Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GMC vs Chevrolet 2500 Purchase

wedge88

The weather is cold and I need to get a new truck on order before year end and kinda tired of all the EV talk.  Looked at the new Ford but order banks are hit and miss and no guarantees on when vehicle will arrive.  Ram was a top choice but due to parts shortages they removed some key options that turned me off.  I've been working with GMC dealer and Chevrolet dealer.  Thought I wanted the AT4 but then drove the High Country (which is the only Chevy front end I can tolerate.) The rebates are the same but the HC is about $2K less.  We are a GM supplier but that means very little for HD trucks.  GM is claiming 4 month max lead time as production has been catching up.  I think rebates will be better by the time I take delivery.  I love everything about both rigs but prefer the interior of the AT4.  The wood grain in the Chevrolet needs to go but beyond that, they are the same rigs. 

I'm coming from a 2017 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali.  I like some chrome but like the simpler appeal of the AT4, especially when on job sites.  The HC and Denali, with all their chrome, appear to be more showy than I like but I do want the features that come along with it which is another check for the AT4.  

What says TMC?  Waiting on the rebates to be announced for December and then I will place the order.  I will sell my 3500 shortly after and drive my F150 work truck until delivery.  My hope was to get away from two truck (personal/business) which is why I'm going 2500 on this go round.  The 2500 will handle what I need as the biggest thing I haul, weight wise, is our 38' TT.  

What would you get and why?  Pro and cons?  Here are some build pics of both.  Not looking to start a brand loyalty debate here, just a discussion to pass the time.

Screenshot (186).png

Screenshot (188).png

Screenshot (195).png

Screenshot (196).png

Screenshot (201).png

Screenshot (202).png

Screenshot (203).png

Screenshot (206).png

I have a 2020 Denali 3500 DRW and a 2023 1500 AT4.  The the interior, screen and electronic features on the 2023 are substantially better than the 2020 after the 1/2 ton refresh, but the HD trucks won't get the refresh until MY 2024 (out next spring or early summer).  Also, the D-Max is getting an upgrade for MY2024.  If you can wait I would wait.   

That said, the AT4 is a little more off-roady than the High Country.  Both nice trucks just pick based on preference. 

Edited by jjackkrash
6 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I have a 2020 Denali 3500 DRW and a 2023 1500 AT4.  The the interior, screen and electronic features on the 2023 are substantially better than the 2020 after the 1/2 ton refresh, but the HD trucks won't get the refresh until MY 2024 (out next spring or early summer).  Also, the D-Max is getting an upgrade for MY2024.  If you can wait I would wait.   

That said, the AT4 is a little more off-roady than the High Country.  Both nice trucks just pick based on preference. 

Wish I could wait and strongly considered the 1/2 ton because of the updates but my service truck has 267,000 miles and my accountant says "it's time".  I've always been in the camp of buying the last of the generations as the bugs seem to have been worked out.  Hoping to stay on a 3-4 year replacement plan to keep miles under 150k by the time I switch.  

7 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Wish I could wait and strongly considered the 1/2 ton because of the updates but my service truck has 267,000 miles and my accountant says "it's time".  I've always been in the camp of buying the last of the generations as the bugs seem to have been worked out.  Hoping to stay on a 3-4 year replacement plan to keep miles under 150k by the time I switch.  

It's still gonna be a great truck.  I love my 2020.  The new features on the 2024 are just a little better.  The good news is the incentives on the 2023 are probably going to be better than on the 2024.  

Edited by jjackkrash

By the time you add the black-out features, you'd be closer to the difference in the AT4 and you'd still be left with the wood-grain interior.  I can't seem to understand who their customer base is that is buying those trucks and are wanting the wood-grain.  Clearly I don't know something.  That has always been a bring reason I haven't been interested in the denali or the HC. 

19 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

By the time you add the black-out features, you'd be closer to the difference in the AT4 and you'd still be left with the wood-grain interior.  I can't seem to understand who their customer base is that is buying those trucks and are wanting the wood-grain.  Clearly I don't know something.  That has always been a bring reason I haven't been interested in the denali or the HC. 

I've wondered this as well.  It was ok for years but they can't seem to let it go.

3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Work truck clearly means something different these days ;)

I have personal truck (HD Denali) and work truck (F150).  I moved from managing our service side to buying the company but I will always carry tools to help where/when I can.   I'm tired of maintaining two vehicles and taking up space at our house so I'm combining into one.  Since it will be one vehicle and I'll spend 35-40k miles a year in it, it will be considered a work truck but it doesn't cost that much more to go first class.....  After taking the cash from my HD and trading in the F150, I'll still get into this for less than we're paying for service vans, which still baffles me. 

1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

It's still gonna be a great truck.  I love my 2020.  The new features on the 2024 are just a little better.  The good news is the incentives on the 2023 are probably going to be better than on the 2024.  

I couldn't believe the differences in tech, suspension and engine from my 2017 to the 2023 I drove.  

I’ll be changing to the new high country hd. Currently have a 16 Sierra DRW Denali trim. I like the GMC but the Chevy grew on me. My debate will be if I go dually again. Can’t go wrong either way though. 

18 minutes ago, MadCan said:

I’ll be changing to the new high country hd. Currently have a 16 Sierra DRW Denali trim. I like the GMC but the Chevy grew on me. My debate will be if I go dually again. Can’t go wrong either way though. 

Why the HC over the Denali? For me it was based on cost and too much chrome on the Denali.  The exterior of the HC is sharp.  I didn't care for the yellow bowtie logo on front and back but found you could black those out for $190.  I had really hoped that when I did that, the interior logo on the steering wheel would have darkened as well but it didn't...  Small potatoes I know but at $85k, I want what I want. 

