Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Actual Engine Hours

rkgallagher

I am looking for an explanation of the hours shown on Perfect Pass vs. the actual hours on the engine. We took the boat in recently for a maintenance service. The invoice and checklist of services performed showed that the engine had a different # of hours than what Perfect Pass displays. I'm also keeping in mind that Perfect Pass reset to "0" after upgrading the chip to v6.5N a year ago. Does the dealer hook up a device to the engine that shows the actual # of engine hours? Are #'s calcuated when the engine is running, even at idle?

Why would these #'s be different? How is each measured or registered? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

IIRC, the hourmeter used to run as long as the key was on, even if the engine wasn't running, prior to 2003. And yes, there is a device that can be connected to the engine that shows actual hours, as calculated by the computer, as well as other information.

there also is a way to set the engine hours in PP so that match up to actual engine hours. Get the actual from the dealer, and then do the reset in PP. It is one of the prompts when putting in the data.

I think that PP may reset if the battery is ever disconnected (BICBW), so that may play in as well.

When we upgraded PP to v6.5N, the boat hours = 100. When it came back from being serviced, the dealer entered 28.6 for # of hrs., which can't be right. Any thoughts?

I think that PP may reset if the battery is ever disconnected (BICBW), so that may play in as well.

Mine doesn't. I also don't have a way to manually set the hours on the PP gauge from what I can tell (v 6.3). I recently plugged in my old gauge hoping it would read off the engine directly, but of course it doesn't. At least I was able to confirm the original hours on the first gauge so I can track the total number of hours on the boat without going to the dealer.

Engine hours register only when the engine is above 300 rpm - which eliminates hours being registered when the key is on.

Right, on the newer boats. On older models though, the hour meter would turn even if the key was in the on position with engine off.

Engine hours register only when the engine is above 300 rpm - which eliminates hours being registered when the key is on.

Right, on the newer boats. On older models though, the hour meter would turn even if the key was in the on position with engine off.

Then our boat must have THOUSANDS of hours on it Crazy.gif I would actually be interested in finding out the actual engine hours...hmm...

Edited by jetskipro550

Then our boat must have THOUSANDS of hours on it Crazy.gif I would actually be interested in finding out the actual engine hours...hmm...

Next time it's at the dealer, have them plug into it & tell you. It would take them all of 10 minutes to do.

Next time it's at the dealer, have them plug into it & tell you. It would take them all of 10 minutes to do.

Never been to the dealer....probably never will :) I will check and see this spring if our mechanic has the ability to do so.

Ah, that's right, I forgot about that. Well, maybe if the timing is right when you're on this side of the mountain I could get David to show up with his laptop & plug in to your boat. :)

That would be cool...probably be a while before I am towing the boat over that way though :lol: I have D-lake in my sights as soon as spring break hits...I am just praying that it doesn't poor all break long Yes.gif

Ah, that's right, I forgot about that. Well, maybe if the timing is right when you're on this side of the mountain I could get David to show up with his laptop & plug in to your boat. :)

That would be cool...probably be a while before I am towing the boat over that way though :lol: I have D-lake in my sights as soon as spring break hits...I am just praying that it doesn't poor all break long Yes.gif

Humm D-lake or LBS....no contest imho Tease2.gif Another Plus hit Pilot Butte Burger. Yahoo.gif

Humm D-lake or LBS....no contest imho Tease2.gif Another Plus hit Pilot Butte Burger. Yahoo.gif

hmmm, one hour, warmer water temps vs. 3.5 hours and freezing cold everything

And a very good possibility of hitting a stump. We just drove over Santiam, have you seen how low that lake is right now? If we don't get some snow or have a wet spring, that lake is in serious trouble this summer.

I think we had this conversation last year...D-lake is Devils Lake, not Detroit Lake :lol:

Devils Lake

Edited by jetskipro550

here are the instructions for a PP reset. I thought along the way, it does prompt you for entering engine hours, but I could be wrong (also PP does NOT lose engine hours when disconnected, at least not version 6.3 - 6.5):

Factory Reset Digital Pro

Version 6.5

STEP 1:

First do a System Reset by pressing and holding the ON/OFF & MENU buttons together as you key on to the system

(particularly when the version number is displayed). Continue holding as the Perfect Pass display goes through

its normal start up procedure until [system Reset ^ = Yes] appears.

Note: If you do not see this message appear and the system appears to start normally then you did not have the

buttons pressed firmly enough or at the proper time. Key off the system and REPEAT STEP 1.

STEP 2:

Press the UP key to continue the reset.

STEP 3:

[RPM @ RESET^ = Yes]. Answer yes by pressing the UP key.

[6.0 / 8.1 ^=Yes] or No by pressing down key.

[read in MPH ^ = Yes]. Answer yes by pressing the UP key.

STEP 4:

Next [Wakeboard Only ^ = Yes] will appear.

IMPORTANT: At this point, Press the ON/OFF key C will appear on screen

Press the MENU key

Press the ON/OFF key

Press the MENU key

Press the ON/OFF key

Press the MENU key

Press the ON/OFF key CC will appear on screen

CC confirms complete reset. Turn key off & back on and INITIAL HOURS should appear.

While we're on the subject of hours/hour meters, what does the blinking green light on my hour meter mean? And, the hours don't seem to be counting up either. Thx,

rg