Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning 6.2L Raptor Flame Arrestor / K&N Filter

NortherlyBoot88

So I’m trying to knock out some pre-season maintenance (that also coincides with the 300 hour scheduled maintenance) and have a question around the flame arrestor / K&N filter for the 410 Raptor 6.2L. This is for a 2017 Malibu 23LSV for additional reference. 

The question: Is it possible to use a K&N air filter re-charge kit instead of replacing the flame arrestor / filter kit? The entire kit on Bakes is ~$140 before tax and shipping, but I’m wondering if I could just clean it with one of the K&N re-charge kits for ~$20 and some elbow grease. I’m just not sure if those kits are meant to be oil like a normal aftermarket cold air intake for a vehicle. 

Would love to hear from someone who has either done this or researched and ultimately decided to just replace the entire kit.

Thanks in advance for any intel!

-Clint 

@oldjeep Not sure where the hate on K&N filters is coming from? I’ve ran them on multiple vehicles and occasionally you do have to clean them. Why in the world would it be any different on a boat that uses them? Actually, NM. The other guy already answered my question, so don’t care. 

4 minutes ago, NortherlyBoot88 said:

@oldjeep Not sure where the hate on K&N filters is coming from? I’ve ran them on multiple vehicles and occasionally you do have to clean them. Why in the world would it be any different on a boat that uses them? Actually, NM. The other guy already answered my question, so don’t care. 

Their "superior" performance comes from their inferior filtering.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

In general, the best thing to do with a K&n is to toss it in the trash.  There is no reason an air filter in a boat should get dirty.  Going on 11 years on the stock one in my boat.

Haven't touched mine in 20 years. No dirt or dust kicked up on my lake.

You would be surprised how much fiberglass dust, lint, and dog hair I regularly find in the flame arrestors.  Since the EFI systems no not have a mass air flow sensor and just use pre-programmed speed density the ECM expects a certain amount of intake air flow.  Every time I contacted Indmar about fault codes related to an O2 sensor the first thing they would ask is if the flame arrestor was clean.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, csleaver said:

Every time I contacted Indmar about fault codes related to an O2 sensor the first thing they would ask is if the flame arrestor was clean.

Which makes me very cautious when it comes to re-oiling my KN after cleaning. I mostly see a bit of girl hair and pollen and run about 3 seasons before I clean it. I have read, although probably anecdotally, that over oiling could foul a CAT or sensor.