• Like 1

I have chrome on my 2016 Denali but it'll be the last chromed-out truck I own.  Just too old-man-truck looking IMO.  Except the new Vader Chrome on the GMCs.  That's sick.

You're really finding a price on the Chevy that beats Laura's price?  That's a bit surprising.

19 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I have chrome on my 2016 Denali but it'll be the last chromed-out truck I own.  Just too old-man-truck looking IMO.  Except the new Vader Chrome on the GMCs.  That's sick.

You're really finding a price on the Chevy that beats Laura's price?  That's a bit surprising.

Laura has been offering the same as every other dealer.  GM incentives only.  Another closer dealer is actually $1000 lower than Laura.  If someone from Laura's actually returns a call, it's usually "we don't have that vehicle as it's sold or  still in-route" but even that is after 4-5 days from call/ email submission

The Chevy dealer has another $1000 off for Costco members but they are sitting on that and GM incentives only as well.  

It's amazing how lazy auto dealers have become and it will bite them in the very near future.  I'm dealing with the two that have responded quick.  The GMC dealer is $1000 off + GM incentives but they aren't offering the Costco discount.  If they were, I'd be within $1000.  

I'm betting on $5-$6k in incentives by March which is when I hope to pick up the new rig.  

Unless you absolutely have to have one right now, I would wait for the 2024's. The interior upgrades will be worth the wait. I recently decided to quit looking and place an order for a 2024 Denali Ultimate.

38 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Why the HC over the Denali? For me it was based on cost and too much chrome on the Denali.  The exterior of the HC is sharp.  I didn't care for the yellow bowtie logo on front and back but found you could black those out for $190.  I had really hoped that when I did that, the interior logo on the steering wheel would have darkened as well but it didn't...  Small potatoes I know but at $85k, I want what I want. 

The denali is getting too fancy looking for my taste. The HC seems to be on point if the bow ties are color matched or blacked out. I’m not super into all the flashy stuff. I still use my truck for work. I like the features bells and whistles but just not the flashy exterior. Personal preference is all. 

11 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

Unless you absolutely have to have one right now, I would wait for the 2024's. The interior upgrades will be worth the wait. I recently decided to quit looking and place an order for a 2024 Denali Ultimate.

What is your ETA?  Is your order in the GM bank or just with the dealer?  My contacts at GM (not dealers) are telling me I wouldn't see a 2024 until Sept/Oct.  Two dealers have told me that order banks won't be open till February for them to submit.  I like the interior but it will come at a higher price and most likely with more gremlins.  The Denali Ultimate is new but the AT4 looks to be very similar to the 2023 minus a new interior.  I'm also hoping that my timing is good and incentives really jump up for the 2023s once the order banks are open for the 2024s.

1 hour ago, MLBurns said:

Are the orders open?  I am going to get in line for one when they open up.  They were not taking orders last week when I was at the dealership.    :)  

1 hour ago, wedge88 said:

I'm also hoping that my timing is good and incentives really jump up for the 2023s once the order banks are open for the 2024s.

I have a very good relationship with my dealer.  I was there a week or so ago.  They said they have been without HD trucks for months, then GM dropped about 15 on them (with a lot more on the way) about the same time they were announcing the new 2024 upgrades.   They were pretty pissed about the timing.  I suspect they will be dealing on the 2023s because they are pumping them out to lots now that there's no chip shortage and people are wanting to wait for the 2024s.  

3 hours ago, wedge88 said:

What is your ETA?  Is your order in the GM bank or just with the dealer?  My contacts at GM (not dealers) are telling me I wouldn't see a 2024 until Sept/Oct.  Two dealers have told me that order banks won't be open till February for them to submit.  I like the interior but it will come at a higher price and most likely with more gremlins.  The Denali Ultimate is new but the AT4 looks to be very similar to the 2023 minus a new interior.  I'm also hoping that my timing is good and incentives really jump up for the 2023s once the order banks are open for the 2024s.

The dealer is supposed to let me know when we can place order, will let you know when this happens. We ordered my 2019 High Country 1500 early enough it turned out to be the 2nd one delivered to Texas.

Edited by MLBurns

Does GM offer an alternative for the wood grain in the new trucks?  My '18 Sierra had the wood grain (like they all did).  I purchased the GM Synthesis interior trim kit, which swapped out all the wood for silver to match the silver on the dash.  MUCH better and after I sold my stock trim (truck only had a few hundred miles on it at the time), the upgrade was a whopping $90 out of pocket.

That said, the Sierra looks so much better than the Silverado.  

I would NOT order a 2023 just cuz of the microscopic screen. If you can’t wait for a 2024 GM then order a 2023 Ford. The 12” screen is epic. Either way you’re waiting, why not wait for what you want! 

Or what about ordering a 2024 GM and then buying a used 2020 GM as a bridge truck while you wait. Used car values are plummeting… maybe there’s a deal to be had. You might get 12-18 months out of the bridge truck, but then you’ll get the new interior as soon as your 2024 arrives!  

As far as AT4 vs. HC, i would lean AT4 just because I much prefer the GMC front clip. But the HC is a sharp truck, especially the two-tone interior.  I don’t mind a little wood as long as it’s not shiny (pic below). 

Bottom line… i really like the direction GM is going with their interiors (2023 GMC Canyon Denali pictured below). I think it’s worth the wait! 

That’s my $0.02

EA968F7A-D2E5-4E8F-8155-AFB209AA80FF.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3

That at4 is a sharp truck. Not a fan of chrome myself so that’s most of it. 

But yes I would definitely wait for the 2024 if you plan to keep it. I was driving my dads 2020 HD Denali today and couldn’t help but think how dated the screen felt coming from ram and ford.