Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow ballast 2008 LSV

ikucera

New to surfing.  We purchased a 2008 LSV with all the factory ballast tanks.  I have added 2 610 lb sacs in the rear lockers.  I think I need some more weight in the bow as we primarily want to surf, but not sure how much I need.  Wakemakers has a 300lb sac that they say will fit in the bow to add to the 350 factory bow ballast.  This doesn't seem like much of an addition.  Obviously, will need to play with things once summer arrives but wanted to know a good place to start.  Will also plan on adding a suction surf gate in the near future.  What is everyone else using for bow ballast in a comparable boat to surf?  thanks

You do not have enough weight in the rear to make a wave that will be great for surfing.  Adding weight to the front will only make the wave longer and smaller.  I have 1100 pounds in each locker with 500 pounds lead weight bags I can move around. You will be better served by having more rear weight and leave the additional bow weight alone for now

Start with the suck gate, it will clean up the wave and make it longer.

I have the earlier hull, but rarely need additional bow weight in addition to crew and mls. (But I do have 500lb bag I add to the bow walkthrough when I have little crew)

Edited by smileysteve
  • 1 month later...
On 1/30/2023 at 10:19 PM, Zippymbr said:

You do not have enough weight in the rear to make a wave that will be great for surfing.  Adding weight to the front will only make the wave longer and smaller.  I have 1100 pounds in each locker with 500 pounds lead weight bags I can move around. You will be better served by having more rear weight and leave the additional bow weight alone for now

Zippymbr, what bags are you running? We got an ‘08 lsv last summer and we are in the market for bags. 

I have 800 lbs piggyback in each locker with an extra 300lb of lead to move around.  I am upgrading to 1100 bags and reversible pumps.  Im debating on removing my hard tanks in the rear.