Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

weberj5596

Great work! Now, send one of those speedos back before it's too late and replace it with perfect pass. :whistle: Best upgrade you'll ever do. But it will mess up your super clean setup. I think the gauge only comes in black. For real, great work on the delete.

Edit. They come in white too!

http://perfectpass.com/?q=displays

Edited by BlindSquirrel
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Great work! Now, send one of those speedos back before it's too late and replace it with perfect pass. :whistle: Best upgrade you'll ever do. But it will mess up your super clean setup. I think the gauge only comes in black. For real, great work on the delete.

Edit. They come in white too!

http://perfectpass.com/?q=displays

I have debated this however my understanding is adding perfect pass is very expensive? Anyone familiar with a good thread on adding it? Does it require efi?

1 minute ago, weberj5596 said:

I have debated this however my understanding is adding perfect pass is very expensive? Anyone familiar with a good thread on adding it? Does it require efi?

it does not require EFI.  It is a servo motor that pulls on the throttle linkage against the return spring. Like everything else, PP costs.  I didn't get around to adding it for several years, but after adding it, I would not ever be without it.  Think of it as a safety issue (if that helps,). You can set your speed and keep your eyes on all the lake lice instead of the dashboard.

• Like 1

Wow! That looks cold. I would think their feet would get numb pretty quickly. 

Is your volt gauge working correctly? It looks like it shows less than 12 volts which would be a severely discharged battery. 

@RebesMalibu - he's from Wisconsin, pretty sure they felt it was just the last day of summer.

@weberj5596 - nice work, and as noted Perfect Pass is one of the best 'investments' one can make.  They do have great customer service.  Does your gang spend time on skis, that is where the system really shines.  It is one of those things once you use it you wonder how you did without it.

14 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@RebesMalibu - he's from Wisconsin, pretty sure they felt it was just the last day of summer.

@weberj5596 - nice work, and as noted Perfect Pass is one of the best 'investments' one can make.  They do have great customer service.  Does your gang spend time on skis, that is where the system really shines.  It is one of those things once you use it you wonder how you did without it.

We are everything from 2 skiing 5 year olds to 360 atb to airchair and bare-footing! It’s something I want but not something I want to drop the cash on right now! I grew up in a boat without it and my brother has it in his boat! It is nice without a doubt but more of a luxury in my mind. Eventually I’ll add it I’m sure!

4 hours ago, RebesMalibu said:

Wow! That looks cold. I would think their feet would get numb pretty quickly. 

Is your volt gauge working correctly? It looks like it shows less than 12 volts which would be a severely discharged battery. 

Good question! Brand new battery although the key was on quite a bit for gauge testing and such. Boat fired up just fine. Not sure of the best way to test this :dontknow:

19 hours ago, weberj5596 said:

Good question! Brand new battery although the key was on quite a bit for gauge testing and such. Boat fired up just fine. Not sure of the best way to test this :dontknow:

You could use a digital multimeter to compare the actual battery voltage to the displayed voltage. 

• 2 months later...

Great Job! 
In 2010, I did the MDC delete my previous 2001 MC X10. It was a bear to get all the wiring correct, but I did almost exactly what you did here. 

The gas gauge issue is that the voltage/resistance reading from the sending unit doesn't match standard gauges(the MDC did the conversion). There are some posts on the TeamTalk / MC forums by some ppl that are way more electrically savvy than I am that explain how to measure the voltage from the sending unit and put in some resistors or diodes that will correct the voltage reading to the gauge so it reads correctly. 

On 3/10/2023 at 6:58 PM, weberj5596 said:

It ‘works’ but isn’t correct

You need to put in a new sending unit. The swing arm style are not as good as the newer reed switch. For a Sportster, an 8in sending unit is required. Any questions, just ask me, I am in the middle of a minor Sportster resto that stemmed from putting in a new fuel sending unit. 

The fuel tank and sender are probably grounded at the engine.  The sender can give poor performance when the ground connection gets cruddy.  Check and clean the connections at the tank and at the engine (both heads) before changing a sender.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 7:49 PM, LakeLife23 said:

You need to put in a new sending unit. The swing arm style are not as good as the newer reed switch. For a Sportster, an 8in sending unit is required. Any questions, just ask me, I am in the middle of a minor Sportster resto that stemmed from putting in a new fuel sending unit. 

I am just getting around to tearing the boat apart to try and replace the sending unit. What a pain.

anyways, my tank is 10” tall at the location of the sending unit. Wouldn’t I need at least a 9” unit to accurately read? I also see a bunch of different options mostly 0-190 ohms and 240-33. I have no idea what I need lol

• 3 weeks later...

I added HydroPhase to my 01 Sunscape instead of PP. best investment ever. HydroPhase was a bit cheaper and has more memory/functionality than PP and also has great customer service. I love the dial on my HydroPhase instead of the up/down buttons on PP. your gauges look awesome. I wish I had the knowledge (balls) to delete my MDC. I’ll install your HydroPhase if you do my gauge conversion. Lol

On 4/5/2023 at 4:26 PM, weberj5596 said:

I am just getting around to tearing the boat apart to try and replace the sending unit. What a pain.

anyways, my tank is 10” tall at the location of the sending unit. Wouldn’t I need at least a 9” unit to accurately read? I also see a bunch of different options mostly 0-190 ohms and 240-33. I have no idea what I need lol

On 4/23/2023 at 1:26 AM, Bushmankev said:

I added HydroPhase to my 01 Sunscape instead of PP. best investment ever. HydroPhase was a bit cheaper and has more memory/functionality than PP and also has great customer service. I love the dial on my HydroPhase instead of the up/down buttons on PP. your gauges look awesome. I wish I had the knowledge (balls) to delete my MDC. I’ll install your HydroPhase if you do my gauge conversion. Lol

Did you go gps or paddlewheel version?

the mdc delete was a bit time consuming but overall very easy. I was a little overwhelmed going into it but the guide here would give you exactly what you need to do it. It’s easy!

On 4/26/2023 at 7:06 AM, weberj5596 said:

Did you go gps or paddlewheel version?

the mdc delete was a bit time consuming but overall very easy. I was a little overwhelmed going into it but the guide here would give you exactly what you need to do it. It’s easy!

GPS version. It’s been awesome