Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Preferred mirror location?

uk_exile

What’s your preferred ski mirror location? Centre? In front of driver? On top of screen, or mounted on tower arm?

I’ve never been 100% happy with the placement of the mirror in my 03 Response LXi. It’s the factory CIPA mirror mounted on top of the centre glass. Clear view, no vibration but can never quite rotate it enough to get absolutely symmetrical view.
Have just fitted a tower mounted bimini and mirror just snags on it when open the walk through glass. Maybe time to change to a tower mirror arm, but will it give a symmetrical view?

ahopkins22LSV

Based on @shawndoggy’s recommendation back in the day, I used this mirror on our response. I liked it mounted on the drivers side so I could quickly look up and check my boat path or on the skier and then get back to looking ahead. Could easily see the skier on both sides too. 

CIPA 01609 Black Vision 180 Degree Marine Mirror with Deluxe Cast Aluminum Cup Mounting Bracket https://a.co/jdlkWCy

It should be symmetric.  We have a tower mounted mirror on our 05RLXi.  I have to adjusted so that it sits a few inches above the top of the windshield and in line with the driver.  Works well.  

2 hours ago, Bluefishcay said:

It should be symmetric.  We have a tower mounted mirror on our 05RLXi.  I have to adjusted so that it sits a few inches above the top of the windshield and in line with the driver.  Works well.  

@Bluefishcay @ahopkinsVTX the existing CIPA width of view isn't 180deg but it's ok. The existing minor issue is it simply won't quite pivot enough to give symmetrical view. Never been enough of a frustration to steer me towards changing but now due to very slight bimini clash, maybe it's time to consider tower mounting arm. That's if they give good skier view and don't vibrate.  

I left my OEM CIPA mirror mounted on the center window and added a CIPA 180 on a CIPA tilt mount to the driver's side.  Now I don't care if people want the center window open or not.  My buddy figured out that he can twist the center mirror left to see me on the (left-mounted) boom when I barefoot.

If it weren't for that and the fact that it would leave a mark on the windshield frame, I would just remove the OEM mirror.  The 180 is so much better since the mount puts it several inches above the top of the windshield.

ahopkins22LSV
11 hours ago, uk_exile said:

@Bluefishcay @ahopkinsVTX the existing CIPA width of view isn't 180deg but it's ok. The existing minor issue is it simply won't quite pivot enough to give symmetrical view. Never been enough of a frustration to steer me towards changing but now due to very slight bimini clash, maybe it's time to consider tower mounting arm. That's if they give good skier view and don't vibrate.  

Our response didn’t have a tower, but on boats with towers I much prefer the tower mount. Keeps the mirror off the windshield. Can have the center glass open and it puts the mirror right above the windshield at the driver so I can quickly look up and check on everything just like in our response.