 3 rating. Does the oil have to be specifically Gen 2? 

7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The google machine states that Gen3 is backwards compatible.

Trust me I googled it, but was confused because I saw something stating Gen3 was a touch inferior to Gen2. Thanks for clarifying. 

Just did some googling. Looks like Malibu oil is made by warren distribution. They also make Kirkland and Amazon basics oil. The same stuff? Who knows.  But anything that meets specs is fine. 

18 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Just did some googling. Looks like Malibu oil is made by warren distribution. They also make Kirkland and Amazon basics oil. The same stuff? Who knows.  But anything that meets specs is fine. 

I know they've really been pushing dealers to carry it. Our sales guys think they will make it a requirement for warranty.:Doh:

I know the price is high, they asked why I wasnt buying and I told them them this, they didnt believe me how much more it was from them, so I showed them a receipt.

Malibu is going to brand everything they can to try and turn more of a profit. Im sure trans fluid will be next. 

Marine branded oils are just a cash grab or a way for Malibu to try and promote dealer service. You don’t see high end car brands making their own oils. A name brand oil will be cheaper and likely better quality. My dealer uses all Mobil one and Castrol for engine oil, only indmar branded oil for trans and vdrive depending on the model. 

38 minutes ago, ndahlberg12 said:

I run Kirkland 5w30. It’s synthetic, dexos approved and is $3 a quart.

holy cow you're right, had no idea costco was selling oil -- from costco website "Approved for use in all GM gasoline engines requiring dexos1™ Gen 2 5W-30"

i can't comment on quality, but at those prices, you could change oil 2x as often and still be way cheaper.