Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interior Carpet Problems

FL Long Ball

Can anyone tell if the carpet in your BUs have ANY seams at all? I believe that there are no seams at all and that the carpet is put in the boat in one piece.

A new boat that I ordered came from the factory with a section of carpet melted in the bow of the boat. The dealer cut out the carpet in the bow of the boat and replaced it. The only problem is that now there is a seam in the carpet as you go into the bow. Thanks for your help.

The pieces are pretty small, since the main floor section is a panel over the gas tank. I dont think that there are any seams, as they would probably curl up after a few years. I would probably insist that they do a correct repair, although that might require the removal of all the seats, panels, etc., which if not done by a competent, caring repairman, might cause a host of other minor fitting problems when all is reinstalled.

On the other hand, if they glued the rug down with some real good waterproof glue, it might hold up fine, and after a while, you won't notice the seam as much as you probably do now.

You could always ask for something extra for free. Carpet saver, might cover that seam and protect it at the same time. My bow is closed off with the factory ballast tank, but I don't thank I have any seams in my boat either.

You have a brand new boat with carpet problem! Wow, I am sorry, but would ask for a complete replacement, as that is unacceptable in my opinion and should never have left the factory. From my visits to the factory I know for sure that the carpet is one piece and is laid before the top cap is put on. That really sucks. I would want major compensation or new boat. It's winter, so they have time. Any idea how the melting took place? Factory issue or perhaps done by dealer after delivery which would explain his repair. Keep us posted!

You have a brand new boat with carpet problem! Wow, I am sorry, but would ask for a complete replacement, as that is unacceptable in my opinion and should never have left the factory. From my visits to the factory I know for sure that the carpet is one piece and is laid before the top cap is put on. That really sucks. I would want major compensation or new boat. It's winter, so they have time. Any idea how the melting took place? Factory issue or perhaps done by dealer after delivery which would explain his repair. Keep us posted!

I don't know for sure. I have two therories....1) When the factory used a hole saw to cut the fiberglass for my heater outlet, they set the saw on the carpet with a hot blade and it melted the carpet. 2) I had my dealer install a tower after the boat got to the dealer because I wanted an Extreme tower. Possibly the same thing happend where they set something with a hot blade or drill bit on it an it melted. I think that the first theory makes more sense given the proximity of the damage to the heater outlet.

At the end of the day, what really pisses me off is that my dealer has the worst customer service and is a master manipulator! Having owned two other BUs, I know that there are no seams......I have also been to the competitions factory and the carpet is the first thing to go down in the boat and there are no seams. It is all one piece. It is so typical of him to cut corners. At the end of the day, it is all about him, not his customers.

I have not seen the repair job yet, but when I asked him what they did to fix it, I got the "...it was no big deal....the factory has a joint in the carpet just past the captain's chair and so all we had to do was replace that piece of carpet. Stuff like that happens all of the time." I call BS and don't think that I want to be plunking down $50 Geezele to a dealer that handles things in that manner. I hate to say it, but my experience with this boat purchase has been so bad (has sucked from the word go), I may have to seriously consider the competition. (Ouch...it pains me to say that) Cry.gif

I may just be being overly anal, but for $50k, I think that having a boat that is built and finished correctly is not too much to ask. Tell me if I am being unreasonable.

If you have not given him the $50k yet...you have a ton more leverage.

I would be calling the reginonal Malibu Rep and get him envolved. Let him stick his nose in on it and I would be very surprised if your "JackA$%" dealer doesn't change his tune. And you would get the real scoop from the regional rep. Just call the factory and ask, as the dealer may not provide you with that info. I bought a used boat and he was very easy to deal with and most informative. The rep will want to see that you are satisfied at the end of the day, even tho the dealer may not give a S@%T.

Scott

I call BS and don't think that I want to be plunking down $50 Geezele to a dealer that handles things in that manner. I hate to say it, but my experience with this boat purchase has been so bad (has sucked from the word go), I may have to seriously consider the competition. (Ouch...it pains me to say that) Cry.gif

I may just be being overly anal, but for $50k, I think that having a boat that is built and finished correctly is not too much to ask. Tell me if I am being unreasonable.

If you have not given him the $50k yet...you have a ton more leverage.

I would be calling the reginonal Malibu Rep and get him envolved. Let him stick his nose in on it and I would be very surprised if your "JackA$%" dealer doesn't change his tune. And you would get the real scoop from the regional rep. Just call the factory and ask, as the dealer may not provide you with that info. I bought a used boat and he was very easy to deal with and most informative. The rep will want to see that you are satisfied at the end of the day, even tho the dealer may not give a S@%T.

Scott

I call BS and don't think that I want to be plunking down $50 Geezele to a dealer that handles things in that manner. I hate to say it, but my experience with this boat purchase has been so bad (has sucked from the word go), I may have to seriously consider the competition. (Ouch...it pains me to say that) Cry.gif

I agree call the rep, if the dealer won't help. The two Malibu reps I have met in the past year where both great and care about there product and want to make you, the customer, happy.

Fior what it's worth...

My 2004 RLXi does has a seam that runs perpendicular to the walk through right where the walk through starts. I didn't buy it brand new, so I can't speak to whether it was a repair job or not, but the seam is barely noticeable and I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever, even when scrubbing the carpet every spring.

Mike

Fior what it's worth...

My 2004 RLXi does has a seam that runs perpendicular to the walk through right where the walk through starts. I didn't buy it brand new, so I can't speak to whether it was a repair job or not, but the seam is barely noticeable and I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever, even when scrubbing the carpet every spring.

Mike

Who is your dealer? If he knows we know he may think twice about how he treats his customer.

I think this is better than what I payed.

Is yours the black/white '07 Response LXi that was getting picked up a couple weekends ago? If it is, that is one good looking boat...I was checking it out when they were getting it ready for you. Probably one of the best looking boats I've seen...ever.

Sorry to hear about your carpet and other problems with the dealer. I've had very good luck with them, especially since they hired the current service manager a couple years ago.

Is yours the black/white '07 Response LXi that was getting picked up a couple weekends ago? If it is, that is one good looking boat...I was checking it out when they were getting it ready for you. Probably one of the best looking boats I've seen...ever.

Sorry to hear about your carpet and other problems with the dealer. I've had very good luck with them, especially since they hired the current service manager a couple years ago.

Yep...that is it. The service guys are great there. Since a certain sales rep left several months ago, things have just not been the same.

Sandors build pics.

The link above was posted today. There are some good shots of the factory carpet install. Are the seams in your's close the the seam shown in the pics?

Yes. The seam is is in the walkway into the bow, very close to where it is in these pics. The difference is that on a Response, the walkway goes all the way into the bow vs. on this boat in the pics and in my VLX, there is a step up if you will for the seating area in the bow. I guess I need to find another new Response and take a look to see if there is a seam. I don't think that there should be....there is no logical reason why you would need one.

Let's see some pics!!!! Surprised.gif

Let's see some pics!!!! Surprised.gif

Plus1.gif for the pictures. I think the seam is an option.

Sandors build pics.

The link above was posted today. There are some good shots of the factory carpet install. Are the seams in your's close the the seam shown in the pics?

did anyone else notice the major difference in the lines on the very back center cushion. they arent even close to lined up. you can see it best in pic 16. Mad.gif

• 1 year later...

You may think this is crazy but the dealer told me that the carpet melts because of the sun reflecting through the window. I thought they were full of it..(I had a melted spot too). Anyway, I told them I wanted it replaced so they sent it to Malibu and they replaced all of the carpet…I told them I wanted it like new.

Just last week I noticed it happening again….starting to melt.. Anybody ever heard of this theory?