Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$150 for 2 Hour Focus Group

mook222

I was called this past week while out of town and the following message was left on my voice mail:

"This is not a sales call or solicitation. We are calling to invite you to participate in a two hour boat owner focus group that we are conducting with Malibu Boat owners. We understand you own a Malibu and would like you to attend for which you would receive $150. Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx if interested."

I have not called back yet, but before I did I thought I'd check with y'all to see if anyone had received this call as well, or if any of you had ever attended this type of focus group.

I am always skeptical of this type of call, but it sounded genuine and not like a recording or normal telemarketing call. Also, not sure I've got two hours (that usually turns into 3-4) to spend chatting with them, but we'll see when and where they schedule it.

Please let me know if anyone else has received the call or attended that might help me with my decision on whether to participate.

Thanks,

Mook

If that was legit...that would be AWESOME! Nice to see they spend the money to get straight consumer feedback in person. I hope that was the real deal you got called about. Rockon.gif

Scott

I was called this past week while out of town and the following message was left on my voice mail:

"This is not a sales call or solicitation. We are calling to invite you to participate in a two hour boat owner focus group that we are conducting with Malibu Boat owners. We understand you own a Malibu and would like you to attend for which you would receive $150. Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx if interested."

I have not called back yet, but before I did I thought I'd check with y'all to see if anyone had received this call as well, or if any of you had ever attended this type of focus group.

I am always skeptical of this type of call, but it sounded genuine and not like a recording or normal telemarketing call. Also, not sure I've got two hours (that usually turns into 3-4) to spend chatting with them, but we'll see when and where they schedule it.

Please let me know if anyone else has received the call or attended that might help me with my decision on whether to participate.

Thanks,

Mook

I don't know about Malibus but one of the girls at work got a call like this after she had bought a Lexus. She ended up going. There were 12 people of varying backgrounds that sat in a conference room at the local Marriot for 2 hours. Whatever you wanted to drink and a bunch of snacks. There was a short 5 minute video they watched on an aspect of owning a car (luxury, sport qualities, engine power, or safety, etc) , then the moderator asked for the new owners views on that particular topic, then another short video, then repeat. I think they got $100 -- she said it was pretty cool and would do it again.

My day job is Marketing for a fortune 100 company. The call and offer may very well be legit - that is exactly how we do it. In fact I have done specifc boat owner focus groups to get cosnumer perspectives on our proucts but not Malibu specific. :(

There we some bu owners in the groups but also SeaRay, Rinker, Lund, etc...

What do you have to lose?

As long as they don't tell you that *oh, by the way, we represent a wealthy business man that would like to buy your boat. All we need is your social security number, and bank acct. info. and we'll transfer the money right away*

That sounds like a great deal if not just for the fact that you get to meet some fellow BU owners in your area..

I have had a few calls form oversea's on my boat for sale on a few free websites. I am very skeptical of those...

My day job is Marketing for a fortune 100 company. The call and offer may very well be legit - that is exactly how we do it. In fact I have done specifc boat owner focus groups to get cosnumer perspectives on our proucts but not Malibu specific. :(

There we some bu owners in the groups but also SeaRay, Rinker, Lund, etc...

Agree with Bill W - this is how it is done.

A couple of questions you can ask -

What is the facility that does this? When we do this, it's using facilities in the local town specialized for focus groups - the 1 way glass, recording and all.

How many people? Focus groups are most effective in groups of 6-10. If it's more than 20, you've probably got a sales request.

Will I be able to leave after 2 hours without any further contact?

Good answers to those and you've likely got a true focus group.

Rather coinciental that we also get a newbie posting a "Boating Questionaire" here on the Crew, the same week.... asking questions about boating in general..... then specific questions about Tige's.

Coincidences don't usually happen.

Something smells.

Tracie, No. I never knowingly posted my number on the site. (that I can remember) I did however go to the "Do Not Call" site that was posted here a while back and have since had a significant increase in telemarketers calling. (I truly believe those site were the telemarketers collecting "victims")

I agree with the questions that Turner suggested, and plan to call them back tomorrow to see what and where.

I appreciate the feedback, and will let you know what happens.

Closer to $150 richer,

Mook

Rather coinciental that we also get a newbie posting a "Boating Questionaire" here on the Crew, the same week.... asking questions about boating in general..... then specific questions about Tige's.

Coincidences don't usually happen.

Something smells.

He posted on wb.com as well. I doubt he is a troll, he is most likely a marketing student from Texas. Seeing as Tige' is located in Texas it makes sense that he would ask about them. It didn't really seem like he knew much of the watersports segment so I believe that his question was in good will.

UPDATE:

I called them today. The focus group is set up for tomorrow evening and they said it was "booked". (I'm assuming they call more than they need and then take the first 10-12 responders)

Anyway, they said they would call me if they have a cancellation, but also asked if I would be available later this week for a restaurant focus group. ??? I told her I was more interested in the boat group, so she then reiterated that she will call if it opens up, but do I like cheese? She has a cheese focus group later next week......

Funny. I won't be holding my breathe, but doubt I will hear back unless they want my input on bratwurst or potato chips....

I did ask who the boat focus group was benefiting and she said it was a buying habits study and they were going to compare the responses from malibu owners, bayliner owners, searay owners and one other brand. (wasn't Tige)

There you go. Thought it may have been Malibu doing the research, but it did not seem like it from her response... although she may have been more savvy than she seemed by covering up the sponsor of the research. (which was probably the case if she's been trained at all)

Snoozed and "Loozed" the $150,

Mook