Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Give me your upholstery tips and tricks

BillyChinookVLX

Hey crew,

I am getting ready to take on a complete replacement of my 03 VLX interior. I ordered skins through Gabe’s Custom Marine. They are shipped and arriving next week. I used to turn wrenches for a living so I have no worries about getting the boat back together, I have never done upholstery though. I would love to hear your experiences, tips and tricks for stretching and stapling vinyl.

thanks! And here is a picture of the boat right now, and the new skins prior to shipping because everybody likes pictures 

7F4C2ECC-9B60-4D06-9F7F-578DF8BD03ED.jpeg

FEA93E80-D06C-4275-B0BD-993C5449267B.png

• Like 1

Is it fair to ask if the Skins from Gabe’s were under or over $3000 ?  
Congratulations on your purchase and upholstery project…. 

18 minutes ago, 94MalibuEchelon said:

Is it fair to ask if the Skins from Gabe’s were under or over $3000 ?  
Congratulations on your purchase and upholstery project…. 

Full interior kit was $4500

• Like 1

A steamer works great to stretch the covers and helps with the foam. I also think having another set of hands is a must. I like to start in the middles and work to the corners.  
tips: add 2-3 inch strips rather than one staple for making your starts. Do not staple vinyl that is pulled and suspended over the edge, it will blow through it.  SS staples are a must. 

5 hours ago, stang233 said:

A steamer works great to stretch the covers and helps with the foam. I also think having another set of hands is a must. I like to start in the middles and work to the corners.  
tips: add 2-3 inch strips rather than one staple for making your starts. Do not staple vinyl that is pulled and suspended over the edge, it will blow through it.  SS staples are a must. 

Monel staples if you can find them. 

Definitely need a steamer for a couple reasons.  The first is to fully steam the foam to get it decompressed, the other is that it makes smoothing the new covers a lot easier.

Make sure your stapler is a long nose type - I started with a short nose and it was not working very well.  Definitely Monel Staples - Amazon seems to be the only place I can find them easily, local hardware and lumber yards never had them.

on care for upholstery tips - no product or anything other than effort keeping seats thoroughly dry and truly clean . i know this sounds truly stupid and repetitive but here is my angle.

Hiding is that double seamed piece that covers and protects the skin edge and stapling of skin.  it is anchor stapled in middle of  its double seam.  but tilting all cushions 100% of the time lets more air to cushion and elevates hiding to dry.  also with hiding if  there is dirt under cushions that  isnt kept to zero or minimum it wedges between skin and hiding on both sides of hiding.  without vacuum bristles and/or wiping both crevices with a  rag or fingernail scrsped😂 keeps that matter there.  combined with water it creates a mildew breeding ground that launches a military style takeover. so wipe crevices, run fan 24/7 , snd cover boat with fan after drying water excess.  you can put mew upholstery in and still have same issues 

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

on care for upholstery tips - no product or anything other than effort keeping seats thoroughly dry and truly clean . i know this sounds truly stupid and repetitive but here is my angle.

Hiding is that double seamed piece that covers and protects the skin edge and stapling of skin.  it is anchor stapled in middle of  its double seam.  but tilting all cushions 100% of the time lets more air to cushion and elevates hiding to dry.  also with hiding if  there is dirt under cushions that  isnt kept to zero or minimum it wedges between skin and hiding on both sides of hiding.  without vacuum bristles and/or wiping both crevices with a  rag or fingernail scrsped😂 keeps that matter there.  combined with water it creates a mildew breeding ground that launches a military style takeover. so wipe crevices, run fan 24/7 , snd cover boat with fan after drying water excess.  you can put mew upholstery in and still have same issues 

That was painful to read!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Making the bead line up from cushion to cushion is a pain. I did my 5 rear-most cushions last year. They look about the same. Nobody else notices that stuff though. Keep at it. Definitely still looks fresh.

Do any of you have a picture of the hinges on the observer seatback or the port side seat that is hinged? I forgot to take pictures of how the vinyl strips were laid out to hide them. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am curious as to how far you have gotten since Feb.  I am doing the same to my 03 with a set of skins from Gabe.  You seem to be a bit ahead of me.  I have finished the cushions and moving onto the sunpad.  The corners on the sunpad have me a bit stumped...not sure how I am going to make those tight without a ton of pleats.  

38 minutes ago, Bkreece said:

I am curious as to how far you have gotten since Feb.  I am doing the same to my 03 with a set of skins from Gabe.  You seem to be a bit ahead of me.  I have finished the cushions and moving onto the sunpad.  The corners on the sunpad have me a bit stumped...not sure how I am going to make those tight without a ton of pleats.  

Make sure to steam the foam first and then pull really hard.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:05 PM, oldjeep said:

Make sure to steam the foam first and then pull really hard.

Ha!  You are right about that!!!  I was able to get the corners to look alright, not perfect but probably only I will notice.  I totally screwed up the center hatch cover (over the engine) where there is a concave around the ski pole.  My relief cuts there were a bit aggressive so I pulled it super tight to hide them under the hidem trim.  We'll see how long it lasts.  I fully expect it to tear sometime this summer, probably have to replace that one next winter.  

All in all, I have not regretted tackling this project.  Gabe was very helpful, his videos online gave me most of what I needed.  The rest has been pretty simple to figure out through trial and error.  To anyone thinking about doing it, expect to invest some time.  Gabe's advice was "take your time and it will come out fine."  I second that.  A great DIY project!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally getting getting back to this thread, life got busy this spring. 

I did everything but the big rear backrest, the captain’s chair, and the top bow piece by myself. Hired a friend who did upholstery for a living to do the pieces with the complex inside corners, worth every penny as far as I’m concerned. Super happy with the final product though.

My biggest lessons learned:

-Steam, steam, steam. Steam your foam and your vinyl. The foam will gain about an inch of volume on most of your cushions, makes the skins fit much better. Streaming the vinyl will make it stretch and lie flat much easier.

-Patience is a virtue (that I am severely lacking) take your time getting the skins tacked in the right place, make sure your seams are laying flat and in the right spot. You will thank yourself down the road. When you make your tacks, run 3-5 staples to prevent pulling tearing or pulling through while you stretch the vinyl.

IMG_1931.jpeg

IMG_1925.jpeg

70370417645__88BC20C1-AB8C-48C1-96E0-4E43DB9757C0.jpeg

• Like 4