Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mystery hose on my LT4

Bubbasboy

3 hours ago, csleaver said:

That may be the hose to supply raw water to a water cooled propshaft dripless seal.  Your boat likely does not use a water cooled dripless.

Thanks for the reply

10 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Wouldn’t it need a valve or cap if you did? I actually bought stuff to do that to mine at one point but never did the install.  

Good point, that is the open end. What is the other brass assembly below the index finger? Like it might be the other end to that fitting. 

52 minutes ago, wdr said:

Good point, that is the open end. What is the other brass assembly below the index finger? Like it might be the other end to that fitting. 

Good eye.  It is barely peeking out from behind the split tube sleeve (just below the thumb) in the second photo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 12:55 PM, St. Ellis said:

I could be wrong but aren't those hydraulic steering lines? I thought that's what I saw on an Axis I winterized.

The M240 does have hydraulic steering (and I hate it) tried to chase the line I’m holding in the picture but it gets lost under the engine. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Access to the hydraulic hose fittings can be difficult and requires some panel removal.  All of the hose fittings should be checked annually to make sure they are all tight.  Bleeding is difficult and those two exposed bleed hose extension makes it easier. 

The best way to fill and bleed the system is by using the Power Purge Jr kit, but it is around $1k or so.  Manual bleeding is a two man job and has to be done in a very particular way.  Here is a guide with the required steps.

https://www.boats.net/blog/how-to-purge-seastar-hydraulic-steering

Hydraulic steering service manual 

https://documents.dometic.com/media/download/78831?templateId=0

On 12/2/2022 at 10:47 AM, Bubbasboy said:

The M240 does have hydraulic steering (and I hate it) tried to chase the line I’m holding in the picture but it gets lost under the engine. 

can you elaborate on why you hate the hydraulic steering?

Edited by smuurph84
On 1/30/2023 at 7:07 AM, smuurph84 said:

can you elaborate on why you hate the hydraulic steering?

The hydraulic steering feels like it’s delayed when steering the boat and the wheel is never strait. What I mean by strait is the orientation of the wheel at any given time can be off. This is why I believe there is air in the line, when under power if I give input to slightly turn the boat and next thing you know it turns sharply in the direction you are turning the wheel and then you have to counter steer to keep it going strait. Nothing like a cable system, my hydraulic steering has a mind of its own.

7 hours ago, Bubbasboy said:

The hydraulic steering feels like it’s delayed when steering the boat and the wheel is never strait. What I mean by strait is the orientation of the wheel at any given time can be off. This is why I believe there is air in the line, when under power if I give input to slightly turn the boat and next thing you know it turns sharply in the direction you are turning the wheel and then you have to counter steer to keep it going strait. Nothing like a cable system, my hydraulic steering has a mind of its own.

The wheel never being straight is by design on many hydraulic systems. Lock-to-lock number of turns turning one direction is different from turning the other direction. That does not imply air in the lines; however, your description of turning slightly may result in a large turn may indicate air! 
I installed hydraulic in my old runabout years ago and loved it; sure wish the A20 steered as tight.

We had a 22 LSV without hydraulic and now have a 23 MXZ with.  Would never order one of these big boats without hydraulic again.  Nothing vague, very precise.  Warranty issue if it was like that way from the start....

In the MXZ when you are surfing the position for the wheel to go straight is different than when running across the lake at 28 MPH or so.  You have to pick what speed you want the wheel to be straight at from what I see in our boat.  The 22 LSV was less so that way.  If larger prop with more pitch is the cause then the LT4 would be even more that way.