Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering new what would you go with 2023 A24 or A225

usanaples

I've gone through all the motions (looked at used higher end boats), and decided to just order a new Axis. The price difference is not that much to get an A24, so it seems like a no brainer to get one...so I assume I am missing something. If you were buying what would you go with and why? Thanks in advance.

We just went through this and ended up with a new a24. We loved the extra interior space on the bigger boat, the T235 and a22 just seemed small if we had our family and our friends on board. Storage and trailering isn’t an issue for us, so I wasn’t worried about that aspect. 

we also haven’t even used the boat yet, so take this for what it’s worth. 

Towing and storage could be considerations. I also find that it takes more weight in a larger boat to get a similar sized wake. I know some people will fight me on that, but bigger boats are more boyant so in my experience requires more ballast.

40 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Towing and storage could be considerations. I also find that it takes more weight in a larger boat to get a similar sized wake. I know some people will fight me on that, but bigger boats are more boyant so in my experience requires more ballast.

Going from T22 to A24 this is definitely true.  I'll also say that from the 1st gen T22 to current gen A24, the max wave potential is also higher.  We had our T22 pretty dialed (maxed its capabilities) and it actually didn't take that much weight at all ... far less than the A24.  But the A24 can easily push the weight and with the 2:1 trans and 17" prop it feels like there's plenty of power left for more weight vs the T22 that was tapped early.  So more weight doesn't necessarily mean worse fuel economy or screaming engine... just slightly longer fill and drain times.  

We do run 400lbs of lead in front or midship (same as we ran in the T22) and the A24 could probably use another 200 lbs to max out, to be honest.

(EDIT: for context we typically have 3-5 people in the boat max)

Edited by shawndoggy

A24 for sure.  sat in an A225 at boatshow yesterday and it felt significantly smaller compared to my A24.  you'll love the space when you have a big crew or when you feel like being a slob and leaving bags/junk all over.

the extra ballast is just an extra 1-2min of pumps running which is no big deal to me. i also have ~400-500 lbs lead like @shawndoggy mid/front to tune surf wave or even out the wakeboard wake; for foiling it doesn't matter

I don’t hear anyone mentioning the new hull design on the a225, and the extra space does sound great. My lift will handle it and I can tow either (but really won’t) so it seems like an A24! Still listening though… thank you!

57 minutes ago, usanaples said:

I don’t hear anyone mentioning the new hull design on the a225, and the extra space does sound great. My lift will handle it and I can tow either (but really won’t) so it seems like an A24! Still listening though… thank you!

The only argument against the A24 would be that it’s the only hull that hasn’t undergone a redesign (but it’s current layout did come out in 2021). So figure an A245 is probably on the horizon for ‘24. That won’t make a 23 work worse, but it would mean that your boat may be the “old model” in 7-8 months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

The only argument against the A24 would be that it’s the only hull that hasn’t undergone a redesign (but it’s current layout did come out in 2021). So figure an A245 is probably on the horizon for ‘24. That won’t make a 23 work worse, but it would mean that your boat may be the “old model” in 7-8 months. 

@shawndoggy makes a good point if resale is a big deal in the near future.  at least the 2023 will already have the new dash layout which is one big differentiator from older models like mine.

i hypothesize (with good reason) that the redesign will include a transom walk thru and probably a small uptick in ballast (and i'm sure the marketing department will repeatedly highlight "THE ALL NEW HULL" which i'm sure will improve the wave some - though its already fantastic). 

I'm predicting it'll have similar style/vibe as the T250...speaking of which...if you want a big/bad boat and wave, with a walk-thru now, don't hvae a tow/storage issue, and want to avoid being rapidly in an 'old model' maybe consider a T250 (nearly same price i assume and the new T's have a decent sized bow).

concur.  its a personal preference but if you've got kids, the wide pickle fork bow is fantastic.  my kids always gravitate to the front with their friends; A24 will routinely fit 4-5 elementary school age no problem.  

14 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Going from T22 to A24 this is definitely true.  I'll also say that from the 1st gen T22 to current gen A24, the max wave potential is also higher.  We had our T22 pretty dialed (maxed its capabilities) and it actually didn't take that much weight at all ... far less than the A24.  But the A24 can easily push the weight and with the 2:1 trans and 17" prop it feels like there's plenty of power left for more weight vs the T22 that was tapped early.  So more weight doesn't necessarily mean worse fuel economy or screaming engine... just slightly longer fill and drain times.  

We do run 400lbs of lead in front or midship (same as we ran in the T22) and the A24 could probably use another 200 lbs to max out, to be honest.

(EDIT: for context we typically have 3-5 people in the boat max)

Completely agree there.

Also, last I heard the A225 didn’t get the 2:1 vdrive and 17” prop. For me, this will be a dealbreaker going forward.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

This would be my only hangup with ordering a A24 (or an A20.)  Once the newer tub is out the possibility of buyer's remorse is going to be higher for someone who recently bought the superseded platform.

I personally think the T235 splits the difference and would be my choice if storage and lift capability is there.  We love our T220 and it does the job beautifully while fitting in our garage and is also pretty easy to tow.  A225 would be the same.  But if I could have pulled off a T235, I would have.  

Regarding the bow the T235 is a hybrid bow and is almost as roomy as a full dill boat.  it's a clever design and reduces some of the risks/drawbacks of the pickle. 

