Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Did you custom order or buy off the showroom?

DRAGON88

Custom ordering vs. showroom  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Did you order your boat or buy it straight off the showroom floor?

• Showroom floor
    • Ordered to spec

We didn’t custom order since the dealer had the SLXI with the color scheme I would have chosen anyway and most of the options we wanted and simply could add those at a later date. Add in the fact we we’re into May and didn’t want to wait and got a good deal since it was an inventory boat.

We custom ordered ours. I think we have the only boat made in '05 with the ember color (which makes it pretty original). I haven't seen any on the lakes here in Cali or online.

Has anybody seen any other bu's with ember?

Edited by woody

Custom ordered and was there to unwrap it, even helped put the tower and swimstep on. I wasn't going to spend that kind of money and not know how it was treated. I have seen boats on the water treated very poorly that dealers take out for the day. (wearing shoes, beaching the boat, running it full board with no hours)

I also had a specific color design, and options that I wanted.

Neither showroom or custom order, bought it from a Promo guy.

Showroom condition (most promo guys are incredibly anal and this guy regularly buffed out the bilge. Seriously), it was totally dialed in for the course, and ya can't beat the price!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

For sure the floor ! I have no patience to order and wait.

Besides, I got $32k off MSRP for getting off the floor and it was very close to what I would've ordered anyway, colors and all. Only thing missing was a better sound system. I don't want anything else.

We bought off the showroom floor and saved 25%. It had the colors and options I wanted. It was the previous model year though. The only thing I kinda regret is no ballast. It is a Sunscape. But for my ability level it still throws a large enough wake with the wedge and a few people.

I was told there was no cost savings to ordering off of the floor, so why not get the exact one you want.

I only disagree because of the economy. We ordered our first boat in 06, and then bought a leftover 08 VLX with trailer last Dec for mid 40's pretty much loaded. You could not order a 08 any longer, and there wasn't a 09 order around that would even come close to that price. Plus the colors were perfect for us (blue/black).

But that was back when dealers got caught with a lot of inventory and no buyers. Today's market is different since I assume inventories are right sized to the current demand. Dealers can chime in with their experience.

my 2000 I got off the showroom, and was never thrilled with the colors.

My new 2010 (which is coming in next Friday!) I ordered custom. So I have no one to blame but myself if it is butt ugly

I could have saved money by getting a showroom 2009 model, but they all had too much black. I didnt want a boat with any black or red this time

The first one I bought off the lot. The second one I ordered. I enjoyed going to the factory and watching the build stage on my boat. At the time no the dealers around here were not ordering the front ballast on their "showroom" boats so it made the decision easy for me. Plus all the dealers around here at the time kept their boats outside on lots so I wanted to avoid the "rot lot boat"

My family's first boat was used. The second was ordered to spec. This will be the third boat, which I am buying instead of my parents. I'm buying from a showroom because I think it will fit my needs and is at a great price. Maybe the next one will be to spec, but that won't be for another 10 years, or so.

Buying the 2nd boat to spec was a fun process, but this time the decision to buy a new boat came very quickly ... too quickly for us to order to spec.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my sportster off the showroom floor... saved a bunch!

Bought my VLX used with 75 hours on it. A family ordered it from my dealer and I saw it on the lot when I was at the dealership killing some time. Liked the color combo... The family's son blew his knee during the season and they traded it soon after on a pontoon. Guess who ended up with it?? Thumbup.gif Got a really good deal and have added a few things to it to make it my own.

First Bu off the floor. Actually dealer's stock at another store... Current boat ordered.

On the first boat I had NO IDEA there were so many options... The internet was still a baby in '99 and NO MBO or Malibu Crew to help me spend my money??? :unsure:

My first 2 Bu's were off the showroom floor, I am too impatient to wait. Maybe I'll order one when I am rich and have more money than I know what to do with. As for the Litl Bu I have right now, I found her thanks to the internet and if I ever get to do it again would probably by used again.

Back in the day-1986 (before the internet as we know it) I was researching a new skiboat. I knew what I didn't want (Nautique, Centurion, Ski Supreme was o.k.), but after test driving/skiing a Mastercraft, I nearly ordered one. I just couldn't get past the lack of color options. (three exterior colors, and three interior colors).

I contacted Malibu (still a young company at the time) to ask where my nearest dealer was in New England, of which there weren't any. At the time, they had 6 regional distributors, and they gave me the phone number of a guy near Pittsburgh, PA (600 miles away), who was going to be in my area in a couple of weeks and would meet me with a boat. So, he shows up with a new 1986 Malibu Skier (7 color gelcoat- white hull with the circus colors and a Mercruiser) for me to check out. Nice boat, but the colors were hideous! He offered to give me a great deal on it (so he didn't have to tow it back to Pittsburgh). The colors would have been fine for the "clown ski club", but not for us...

I did end up ordering an '87 in October of '86, but the hard part was just begining - designing the boat! At the time, you could get 20 exterior colors, 20 interior colors, and 4 carpet colors (I still have the original brochure with color chips and carpet swatches). The colors (up to 7) could be placed in any order on the boat. So, we got out the tracing paper and Crayolas (remember, before the internet as we know it) and designed our boat. The hull is Dragon Red, and Strato Black with the Cadet Gray, Charcoal and White stripes (I thought 5 colors was plenty), and coordinating interior. Of course, I got the Juicy-Juice red carpet, as the kidz were very young at the time.

The plain old Mercruiser wouldn't do, so I special ordered a Indmar 300SP (Chev 350- 4 bolt with a bit of bling).

The boat turned out awsome and is enjoying it's 23rd season!

Back in the day-1986 (before the internet as we know it) I was researching a new skiboat. I knew what I didn't want (Nautique, Centurion, Ski Supreme was o.k.), but after test driving/skiing a Mastercraft, I nearly ordered one. I just couldn't get past the lack of color options. (three exterior colors, and three interior colors).

I contacted Malibu (still a young company at the time) to ask where my nearest dealer was in New England, of which there weren't any. At the time, they had 6 regional distributors, and they gave me the phone number of a guy near Pittsburgh, PA (600 miles away), who was going to be in my area in a couple of weeks and would meet me with a boat. So, he shows up with a new 1986 Malibu Skier (7 color gelcoat- white hull with the circus colors and a Mercruiser) for me to check out. Nice boat, but the colors were hideous! He offered to give me a great deal on it (so he didn't have to tow it back to Pittsburgh). The colors would have been fine for the "clown ski club", but not for us...

I did end up ordering an '87 in October of '86, but the hard part was just begining - designing the boat! At the time, you could get 20 exterior colors, 20 interior colors, and 4 carpet colors (I still have the original brochure with color chips and carpet swatches). The colors (up to 7) could be placed in any order on the boat. So, we got out the tracing paper and Crayolas (remember, before the internet as we know it) and designed our boat. The hull is Dragon Red, and Strato Black with the Cadet Gray, Charcoal and White stripes (I thought 5 colors was plenty), and coordinating interior. Of course, I got the Juicy-Juice red carpet, as the kidz were very young at the time.

The plain old Mercruiser wouldn't do, so I special ordered a Indmar 300SP (Chev 350- 4 bolt with a bit of bling).

I'd like to see some pictures!

I'd like to see some pictures!

Me too!