Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help with fins and prop shaft

Hello 

Got a boat on auction. 2012 malibu txi. Its missing 2 of 3 fins. Are they all identical or each one is different? And also got a bent prop shaft. Can't seem to get a coupling off the shaft. Is there specific tool? I tried gear pullers but there isn't enough space between transmission and the coupling to pretty much insert anything. In the youtube video guy loosened the nut on the shaft and used it to pressure out the shaft. I did that but my nut not wide enough. Then i went further and used stack of coins taped it to back of transmission and screwed it back together with transmission. Didn't really have enough hand power to keep going and the shaft pretty much is still there. I was also worried i might screw up transmission. Is there a trick or some other fastener I am missing? The nut on the shaft is gone. But the thing isnt really budging. 

5 hours ago, svmagnum said:

Hello 

Got a boat on auction. 2012 malibu txi. Its missing 2 of 3 fins. Are they all identical or each one is different? And also got a bent prop shaft. Can't seem to get a coupling off the shaft. Is there specific tool? I tried gear pullers but there isn't enough space between transmission and the coupling to pretty much insert anything. In the youtube video guy loosened the nut on the shaft and used it to pressure out the shaft. I did that but my nut not wide enough. Then i went further and used stack of coins taped it to back of transmission and screwed it back together with transmission. Didn't really have enough hand power to keep going and the shaft pretty much is still there. I was also worried i might screw up transmission. Is there a trick or some other fastener I am missing? The nut on the shaft is gone. But the thing isnt really budging. 

Here is how I got mine off. *a heat gun on the coupler was the key* Pretty sure those fins are all the same size.

used propane torch on mine no dice. Got a flywheel puller, used that and used shaft nut as a prop. Screwed up the shaft nut. Used it to push out shaft and the threads on the nut gave way.  Also threads on the puller's 3 bolts gave way too. The coupling on actual transmission. How strong is it? Since mine seems to be stuck in there very good and pushing against transmission is pretty much easiest way to go about it. Do i have a chance bending the coupler or doing some damage to transmission? Cause when I used stack of coins in between transmission and shaft 3 out of like 8 bent out of shape and i pretty much couldnt really tighten anymore. Should i just get a torque wrench and go at it full power?

23 minutes ago, justgary said:

There we go.  The third time's the charm.  It has to happen now!

Some folks like spending hours, potentially breaking other stuff than spending 5 minutes creating dust and sparks;)

8 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Some folks like spending hours, potentially breaking other stuff than spending 5 minutes creating dust and sparks;)

I know, but I can't blame somebody who wants to get it done the old fashioned way.  Even I have a threshold I have to get to before I whip out a cutting tool.

11 minutes ago, justgary said:

I know, but I can't blame somebody who wants to get it done the old fashioned way.  Even I have a threshold I have to get to before I whip out a cutting tool.

Cutoff wheel or sawzall is almost always the solution to a problem that a hammer won't fix.  But this is coming from a guy who once cut a jeep Comanche into garbage can sized pieces after it ticked me off;)

• Haha 2

Ok im ready to cut since everyone seems to be on board. Another 5 hours wasted and broke another tool today on it. This time it was harmonic balancer puller set, courtesy of amazon. The thick metal piece bent. Also stripped original bolts that were used to connect to transmission. I think that is all for it. Sawzall will do it? Isn't it hardened steel? Any suggestions on the blade to use? And last question just to make sure - there isn't anything on the coupling besides the set screw and the large nut? I mean if I took the nut off. I should be ready to go. Correct? Cause just doesn't make sense why it wouldn't budge at all. 

Edited by svmagnum
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Cutoff wheel in a grinder.  It will be tough to get a cut started with a sawzall, even with a rescue blade. 

Huh.  I would have tried the Sawzall first, but my fear would be poking the hull with the end of the blade.  Of course, I do everything with 12" or longer blades....

The trick with stainless is keeping enough pressure on it to have a decent cut rate.  Stainless will work harden if the cut isn't deep enough.

6 hours ago, svmagnum said:

Cause just doesn't make sense why it wouldn't budge at all.

You even hit it with your purse, right?

Grinder with cutoff wheel to cut it, then clean up any burrs before removing the packing nut as you remove the shaft.

Is your strut bent too?  If so, you might get the shaft out without pulling the rudder. 

35 minutes ago, justgary said:

Huh.  I would have tried the Sawzall first, but my fear would be poking the hull with the end of the blade.  Of course, I do everything with 12" or longer blades....

The trick with stainless is keeping enough pressure on it to have a decent cut rate.  Stainless will work harden if the cut isn't deep enough.

You even hit it with your purse, right?

It is really hard to start a cut with a sawzall on a hardened shaft.  You could start a cut with a cutoff wheel and then use the sawzall with a rescue blade on it and do OK.  Or one of those carbide "Torch" blades.  But I really hate using sawzalls in tight quarters because they like to grab and slam into stuff.

Edited by oldjeep

I got it off! Just going to post it out here for everyone in case they have same issue. 

Here is the tool i got https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09G97T6K4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   But the center bolt is too long. So I went to the bolt store and got a 2 inch center bolt. Used wrench on the bolt and heated the coupling up with propane torch. Not too hot. The tool bent a little but shaft let go at the end! Almost gave up after i saw the tool bending. 

Also for anyone struggling removing the piece of the rudder that goes through the hull. I used regular tie down straps from the trailer. Snuck a rope through center hole, attached second end to the trailer and after a bit of effort it came right off. No need to press against the tank or hammer from above. Don't use pry bar from below because you'll damage the gel coat around it.