Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 VLX floor repair?

BillyChinookVLX

My 03 VLX has developed a couple soft spots in the floor panel that covers the fuel tank. Seems like somebody could have taken a hard step heel first and put a dent/weak spot the size and shape of a heel in the floor. (Not pointing fingers…. But my buddy who is frequently on the boat with us weighs probably 280 and is anything but graceful) I pulled the panel out and found out that it’s 1” aluminum honeycomb panel. Being 20 years old some of the interior honeycomb is rotted out.

has anybody done a successful repair on these floors? I’m thinking along the lines of drilling in from the bottom under my soft spots and injecting either a foam or epoxy/resin material. I’m really hoping to avoid replacing the panel, I can’t imagine that material is cheap and matching carpet will be a challenge for sure. 

Thanks for your ideas and input!

That's exactly what I did. On the edges I gently "peeled" the hexagon aluminum where it was damaged to expose in tact and undamaged aluminum, and in the dented areas I drilled several holes and then filled it all with epoxy mixed with milled fiberglass for strength. Lastly, I covered the top of the panel (which seemed to be the weak point) with a single layer of resin with woven roving. It ended up super strong and probably saved me a bit compared to the alternative...but it was a bit of a pain.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, formulaben said:

That's exactly what I did. On the edges I gently "peeled" the hexagon aluminum where it was damaged to expose in tact and undamaged aluminum, and in the dented areas I drilled several holes and then filled it all with epoxy mixed with milled fiberglass for strength. Lastly, I covered the top of the panel (which seemed to be the weak point) with a single layer of resin with woven roving. It ended up super strong and probably saved me a bit compared to the alternative...but it was a bit of a pain.

Did you fill your soft spots only or try to fill the whole sheet?