Edited by rennis
3 hours ago, rennis said:

This would be my only hangup with ordering a A24 (or an A20.)  Once the newer tub is out the possibility of buyer's remorse is going to be higher for someone who recently bought the superseded platform.

I personally think the T235 splits the difference and would be my choice if storage and lift capability is there.  We love our T220 and it does the job beautifully while fitting in our garage and is also pretty easy to tow.  A225 would be the same.  But if I could have pulled off a T235, I would have.  

Regarding the bow the T235 is a hybrid bow and is almost as roomy as a full dill boat.  it's a clever design and reduces some of the risks/drawbacks of the pickle. 

Great point, we looked at a T220 at a Marina, and the bow was definitely roomy (almost as big as the A225). You guys have really turned me around here, I've been designing T250's all day. I'm still listening, but will let ya'll know what I end up ordering.

I’ll talk A24 and T250 all day . Had 2 24’s and now a 250 . I’m my mind , way different discussion on these two models than the smaller models you suggested early in the post . Love the 250 

1 hour ago, Livinlogs said:

I’ll talk A24 and T250 all day . Had 2 24’s and now a 250 . I’m my mind , way different discussion on these two models than the smaller models you suggested early in the post . Love the 250 

The 235 has the same beam and draft as the A24, and is only 12" shorter.  I'm guessing it will hang right there with one in terms of wake/wave.

But yes, if budget allows it get the 250, and if possible get the LT4.  Sooooo beefcake!  So wish I could pull one of those off!!!  They are just monster. 

NWInboards has a couple of very clean used ones on the lot right now. 

Edited by rennis

I didn't realise when I talked with my dealer about the difference in cost that that was before upgrading the motor to the M6, so the $3,000 price difference turned into a $15,000 price difference really quickly. This may be a new topic, but now I am looking back at the A250, T220, and as you mentioned the T235... Which could be the goldilocks answer here.  My dealer said it would be borderline, but he hasn't had anyone who ordered that combo yet, so no live feedback. The question now is, do I need to upgrade to the M6 motor in the T235, has anyone had experience with that?

I may be in minority, but i hypothesize a T235 is doable with an M5 with the caveats of Sea level and focus on surf   If you want to wakeboard heavy or are at any meaningful altitude it'll struggle. 

Correct propeller selection will be required, probably adding a few hundred rpm to your surfing and maybe a little noise, but up to you if worth $15k at purchase (some of which would come back on re-sale as an M5 boat will definitely be less marketable down the road).

i say this because my A24 has the Monsoon 409 and i can load it fully at sea level and surf all day with the 3077 prop.  But if i have full ballast and a medium crew, getting to 20+mph is a struggle (it'll get there, but working hard).  No problem with a crew of 8+ cruising or pulling tubes, but if serious wakeboarders in your crew want big wakes, you'll need an M6 (we rarely wakeboard, so don't care).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you We are in Florida, so pretty darn close to Sea level. My kids don't really look for a huge wake when wakeboarding, and they do when surfing, so I'd say that is the priority. I just don't want to get our new boat and feel underwhelmed, or regret.

30 minutes ago, usanaples said:

I just don't want to get our new boat and feel underwhelmed, or regret.

if you go T235 with M5, the what-if T250/M6 will always sit in the back of your mind. 

if this is your forever boat, kids are young/growing, and you have an enthusiastic/professional watersports family - assuming you can swing it, i'd vote splurge/YOLO as its a ~10% difference (my wife convinced me of this logic when we debated T23 vs A24 a few years ago).  The wave and space will be great as kids and their friends get bigger, and you'll never have that itch following you around (doing it once right is cheaper than upgrading).

But, if there is reason to believe your situation will change in a few years (kids going off to college, retirement move, whatever), or you like upgrading while under warranty, or boating simply isn't an all consuming activity - then i'd vote T235/M5.  Will still make tons of good memories, perform great, and just accept the fact that as with most purchases, "if i just spent a little more..."   and remember that keeping that 15k in the bank offers a different kind of piece of mind.

I think you can tow it and store it, go bigger.  I love my A22, but do wish I had the A24 sometimes.  Went A22 because it just fits in my garage.  A24 was too long.  

21 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

if you go T235 with M5, the what-if T250/M6 will always sit in the back of your mind. 

if this is your forever boat, kids are young/growing, and you have an enthusiastic/professional watersports family - assuming you can swing it, i'd vote splurge/YOLO as its a ~10% difference (my wife convinced me of this logic when we debated T23 vs A24 a few years ago).  The wave and space will be great as kids and their friends get bigger, and you'll never have that itch following you around (doing it once right is cheaper than upgrading).

But, if there is reason to believe your situation will change in a few years (kids going off to college, retirement move, whatever), or you like upgrading while under warranty, or boating simply isn't an all consuming activity - then i'd vote T235/M5.  Will still make tons of good memories, perform great, and just accept the fact that as with most purchases, "if i just spent a little more..."   and remember that keeping that 15k in the bank offers a different kind of piece of mind.

This is great advice and may go a step farther into being great wisdom, thank you, you make excellent points. At this moment you've got me convinced T250 it is.

• Like 2

OK, so just to bring some closure on this, I just sent the deposit on a custom order T250 with the M6. I came in here asking about 2 other boats and ended up changing direction completely. Thank you all for the direction, information, and wisdom. I guess I'll have to post a picture and share some feedback once I get it.

Edited by usanaples
  • Like 3