Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone hearing 6-8% price increase Jan1

liquidrider

Malibu had a ad saying they didn’t raise prices for 2023 but I was in a dealership yesterday and he said 6-8% coming for Jan. Sad since they had a 13k material surcharge last year. Is anyone else hearing this?

@IXFE I think pointed it out on margins

Economy's in utter stagflation mode between hard to get materials that are continuing to rise that are still in shortages and continued labor increases.. I wonder how close my theory is coming to true that we end up at roughly plus 40% of pre-pandemic for about everything including wake boats?

3 hours ago, RCorsa said:

I guess discounts will be another 5% this year then.  I mean no one pays MSRP for these?   Maybe a a few of the uniformed?  

You think dealers are gonna eat this price increase by giving the consumer a bigger discount? 

😂😂

I heard 6%.  Been pricing left over 2022s and 2023s.  Not impressed so far with % off MSRP.  Still waiting a bit until the post 2021 sales boom effect wears off.

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

You think dealers are gonna eat this price increase by giving the consumer a bigger discount? 

😂😂

Especially when they are financing floor plans at higher rates? Hahah

1 hour ago, onwi said:

I heard 6%.  Been pricing left over 2022s and 2023s.  Not impressed so far with % off MSRP.  Still waiting a bit until the post 2021 sales boom effect wears off.

Sadly I think @IXFE numbers show it might be a bit longer before that happens than I previously assumed.. guessing there will be a 6 to 12 month lag from what Many might expect 

How does the January increase work -- take delivery after 1 Jan and price goes up by 5%?  or only orders signed after that date? 

IIRC  last year's thread had lots of discussion around who was on the hook for increases and sounded like there were important nuances/triggers related to dates when sales agreements were signed (something the customer can control) vs build/delivery dates (which could easily slip you past a deadline and mean theres a $5-10k delta to figure out).

1 hour ago, CaptainMorgan said:

How does the January increase work -- take delivery after 1 Jan and price goes up by 5%?  or only orders signed after that date? 

IIRC  last year's thread had lots of discussion around who was on the hook for increases and sounded like there were important nuances/triggers related to dates when sales agreements were signed (something the customer can control) vs build/delivery dates (which could easily slip you past a deadline and mean theres a $5-10k delta to figure out).

I'm not sure you can draw a comparison between last year's increases and this year.  There was a price hike last year across the board.  Then there was as surcharge added.  That surcharge was directly related to raw material cost increases passed direct to Malibu and then down to the customers.  Fuel costs contributed to this surcharge as well.  If your deal was signed, agreed to, and confirmed by Malibu prior to date "X", you had price protection.  Otherwise you ate it.  That's not the case, at least not at the moment, for 2023.

3 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

my understanding, boat needs to be shipped before Jan. 1 - if not, you will likely get hit with price increase even if order is in.  That's what I was told.  Maybe others have different info.

Any production after Jan 1 will have the price increase, regardless of when the order was placed. While not surprised by the inflation related increase, I wish they would’ve given more warning since there’s a lot of orders already taken for spring production that are impacted by this.

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

Any production after Jan 1 will have the price increase, regardless of when the order was placed. While not surprised by the inflation related increase, I wish they would’ve given more warning since there’s a lot of orders already taken for spring production that are impacted by this.

For 2022 boats that were ordered in 2021 there was a cutoff on ordered boats with customer deposit.  Before the cutoff date (It was sometime in September, if I recall) the increase was modest, around 3%.  If you ordered later in the year you got the full monty mid-year price increase. then it was up to the dealer and customer to negotiate how that was shared.  

So in my case I had the deposit for our boat in August of 2021, finalized order in Sept. 2021, then got the dealer call in January 2022 about price increase, but it was only 3% due to timing of events.  We split that 3% 50/50.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NWBU said:

I was hoping for the opposite, kinda like stated , orders after Jan 1. That just made me pull the plug on 25lsv .  It was a huge stretch to begin with , I’ll be fine with my perfectly good t250. I see on this thread that lots of people order in the fall for spring delivery, I was ordering within 30 days likely . They are all impacted . My only choice is what is on the floor or inbound  by years end . I realize 8% might not deter many from this luxury purchase but it does impact me 

2 hours ago, Livinlogs said:

I was hoping for the opposite, kinda like stated , orders after Jan 1. That just made me pull the plug on 25lsv .  It was a huge stretch to begin with , I’ll be fine with my perfectly good t250. I see on this thread that lots of people order in the fall for spring delivery, I was ordering within 30 days likely . They are all impacted . My only choice is what is on the floor or inbound  by years end . I realize 8% might not deter many from this luxury purchase but it does impact me 

I hear ya. Without any increases and some potential on the horizon to maybe negotiate again, I was back to toying with upgrading idea again (love idea of a T250)...but this certainly dampens that idea. 

Some may not care, but takes me from a solid maybe down to a probably not.  Others may bump down a model size or from Bu to Axis.  Will be interested to see/hear how it affects various shoppers.

16 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Don’t be deterred…? It’s not 8%. It’s only 6% and it only applies to the base price (not the options). So for a 25 LSV you’re looking at a $179,035 base msrp * .06 = $10,742. 

Life is short, eat the donut

AADEA115-BA38-45B4-9EBB-CF72071B15FE.gif

Ok I’m back off the ledge :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, IXFE said:

Don’t be deterred…? It’s not 8%. It’s only 6% and it only applies to the base price (not the options). So for a 25 LSV you’re looking at a $179,035 base msrp * .06 = $10,742. 

8 hours ago, Livinlogs said:

Ok I’m back off the ledge :) 

so much for joining/following TMC only costing you $25/yr... :thumbup:

Edited by CaptainMorgan