Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Medallion gauge issues

weberj5596

I’ve got a 99’ sportster lx with the 3” and 2” gauges.

Fuel, temp, oil pressure, voltmeter all work great

left speedo is pinned at 45mph

tach is at zero

right Speedo is at 0

when the key is switched on all 3 gauge needles shake but when the boat is running all 3 do not work. I can get the left one to move when applying light air pressure to the speedo tube. But it never goes below 40-45mph standing still.

Any ideas??

For the longest time I thought there was a problem with my speedo gauge, but it turned out that the previous owner messed with the adjustment rockers a lot and caused it to read 20mph slower than actual speed. Maybe try to adjust the gauges before you get into replacing stepper motors. Perhaps the tach needs a new motor but maybe you get the speedos to work.

26 minutes ago, roeboat said:

For the longest time I thought there was a problem with my speedo gauge, but it turned out that the previous owner messed with the adjustment rockers a lot and caused it to read 20mph slower than actual speed. Maybe try to adjust the gauges before you get into replacing stepper motors. Perhaps the tach needs a new motor but maybe you get the speedos to work.

I actually gave this a try. It moves the right gauge up and down as needed. The left Speedo won’t budge with the adjustment

12 hours ago, proey said:

Likely you need to replace the stepper motors on those gauges.  I’ve done that twice before with success.  Mine where both 2” gauges but I think the process is the same for the 3”

Planning to do this fix now but I can’t seem to get the clear lens separated from the body of the gauge! Any tips?

20 hours ago, weberj5596 said:

I actually gave this a try. It moves the right gauge up and down as needed. The left Speedo won’t budge with the adjustment

On my 99 only one speed adjust rocker works. In order to adjust the other speedo I had to swap wires on the rockers. It's easy enough if things are already torn apart so might be worth a try.

15 hours ago, proey said:

I used a sharp thin utility knife blade.  Doesn’t take a lot of force and the knife doesn’t need to go deep, maybe a 1/16 of an inch, maybe even less.

They must have used a special glue on on mine because I can’t get them to budge :( wondering if a little heat would loosen it up or not…

On 11/10/2022 at 11:00 AM, weberj5596 said:

Do you have a little switch to the right of the steering wheel that chooses which speedometer is adjusted with the up and down buttons?

Steve B.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the new motor in the tach and it does the same thing. Just shakes when you turn the key on but when the boat is running, nothing happens. If while the key is off I manually move the gauge to say 6k rpm’s and then turn the key in, it will move to the left a few thousand rpm’s, shake and then does nothing. Assuming I have an issue with the computer but it’s weird that they are getting power to the gauges but not working beyond that yet 4 of the gauges do work 

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I finally decided after multiple attempts and no success to do the MDC Delete. New Faria gauges should get here by mid next week. I have all the old ones out and the wiring harness almost ready for the new gauges (want them in my hands to make sure I terminate everything the way I need to). I might make a new MDC Delete thread with more pictures/videos of the steps but we will see. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Sethro said:

Want to get rid of your old gauges?

Yes, ill be selling the known working gauges (fuel, Voltmeter, temp, oil pressure) the 2 speedometers id give away for the price of shipping since I cannot confirm if they are good or not) same with the Tach but since the lens is broken on that one I doubt anyone will want it. Will also give away the MDC for the price of shipping since I suspect its the cause of some gauge issues but it may be perfectly fine.

All 4 of the 2' gauges work just fine. The speedos and Tach are unknown. all 3 needles move when you turn the key but nothing else. I replaced the stepper motor in the tach and it just does the same thing. my assumption is its the MDC but since the 4 small gauges work I dont know whats up with them. Lens/housing cracked on the tach.

PM me if you are interested.  $20 per 2" gauge + Shipping. Just pay shipping on the MDC/Tach/Speedo (although if you find them to be in perfect working order i would really appreciate a little kickback but I understand if you dont!)

v5mYDpq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...