Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Support Tower in Down Position

timmypop

I have an Illusion X tower and need to put it down for storage. I have tried putting a life vest, throw cushion, even the thick piece of foam that it ships from the factory with, but no matter what I place on the dash it still leaves an indentation on the dash.

Does anyone else have this problem or have anything to suggest getting the impression in my dash? I figure I could build a support, but then won't I get the same impression in my carpet saver? What does everyone else use? I have read other posts, but there is not much on the X.

I have an Illusion X tower and need to put it down for storage. I have tried putting a life vest, throw cushion, even the thick piece of foam that it ships from the factory with, but no matter what I place on the dash it still leaves an indentation on the dash.

Does anyone else have this problem or have anything to suggest getting the impression in my dash? I figure I could build a support, but then won't I get the same impression in my carpet saver? What does everyone else use? I have read other posts, but there is not much on the X.

My illusion doesn't rest on the dash. The counter-weighting of the tower actually holds if off of the dash. It must be those monster Wetsound speakers weighing down your Illusion, just take those off Biggrin.gif

Seriously though. I seem to remember my dealer selling some type of board that could be placed under the tower when it is dropped to keep this from happening. If you saw what it looked like, you could probably make one yourself. I'm guessing it's pretty pricey from the dealer, but you may want to check anyway.

You may also be able to adjust the spring/counter-weight so that less weight is actually on your dash, I'm not sure though.

Good luck

U might ask your dealer. Mine (I bought used, btw) came with an expandable aluminum pole similar to that used to hold a typical boat cover up in the back. Except the rubber round protector is a "U" shape rubber gromet do-dad that holds the cross bar of the Illusion tower at rest. Never had an indication to put my tower down yet...but I have that support pole that is pretty schnazzy.

My illusion doesn't rest on the dash. The counter-weighting of the tower actually holds if off of the dash. It must be those monster Wetsound speakers weighing down your Illusion, just take those off Biggrin.gif

Seriously though. I seem to remember my dealer selling some type of board that could be placed under the tower when it is dropped to keep this from happening. If you saw what it looked like, you could probably make one yourself. I'm guessing it's pretty pricey from the dealer, but you may want to check anyway.

You may also be able to adjust the spring/counter-weight so that less weight is actually on your dash, I'm not sure though.

Good luck

I use a pole that was made for the titan tower. It has a bungie that goes around the tower and then connects back to the pole. it works pretty well. it is all aluminum with an aluminum cradle. I think that metcraft makes it. ask your dealer

I built a support pole for my Blade, which is darn heavy. I made the bottom footprint about 12x12 inches to spread out the weight. It does not leave a make in the carpet.

I use a short piece of 3" pvc with a v cut into it. I put a piece of clothe under bar and a spare piece of carpet on floor since it's not moving anywhere.

I took a 2*4. Cut it just long enought that it would support the tower above the dash (higher if you like), Cut a 30degree angle on the end for the tower to rest on... then attached another board on the lower side of the slope I just cut. Then screw a small piece of plywood on the end to act as a foot. Basically made a small v to support the tower in. Works perfect and costs about $2 and 10 minutes to make... free if you got lumber laying around.

We use the throwable in that spot, it's thick enough.

Thank you. I tried that in reading your previous post and it still leaves a mark. It crushes the throw cushion. I wonder that with my PRO 80s that the weight and balance of my cables needs adjusting. Perhaps I can adjust it so that more weight is distributed to the pulley.

Thanks everyone. I am going to searching for how to adjust the tension and implement one of these designs.

We use the throwable in that spot, it's thick enough.

Thank you. I tried that in reading your previous post and it still leaves a mark. It crushes the throw cushion. I wonder that with my PRO 80s that the weight and balance of my cables needs adjusting. Perhaps I can adjust it so that more weight is distributed to the pulley.

Thanks everyone. I am going to searching for how to adjust the tension and implement one of these designs.

Yeah, I've just got a lil' ol' pair of Bullets up there, so they're probably nothing compared with your setup. :) Even at that, it's pretty heavy (but doesn't leave a mark). Get with your dealer on the adjustment - even if you just stop by, the service guys should be able to show you how to do it.

Go to your dealer, like wake said I have a pole that goes from floor to the hold the tower when in the down position, it is shaped in a U and works great. I wouldn't think it would cost you ANYTHING or maybe a few bucks, if you bought the boat from them demand it, they made enough on you.

Grant

Our blade came with a stand, it's a vertical pole with a lip that holds the tower and applies pressure to the floor keeping the tower off the dash. It has a rubberized pad to protect the tower. Might want to check with your dealer and see if they have something like that which may help.