Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Clear Gas Ethanol Free Option

I recently discovered  Clear Gas Ethanol Free gas as an option at a Maverick gas station in Lake Havasu, Arizona.  Does anyone have experience using it in their boats?  I'm curious as it is now available for me.  

Ethanol free gas is a big deal if you have a small engine (lawnmower, snowblower) or an older boat / PWC with a carbureted engine.  Ethanol gums up the carbs making them hard to start and/or run smoothly.  It also can destroy rubber parts (fuel lines, seals, orings, etc..).  That said, modern cars/trucks/boats do not have issues with Ethanol gas b/c they are fuel injected and have been designed with Ethanol in mind.

I have a SCAG mower and SCAG did a test and found that non-ethanol seemed to lower engine temperatures which could prolong the life of an air cooled engine but doesn't really apply to a liquid/thermostat controlled car or boat. 

we have it where i live too - it's more expensive that premium where I live and my boat requires premium with my particular motor.  I have a friend who runs it in his surf boat all the time though so as long your boat doesn't require premium i would say it's fine.

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Its gasoline without corn, whats the concern? 

A friend did a test with his truck and found that he got ~10% better mileage with non-ethanol (known as "Marine Fuel" here) compared to E10.  Florida took the teeth out of the federal law mandating E10 by removing the penalty for using it in your car.  Unfortunately, gas stations get about $1 more per gallon for it, but at least it is generally above 91 octane.

57 minutes ago, justgary said:

By the way, @PopsA22, why is this in the Axis forum?

Probably b/c he has an 2019 Axis A22 and wants to know what other Axis owners are doing in their boats (pros/cons/etc.).   

5 hours ago, justgary said:

A friend did a test with his truck and found that he got ~10% better mileage with non-ethanol (known as "Marine Fuel" here) compared to E10.  Florida took the teeth out of the federal law mandating E10 by removing the penalty for using it in your car.  Unfortunately, gas stations get about $1 more per gallon for it, but at least it is generally above 91 octane.

Yes, its well documented that ethanol has a lower BTU and this lower fuel mileage. 

E10 is likely cheaper becuase the farmers get subsidised to grow it and refineries get subsidised for blending the ethanol in to every gallon of gas. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Ethanol free gas is a big deal if you have a small engine (lawnmower, snowblower) or an older boat / PWC with a carbureted engine.  Ethanol gums up the carbs making them hard to start and/or run smoothly.  It also can destroy rubber parts (fuel lines, seals, orings, etc..).  That said, modern cars/trucks/boats do not have issues with Ethanol gas b/c they are fuel injected and have been designed with Ethanol in mind.

I have a SCAG mower and SCAG did a test and found that non-ethanol seemed to lower engine temperatures which could prolong the life of an air cooled engine but doesn't really apply to a liquid/thermostat controlled car or boat. 

Meh - been running E10 through every piece of power equipment I own for 30 years and never had an issue with mowers, chainsaws, snowblowers.  The only fuel line that E10 destroys is stuff that is so old that it should have been replaced 20 years ago.  But yes, you get lower mileage - like 2-3%. 

I've been forced to run Clear Gas in my M6DI as a result of too high water content (87 grade).  Its been an interesting two summers but hopefully we have a new strategy for 2023 season.  So, if you don't have issues with water, and your boat is running fine, keep doing what you do, save the extra money.  If you want piece of mind, run clear.

We have both at my marina.  The ethanol free is a higher octane.   I usually switch between the two.  Will fill up to the top with ethanol free for the off season.  

Edited by gtfish

I have been using pure gas for at least 10 years. Before mavericks, I got it from an Independent Uhaul dealer that sold Sinclair Non Ethanol gas. 

I have a older Vintage Sunsetter with a carburetor. 

I  would only use it on my last trip of the year prior to winter storage, because ethanol attracts water.

I mix in some fuel stab,  run it, and do the winterization. then siphon the remainder out of the tank  and put that fuel in the truck.

I  eventually started using Pure Gas all the time because I very rarely go through a whole tank of fuel in one outing.  The boat may not get out again for a few weeks or at all till it has to be stored.

I started using it in my 1994 K2500 Suburban and noticed the truck ran better and gets better mileage ( I average 12 to 14 MPG ).

Both the boat and the Truck are pre ethanol vehicles, But I had no issues with fuel line deterioration or gummed up carb prior to using pure Gas. 

That said, I feel better that my fuel is a little more stable for periods of non use.

All my other vehicles are corn fed ethanol. 

i ran non ethanol for 8 yrs in my 14 5.7L a20,  ZERO motor issues in 1137 hours 

my 2022 new boat in todays stupid times i run the ethanol because i can no longer afford non ethanol pricing,  i also run 87 ethanol and accept my motors detuning vs the recommended 91, 

both boats have 250+ plus hours seasons 

if that helps!

i dont have a big layup usually just 6 weeks so i might just leave it in for that short period which i never did before

non ethanol can lay up for a VERY LONG TIME with zero stabil added

we need to get rid of IOWA senator Bob Dole’s legacy of the biggest rip off ever, adding corn syrup to gas to keep crop subsidies alive 

Edited by granddaddy55
4 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

i ran non ethanol for 8 yrs in my 14 5.7L a20,  ZERO motor issues in 1137 hours 

my 2022 new boat in todays stupid times i run the ethanol because i can no longer afford non ethanol pricing,  i also run 87 ethanol and accept my motors detuning vs the recommended 91, 

both boats have 250+ plus hours seasons 

if that helps!

i dont have a big layup usually just 6 weeks so i might just leave it in for that short period which i never did before

non ethanol can lay up for a VERY LONG TIME with zero stabil added

Does your A20 require 91 octane fuel?  

6 minutes ago, PopsA22 said:

Does your A20 require 91 octane fuel?  

gone now but no it specd at 89,  it would go slightly top end faster with 91 but premium also produced excessive heat you could feel when you removed a cabin seat cushion 

my pcm450HO IS 91 spec but i run 87.  when boat is extremely loaded with a big crew solely in the cabin and my 660 lead there as well it can have issues getting to surf speed if i dont supplement with the center tab being deployed and/or dont request 300+ lbs of people to join the 500 pnp in the bow

Edited by granddaddy55