Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 MXZ or 23 MXZ for surfing

brunerdan

Looking to upgrade from my Mastercraft X45. The main goal is a better surf wave. Can anyone compare the surf wave between the MXZ 22 vs the MXZ 23? Would love an M220 or 240 but they’re just too pricey for me at the moment. Thanks!

What years?  I think they discontinued the 22 MXZ.  Just the 23 and 24 now (which honestly doesn't make any sense).

..and welcome to the crew.

Edited by pauley71
ahopkins22LSV

The M235 will surf better than either of the MXZ’s. I’ve surged the 22MXZ which can produce a good wave but took extra bow weight and tweaking with speed wedge for each size crew I had. I drove it for an event so I had lots of different crews. The interior get tight real fast too. Felt more like my 20VTX instead of a 22’ boat. 

I haven’t surfed a 23 MXZ but I suspect it will be better because of the hull being specially designed around surf gate and power wedge three which performs better than PW2 imo. The 2017+ 22 MXZ was designed around surf gate too but the 23 is even newer so even more optimized hull. Plus there is quite a bit better interior layout. 

I would consider length of remaining warranty in this situation as well.  I'm a big fan of owning boats & trucks under warranty.  I always trade my truck in on year 4, I trade boats in after year 3.  I get more back in trade, and don't have to worry about to many unexpected expenses.  One of my biggest pet peeve’s is having to shell out money unexpectedly and when I feel that I shouldn't have to.  I know it doesn't bother some people, my wife included, but for whatever reason it really irks me.  I'm not saying it's the most cost effective thing, it just boils my blood to shell money out for something I feel shouldn't fail in a given amount of time.  

Terrible photo, but pics are still fun!  This is a 2020 23MXZ surfing doubles - it does surf better than the 22MXZ, which I have also spent a decent amount of time behind.  

I can’t comment on the M235. It may be better, but given it is a discontinued model I would lean towards an 23MXZ just for down the road resale, if that is a consideration.   You should also get the M series engines in the 23MXZ, which are generally loved more than the previous powerplants.    Of course the M235 should have a supercharged motor, even if it is not the LT4.  It kind of depends on what you value and what elevation you ride at.   

image.thumb.png.884ada371c2ef91cc5d35de9aa36aaab.png

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
25 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Terrible photo, but pics are still fun!  This is a 2020 23MXZ surfing doubles - it does surf better than the 22MXZ, which I have also spent a decent amount of time behind.  

I can’t comment on the M235. It may be better, but given it is a discontinued model I would lean towards an 23MXZ just for down the road resale, if that is a consideration.   You should also get the M series engines in the 23MXZ, which are generally loved more than the previous powerplants.    Of course the M235 should have a supercharged motor, even if it is not the LT4.  It kind of depends on what you value and what elevation you ride out. 

image.thumb.png.884ada371c2ef91cc5d35de9aa36aaab.png

Great point on the engines. Huge upgrade in my opinion.

• Like 3

I had a 2021 23 MXZ and it was a great wave.  My only hesitation on the M235 is the motors.  I think the 23 MXZ is great in a more compact/nimble package (easier to tow as well).

I love my M220 (I guess similar to the M235) but its definitely more boat all around.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

I had a 2021 23 MXZ and it was a great wave.  My only hesitation on the M235 is the motors.  I think the 23 MXZ is great in a more compact/nimble package (easier to tow as well).

I love my M220 (I guess similar to the M235) but its definitely more boat all around.

Does the M220 ever feel crowded for you? Is the interior much smaller than the 23 MXZ?

OtherBoatisaCessna

I considered an M220 before buying a 23MXZ.   While the M220 feels like a bigger boat when standing next to it on the trailer - partly just because it is so tall - the M220 interior is definitely smaller than the 23MXZ and I felt it wouldn’t be big enough for our use.  

On 1/20/2023 at 11:32 AM, brunerdan said:

Does the M220 ever feel crowded for you? Is the interior much smaller than the 23 MXZ?

The boat is 7" shorter but I don't notice it and have had several 23 LSVs and a 23 MXZ and it feels the same to me.  The bow is more useable since its deeper.  I think the impression of smaller is really that you are sitting "in it" rather than "on it" due to the deeper freeboard.  23 MXZ has a great wave but hands down the wave is better on the M220.   

• Like 2

We just bought a 2023 MXZ 24. The crazy thing is that I’ve never surfed or ridden in one.  We are coming out of a 21’ VLX.  Our family is growing and we were at capacity.  I was starting to lose my mind with the crowded interior.  We had Rev 12s installed on the tower along with the lit Malibu logo on the side and that’s all cool but really I care most about the wave.  I trust that a tank like that will produce a good one.

C31CCC4B-4D0F-49F0-B290-C7BC0ADD140B.jpeg

7E06C0DB-28C1-49BC-AC14-7AE5F3154700.jpeg

BEA544A8-7019-42F0-BB20-9279F3E9C6F8.jpeg

Edited by Smiff
1 hour ago, Smiff said:

We just bought a 2023 MXZ 24. The crazy thing is that I’ve never surfed or ridden in one.  We are coming out of a 21’ VLX.  Our family is growing and we were at capacity.  I was starting to lose my mind with the crowded interior.  We had Rev 12s installed on the tower along with the lit Malibu logo on the side and that’s all cool but really I care most about the wave.  I trust that a tank like that will produce a good one.

C31CCC4B-4D0F-49F0-B290-C7BC0ADD140B.jpeg

7E06C0DB-28C1-49BC-AC14-7AE5F3154700.jpeg

BEA544A8-7019-42F0-BB20-9279F3E9C6F8.jpeg

The Malibu logo is badass. Was that factory or aftermarket?

• Like 1