Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

We did it better ???

pauley71

LOL.....  Just like the surf pipe?  Is that going to be the next post?

I am honestly surprised they went here.  I figured we were all above this type of fray.  MC makes a great boat.

Edited by Five Cent Worth
  • Haha 1
ahopkins22LSV
19 minutes ago, barefootpaul said:

Isn't it exactly the same? Seems like better would be if someone made a step without the protruding hinges.

They are promoting it is better because it only require one hand to deploy and retrieve. Could be but on my friends sea ray the friction style hinges are not enough to keep the step down in the water, it floats back up. So depends on how they work I guess. The Malibu one is super easy to use despite being “two handed” and it’s always staying down so it is just a cheap shot imo. 

I don’t see them promoting their bass tracker seat pylon for their helm seats. I’m sure they “did that better” too.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Sink a boat?  Why is that whole platform way under water.

Because MC boats need to have rear ballast full to have the platform function without a ladder.  Or at least all the MC guys we run with do.  

6 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Because MC boats need to have rear ballast full to have the platform function without a ladder.  Or at least all the MC guys we run with do.  

And this is why the sole MC wife hangs on the back of our boat. 😁 Their X55 is a nice boat though.

Fwiw, I saw the MasterCraft step at the boat show a couple hours ago.  Yup, it is a step.  Seems to have less busy looking hardware than the Malibu step.  Still see no need for a step.

Plus side, looks like we will be building our own wooden paddle board over the course of 7 evenings in May.  Only interesting thing we saw this year.

I will say the MC functions very nicely, very easy to fold. The picture they posted is on an XT, the xlt models sit very deep when full. Most of these steps will be on the X series which do not sit deep under the water at all. 

Am I wrong but didn't the Malibu one come from cobalt and it's patented? Wonder how MC got around the patent. I know MB had one similar to BU but they redesigned due to patent.

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, skurfer said:

Am I wrong but didn't the Malibu one come from cobalt and it's patented? Wonder how MC got around the patent. I know MB had one similar to BU but they redesigned due to patent.

I know it came from Colbalt and was introduced on the Malibu line shortly after MBUU acquired Colbalt. I would assume it is patented but maybe it ran out or they are paying royalties?

5 hours ago, NWBU said:

Since the Cobalt swim step patent is still active, I’m guessing MC is still paying royalties on this redesign.

Maybe, I think MB redesigned theirs so they don't have to 

38 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Didn’t Supra have that before Malibu did? 

Yep.  I remember it at the boat show early on and being impressed.  
Also, the version on the 26LSV is much improved.  Larger table surface and it lies completely flat if you want.  

On 1/19/2023 at 10:59 PM, skurfer said:

It would be interesting to see if they are paying royalties or not.  If their claim will be that it is something different or new, I'd be a little shy about claiming it was the same thing but better,  Seems like you just admitted to copying the concept to a degree.

16 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Yep.  I remember it at the boat show early on and being impressed.  
Also, the version on the 26LSV is much improved.  Larger table surface and it lies completely flat if you want.  

i love the idea of being able to lay flat, will be interested to see if that becomes the new normal in the future. (i think Mastercraft also has a lay flat version coming out too).

Centurion Ram-fill and Malibu Surf-gate are the only couple significant brand-only differentiators that come to mind (whether you like them or not).  If my google search is correct, surfgate (U.S. Patent No. 8,578,873) is almost 10 yrs old.  So in a couple years, won't it expire and then who knows if any companies switch from tabs to gates or vice versa. (perhaps they have some related patents that will kick that can down the road a little?)

to that end, after 5+ years of rapid innovation/experimentation, seems like we are headed towards one homogeneous wake boat industry...everyone adopting similar sliding tables, walk through transoms, surf pipes, stern thrusters, fast-fill ballast, flip down steps, flip-up seats, rider pre-sets on big touch screens, 'cool-touch' vinyl, and picklefork vs traditional bow options.  Will be like Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry - concepts are the same, small differences in execution and 'feel' but overall very similar product.  Thus things like dealer convenience or brand loyalty drive decision more than a unique feature/capability driving a purchase decision.

not sure if that's good or bad, but feels like the trajectory.

• Like 2