Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Riding in Chop in a 24MXZ

Smiff

no flat bottom boat rides well in chop  especially pickle forks are worse ,  learn to fill center tank and keep the nose up, i now own a vhull vdrive wakeboat snd it makes a huge diff in rough water,  get a cobalt surf if you want a true better rough water ride, bigger boats in general do better, 3+ foot bigger should be better though

Edited by granddaddy55
7 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

no flat bottom boat rides well in chop  especially pickle forks are worse ,  learn to fill center tank and keep the nose up, i now own a vhull vdrive wakeboat snd it makes a huge diff in rough water,  get a cobalt surf if you want a true better rough water ride, bigger boats in general do better, 3+ foot bigger should be better though

Absolutly Not true. What would make any difference with the wetted surface being the same?

Perhaps the reference to the difference with the pickle forks is more to the fact that the shape of the bow can cause more splash / water in rough water than a traditional bow?

Also, this doesn't consider weight, bigger boat, heavier weight, less bouncing.

That being said, I just upgraded from 23 LSV to M220.  One of the major selling points, it should ride better in the chop!

20 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Dude seriously, the pickle fork comment is 100% not true. If you are in any kind of windy day and the lake is really choppy you should run all your tanks empty.  I have been in 2-3 foot waves and my boat did fine. Plow through the water and just go slow. We were wet and cold, but made it back to the marina just fine. 

On 1/31/2023 at 8:44 AM, Ronnie said:

Absolutly Not true. What would make any difference with the wetted surface being the same?

ok so we all are miserable i guess, having my a20 it was horrible but small, glad to know they all ride like ****, i was hoping it was limited to mine, glad to know we are all miserable in chop, ohhhh i forgot i solved that with a v shaped hull

On 1/31/2023 at 9:28 PM, dwc032 said:

Dude seriously, the pickle fork comment is 100% not true. If you are in any kind of windy day and the lake is really choppy you should run all your tanks empty.  I have been in 2-3 foot waves and my boat did fine. Plow through the water and just go slow. We were wet and cold, but made it back to the marina just fine. 

i keep the bow up and go slow but some  center tank water did improve it , but again in my a20 i went real slow trying to avoid the big sprays , i dont want to get soaked driving my boat, just makes for a much longer trip home and after that wife doesn't want to go in the big lake anymore and wants me to stick to rivers and bayous, buy a v shaped hull and solve it if it happens with frequency

coming from a 20ft bowrider, my A24 is much better...but not great.  the extra beam, dry weight, and length make a big difference, but the flat-ish bottom definitely results in some slapping of the water when waves grow.

ballast wise, i haven't done this experiment but here's a brainstorm:  if putting along slow (say <10mph), maybe extra 4000 lbs of ballast gives you better inertia to smooth out ride.  BUT, if at 20mph on plane, when that roller comes around, now there is 4000 lbs of water sloshing around making each slap extra violent - that doesn't sound beneficial.

1 hour ago, CaptainMorgan said:

coming from a 20ft bowrider, my A24 is much better...but not great.  the extra beam, dry weight, and length make a big difference, but the flat-ish bottom definitely results in some slapping of the water when waves grow.

ballast wise, i haven't done this experiment but here's a brainstorm:  if putting along slow (say <10mph), maybe extra 4000 lbs of ballast gives you better inertia to smooth out ride.  BUT, if at 20mph on plane, when that roller comes around, now there is 4000 lbs of water sloshing around making each slap extra violent - that doesn't sound beneficial.

In rough water filling mid tank and some bow does help in two ways, mid tank helps add mass to the low mid point and that mass means less felt feedback from waves.  Adding some bow will also put more of the forward v into the water which helps dissipate waves out the sides before slapping the flatter back half of the hull.   Most of the older v drives are modified v hulls which means they start out with a deeper v in front and flatten out to the back.  As for sloshing I've never been driving with a full mid tank or  any ballast for that matter and felt sloshing. Not much can take place when the tank is full it more or less becomes a solid weight.  They would put baffles in the hard tanks if it was a problem... 

• Like 2

Basically you are using the center ballast as a trim tab. Yes, having the v of the bow more in the water will cut better but you induce more drag and spray from sitting deep in the water. 

50 minutes ago, bass10a said:

As for sloshing I've never been driving with a full mid tank or  any ballast for that matter and felt sloshing. Not much can take place when the tank is full it more or less becomes a solid weight.  They would put baffles in the hard tanks if it was a problem... 

you're right, sloshing wasn't the right term.  i meant that a hard tank with 700 lbs of water or a PnP with 900 lbs of water is now a big solid weight getting jarred hard by each slap/bump and stressing whatever dividers/brackets/fittings are holding it in place. 

My two cents, which is probably only worth a cent...  Well, with inflation maybe it is worth $10 now, who knows...

I went from a 22 to a 23 LSV.  The difference in handling chop is insane.  The 23 is so much better.  Last summer I drove my buds A24 in chop and it was considerably better than my 23 LSV.  From my on water experience I would say the bigger the boat, the better it handles chop.  I have messed with some midship ballast in chop, haven't come to a conclusion yet.  

By the way @Smiff beautiful boat!  Congrats on your purchase!  I love the look of it.  Classy & bad a**!  

My $0.01 regarding center ballast in my 247 on a pretty big lake that gets very rough…

if I am at all worried about safety or taking on water, no ballast and use the wedge to control the angle of attack.   This is unusually the worst conditions and the 10-15 mph range.

Anything faster I usually load up the mid ship ballast and aim for the 16-19 mph range.

if smooth enough water, usually front ballast  (depending on crew) and 25 mph.

This is on a 10 year old boat and a ? Year old hull design, so maybe things have changed with the more modern hullls. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2023 at 4:42 PM, Smiff said:

We are coming out of a 21’ VLX and we are wondering if the bigger boats such as the 24 MXZ ride a lot better in rough water

I made the same jump and yes there us huge difference

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 10:44 PM, Smiff said:

We just had the lit logo installed 

A7DCF74A-D090-487E-952C-E437A58B55F1.jpeg

65EE768D-DC18-44CF-8F08-B8B154EE8F06.jpeg

I love that lit logo... Is that a factory option? And if so how much. I am sure that it's not cheap, but the COOL FACTOR on that just may be a MUST HAVE....